Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

:eek: I don’t think they’d mess with a recipe that old. Would they?

It would seem that they would :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can't say I ever remember it being particularly thick, tbh.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I can't say I ever remember it being particularly thick, tbh.

It was never thick but it had a certain viscosity. The latest stuff is like coloured water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've had a look at ours and it's definitely a lighter colour and thinner, with grainy bits. For research purposes I also tasted it and it seems to have less of a kick too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bit of wiki'ing shows Kraft took over the company 5 years ago. I wouldn't put it past them. Don't think I've ever tasted it raw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Anyone gotten a non coconut milk curry that goes well with quorn mince/chicken?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Bit of wiki'ing shows Kraft took over the company 5 years ago. I wouldn't put it past them. Don't think I've ever tasted it raw.

Mr. Dizzy chucks it over peas, fish and sometimes even sausages :D

Bredabe wrote: »
    Anyone gotten a non coconut milk curry that goes well with quorn mince/chicken?

There's a lovely Indian curry recipe on ilovecookingireland's instagram page today.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CGe7Q32ncsH/

Mr. Dizzy chucks it over peas, fish and sometimes even sausages :D

When I worked in the local pub as a lounge boy many moons ago one of the barmen used to put it on King Luxury crisps. Sounds a bit crazy but it was lovely.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    When I worked in the local pub as a lounge boy many moons ago one of the barmen used to put it on King Luxury crisps. Sounds a bit crazy but it was lovely.

That was definitely a thing, I remember it. I didn't like the sogginess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anybody else notice how watery Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce has become? Even when you shake it up it’s still extremely watery.

you can sometimes tell if its obviously changed by looking at the ingredients list and the nutritional info (as proportions might have changed).

There is an old bottle in my house which I guess is several years old (not mine). The info is identical to what is on tescos site. (not saying it has not changed, as the quality/type of ingredients might have)

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=250179584#:~:text=Worcestershire%20sauce.,US%20THAT%20UNIQUE%20FULL%20FLAVOUR.

The other place to check is amazon or tesco uk for reviews.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0074FOPSM/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar
    Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 21 June 2020
    Verified Purchase
    Watered down in flavour and appearance from the original Lea & Perrins product I’m familiar with. Perhaps it’s off or a fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My partner was boxing up a batch cooked ragu I made there and asked if I was sure there was more than two dinners (four servings) in it

There's 1.2kg of meat in it! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anybody else notice how watery Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce has become? Even when you shake it up it’s still extremely watery.

Since making Elderberry Pontack Sauce some years ago, I don't think I've bought a bottle WS.

Put Frank's on the shopping list and my housemate bought the Wings rubbish instead of Original *Dawson crying face*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Put Frank's on the shopping list and my housemate bought the Wings rubbish instead of Original *Dawson crying face*

Get yourself some of Mic's Chilli sauces. They're the absolute business, and I say that as a dear lover of Frank's Hot Sauce. Start with Inferno, and go mad from there.

Get yourself some of Mic's Chilli sauces. They're the absolute business, and I say that as a dear lover of Frank's Hot Sauce. Start with Inferno, and go mad from there.

I have more hot sauces than any one person really has any call to own, but sometimes you just need a glug of good 'ole Frank's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Any ideas on using up frozen raspberries in a cooked way? I bought a bunch of bags for smoothies but the weather turned before we got through them. We’re moving house soon so need to use up the contents of the freezer. I’m thinking something like a raspberry crumble? Needs to be sweet enough as my husband isn’t mad about tart foods, and I don’t want anything cold.

Faith wrote: »
    Any ideas on using up frozen raspberries in a cooked way? I bought a bunch of bags for smoothies but the weather turned before we got through them. We’re moving house soon so need to use up the contents of the freezer. I’m thinking something like a raspberry crumble? Needs to be sweet enough as my husband isn’t mad about tart foods, and I don’t want anything cold.

Steep them in vodka for a week, strain and sweeten as necessary.
    Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yum.

That’s Christmas sorted! :)

Yum.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Wonderful idea! I’m definitely going to make a bottle or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Cook the raspberries with some sugar, vanilla and a splash of rum or vodka (and lemon if you like), add corn starch to thicken, serve hot over vanilla ice cream.

This cheesecake is great, just use raspberries instead of blueberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭phormium

Brownies with raspberries are good too, bakewell tart and throw in layer of raspberries on top of the jam. Mixed in with apples in pies, I find raspberries on their own too tart but good mixed with other fruit, possibly the only way I would eat them as the single fruit would be on a pavlova, enough sugar in that to counteract the tartness. As they are frozen you could cook to a coulis and either make a mousse or just pour it over the pavlova and cream.

All else fails make jam, easier to carry that with you when you move!

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Wonderful idea! I’m definitely going to make a bottle or two.

Just to add, I've never done this, exactly but I have no doubt it would be delicious and sterile!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Just to add, I've never done this, exactly but I have no doubt it would be delicious and sterile!

I've done this. Nice flavoured vodka and boozy raspberries as an end result!

I found a recipe on the BBC website so I'm sold. I was only eyeing up a bottle of Absolut Raspberry the other day, so it's perfect! Raspberry vodka + white lemonade is delish.

Did a sticky chicken and rice dish - didn't want to buy a sauce out of a jar/bottle; so just made it out of multiple bottles instead :pac:

Sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, ketchup, sweet chilli sauce, sugar, black pepper, water.

Local butcher occasionally sells crispy battered chicken, so used that.

Blondies from the Cooking Club?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Raspberry 'cobbler' or blackberry and raspberry / pear and raspberry cobbler.

I need to get one of the freezers empty so it can be defrosted, so I can put back in the drawer I broke (and have since repaired) when fighting it out over an ice build up... in March.

So todays cooking / prep is entirely to run down what's frozen over the next few days:

Frying steaks - sliced thin and marinading in a pseudo-bulgogi marinade of soy, mirin, garlic, ginger, pepper, sugar and sesame oil
    Diced rib eye steak - simmering away to make a beef and gnocchi casserole
    Rather a lot of chicken goujons - giant pot of katsu sauce underway, and this'll use up frozen chips
    Loads of diced fried paneer - there's also a few bags of curry base sauce frozen and that'll use up frozen peas. Will buy a bag of spinach and do a saag paneer if there isn't enough curry base.

This will actually fill the freezer even more temporarily with the freezer boxes/bags but it should be eaten within a week.

After all that effort, we ordered tonights dinner from the Thai down the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭phormium

I defrost my freezer regularly, never empty it first, I take out all the drawers full of stuff and stack them up in the kitchen, cover them up with a few big towels (old ones for these sort of uses) and stick a tray of boiling water in the freezer, repeat when cool, by that time you can chip off any ice easily. All thawed and cleaned out within hour and half or so, nothing thaws in the drawers in that timeline.

Before anyone tells me that's bad for them I have been doing it that way all my life, only on my second freezer, first one lasted over 30 yrs, in fact it never gave up but I thought a newer one would be better/cheaper to run, not true but anyway this one is about 10 yrs old :)

Advertisement