Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I bought some a few weeks ago in Supervalu, but I don't know if I was particulatly lucky or what. Try Dealz, Conor, or even some health food shops.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

New Home wrote: »
    I bought some a few weeks ago in Supervalu, but I don't know if I was particulatly lucky or what. Try Dealz, Conor, or even some health food shops.

Never thought of dealz! Might try it later! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

beertons wrote: »
    Spent a long time cleaning the grill and oven today. Way too long. But I can't stop going into the kitchen now and looking over at the good job.
    Reminds me of this :D

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2020/09/01/local-man-stares-longingly-out-window-at-lawn-he-just-cut/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just wondering, has anyone seen Häagen-dazs 'Strawberries and Cream' ice cream in any shops in Dublin recently?
    In terms of their strawberry flavour options, all I ever see is their 'Strawberry cheesecake' flavour these days which is not a patch on 'Strawberries and Cream' IMO.
    Thanks.

Listed on Tesco, but not available. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=300111335

My local supermarket only had Belgian chocolate and barcode/price for praline and cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Hello earthlings, I’ve bought rib eye steak (around 1” thick, a bit thinner than 1” near the edges) for the first time and I really don’t want to muck it up. I’m not religious but ruining steak actually is a sin. I’m aiming for medium-ish because it’s ribeye. I don’t think ribeye is good medium-rare or rarer. I’ve had it medium-rare and the fat just wasn’t pleasant to eat at that level of doneness.

So how do I achieve juiciness without fat chewiness? A couple of things, I have an electric hob, not a gas one, and I don’t have any metal-handled pans that I can whack in the oven or under a grill.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hello earthlings, I’ve bought rib eye steak (around 1” thick, a bit thinner than 1” near the edges) for the first time and I really don’t want to muck it up. I’m not religious but ruining steak actually is a sin. I’m aiming for medium-ish because it’s ribeye. I don’t think ribeye is good medium-rare or rarer. I’ve had it medium-rare and the fat just wasn’t pleasant to eat at that level of doneness.

So how do I achieve juiciness without fat chewiness? A couple of things, I have an electric hob, not a gas one, and I don’t have any metal-handled pans that I can whack in the oven or under a grill.

Many thanks!

Fat chewiness really depends on the quality of steak tbh. The best way to cook premium cooks of steak is fast on a high heat. Cast iron pans are great for this. For a supermarket ribeye (Aldi’s ones are fantastic) I’d do them is a smoking hot cast iron pan for about 2mins to 2.5mins each side and then another minute off the heat basting it in butter added to the pan with some sliced garlic and maybe a sprig of Rosemary or Thyme. Perfect medium steak.

You could get similar with electric hob but heat is the key.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Fat chewiness really depends on the quality of steak tbh. The best way to cook premium cooks of steak is fast on a high heat. Cast iron pans are great for this. For a supermarket ribeye (Aldi’s ones are fantastic) I’d do them is a smoking hot cast iron pan for about 2mins to 2.5mins each side and then another minute off the heat basting it in butter added to the pan with some sliced garlic and maybe a sprig of Rosemary or Thyme. Perfect medium steak.

You could get similar with electric hob but heat is the key.

I don’t know, my husband got chewy rib-eye in FX Buckley once. It was at a work dinner where he was surrounded by steak snobs/knobs so felt under pressure to not order above a rare doneness and that was first and only “bad” steak he got there. I put bad in inverted commas because I reckon it wasn’t bad steak, just not done for long enough because he specifically mentioned how chewy the fat was. I got these steaks from a butcher I really like so I hope they are good quality.

Thanks for the timings! To be even more awkward, the best steak pan I have - the only one that will give a nice brown sear - is thin-bottomed. I do not have a well-stocked kitchen. :D:o How can I adjust the timings for that? I’ve definitely ruined steak before on this pan and I do think it was down to the thinness of the pan. The other two pans I have are not thick-bottomed either but maybe a bit thicker than the one I use. But they’ll just not work for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone ever come across a good shop bought shepherds pie? I got a Cully and Sully one during the week because it was reduced, I think full price was 2.99 or 3.49. Anyway the proportion of meat to mash was about 1:3, it tasted more like a pototo pie with just a little bit of meat in it

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone ever come across a good shop bought shepherds pie? I got a Cully and Sully one during the week because it was reduced, I think full price was 2.99 or 3.49. Anyway the proportion of meat to mash was about 1:3, it tasted more like a pototo pie with just a little bit of meat in it

No, never. They are always crap. I’ve never bought ready-made shepherd’s pie from decent independent delis though. They might be your best bet if you’re near one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On the steak thing.
    I find putting steaks in a 50°ish oven for at least 20 minutes after frying does wonders. Evens out the cooking and makes for a more tender steak.

At that temperature, it won't overcook.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Listed on Tesco, but not available. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=300111335

My local supermarket only had Belgian chocolate and barcode/price for praline and cream.

Thanks TBO. Hopefully it's not gone forever!

No, never. They are always crap. I’ve never bought ready-made shepherd’s pie from decent independent delis though. They might be your best bet if you’re near one.

Yeah Ive had the cheapo Tesco one in the past and that was awful muck too. Had expected better from Cully and Sully though when its being sold as a premium product but the meat portion was just really scabby. I like shepherds pie but its just not something Id go to the trouble of making at home, maybe I should. Will try seek out a good deli one first though :pac:

Yeah Ive had the cheapo Tesco one in the past and that was awful muck too. Had expected better from Cully and Sully though when its being sold as a premium product but the meat portion was just really scabby. I like shepherds pie but its just not something Id go to the trouble of making at home, maybe I should. Will try seek out a good deli one first though :pac:

I feel exactly the same. Same with lasagne. Ditto chicken kiev. All far too fiddly to bother making, even though homemade is best.

I eat savoury mince and mash for dinner instead. I plan to make a shepherd’s pie but then I just think “Why bother with the oven bit?” and just finish cooking the mince on the hob. Let’s call it deconstructed shepherd’s pie. The crusty cheesy bits aren’t worth the extra work and dirtying of more cookware. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I feel exactly the same. Same with lasagne. Ditto chicken kiev. All far too fiddly to bother making, even though homemade is best.

I eat savoury mince and mash for dinner instead. I plan to make a shepherd’s pie but then I just think “Why bother with the oven bit?” and just finish cooking the mince on the hob. Let’s call it deconstructed shepherd’s pie. The crusty cheesy bits aren’t worth the extra work and dirtying of more cookware. :pac:

I'm the same!
    Anything where you have to stove cook first, then assemble, then bake, I can't be bothered!

Yet these are the things that a lot of restaurants/cafes don't do either!
    I'd love to have stuffed peppers, a chicken pie or a good moussaka, but nowhere does them.
    It's all pizza and burgers...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm the opposite, I'd never order shepherd's pie or lasagna or the like out as they're so easily made at home. When I'm eating out I like to get things I can't make at home, or at least not to restaurant standard.

Same reason I gave up ordering steak in restaurants years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, I'd never order shepherd's pie or lasagna or the like out as they're so easily made at home. When I'm eating out I like to get things I can't make at home, or at least not to restaurant standard.

The only time I've ordered lasagne out in about a decade I was in Italy and yes it was wonderful... so you might want to make a slight exception to your rule for that :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah Im in the same boat. Id maybe make lasagna from scratch twice a year, three at a push. I always enjoy it but because its time consuming Im put off making it more often. Im the same with beef rendang which is one of my favourite curries to eat but making it means going in and out of the kitchen to stir it around about 20 times over a four hour cook, you feel tied to the kitchen for the whole afternoon. So thats another dish Id only make twice a year at best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks TBO. Hopefully it's not gone forever!

Just saw in Costcutter for a fiver, the manager tends to get some stuff from NI which may be why. Think Super Valu had the Belgian chocolate for €6.19 or so.

This only brings up a Tesco link which is out of stock. https://www.haagen-dazs.ie/products/strawberries-and-cream-pint

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Just saw in Costcutter for a fiver, the manager tends to get some stuff from NI which may be why. Think Super Valu had the Belgian chocolate for €6.19 or so.

This only brings up a Tesco link which is out of stock. https://www.haagen-dazs.ie/products/strawberries-and-cream-pint

I'll be off to find a Costcutter so, thanks a mill:D

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »

Well yeah, I wouldn’t generally order things like lasagne or shepherd’s pie in a restaurant. But I’m happy to pay to have other people make them for me for home consumption. Which means that I really don’t eat them that often. You can buy decent shop-bought lasagne but shepherd’s pie? Fawgeddaboudit. Good independent delis probably do decent ones but I’ve none near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lasagne is a bit of an effort all right but come on cottage pie is handy throw together. If you want to save on washing make your mince on the hob in a casserole dish and throw the mash on top. If I served them separately the kids would only pick at it! Baked with cheesy mash, clean plates!

Lasagne I often spread the effort, I'll make the ragu first night and just have some with pasta and next day I just have to make the white sauce and build it. Made the ragu in the instant pot last time and that saved so much time and effort I could actually make it in one evening.

They are both dishes I tend to cook in bulk though and freeze portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Lidl beef brisket pie is very nice and is, basically, what most people refer to as shepherd's pie.

Ryath wrote: »
    Lasagne is a bit of an effort all right but come on cottage pie is handy throw together. If you want to save on washing make your mince on the hob in a casserole dish and throw the mash on top. If I served them separately the kids would only pick at it! Baked with cheesy mash, clean plates!

I honestly find shepherd’s pie just as time-consuming as lasagne but your mileage may vary! I’ve become a bit lazy in the kitchen and I cannot get past the fact that once I’ve the mash made, the mince is nearly done and I can lob it all on a plate. I can see how for feeding kids, a pie might be more appealing, especially to fussy kids with the crusty cheese that looks yummy, rather than formless mash and mince chucked on a plate.
    They are both dishes I tend to cook in bulk though and freeze portions.

They are very good dishes to batch cook for sure. My father died suddenly a few months ago and the neighbours were wonderful. We were inundated with lasagnes and shepherd’s pies. So helpful and the fact that they freeze so well meant nothing went to waste and we didn’t have to think about cooking for the guts of a week. We also got neighbour quiche but, well, that didn’t last long enough for freezing. Delicious, I tell you!

Lasagne I often spread the effort, I'll make the ragu first night and just have some with pasta and next day I just have to make the white sauce and build it. Made the ragu in the instant pot last time and that saved so much time and effort I could actually make it in one evening.

How does ragu work out in the instant pot, is it a very watery ragu at the end of it that needs to be thickened somehow? Anytime I make chilli in it I always end up with more liquids than what when in to it at the start and then have to use the saute function to reduce it while also thickening the gravy with cornflour.

How does ragu work out in the instant pot, is it a very watery ragu at the end of it that needs to be thickened somehow? Anytime I make chilli in it I always end up with more liquids than what when in to it at the start and then have to use the saute function to reduce it while also thickening the gravy with cornflour.

I didn't add any extra water which I usually would would rinsing out tomato can/jar. Did need to saute it for a few minutes at end to reduce it but didn't take that long. If you think Lasagne layers are time consuming try stuffing cannelloni tubes!

552368.jpg

Thats some tidy work there with the cannelloni tubes, I just know I would mess that up!

When making ragu in the instant pot with just a can of tomatoes do you ever get a burn notice or is there enough liquid to prevent that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I often make a deconstructed shepard's pie or deconstructed fish pie. I'd happily eat the crusty topping in a restaurant, but I don't feel the extra time and effort is worth it at home. Deconstructed versions taste pretty damn good!

I've tried lasanges from supermarkets in the past, but in my experience, there's nowhere enough meat and waaaay too much white sauce. I usually cheat a bit making it at home - I use a jar of bolanese sauce, but I make the white sauce from scratch. I obviously assemble it all myself, which means I can get the proportions juuust right :) Even with the bolanese sauce from a jar, it's far superior to any of the ones I've bought in the supermarket before.

I used pasatta that time with no issue 20 minute cook on high. I have had issues with cans of chopped tomatoes making chilli though and I had to open it and add water. Think the seed are more likely to catch and burn. Have seen in some recipes just to pour tomato in on top of and don't stir it in till after you've cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

I didn't add any extra water which I usually would would rinsing out tomato can/jar. Did need to saute it for a few minutes at end to reduce it but didn't take that long. If you think Lasagne layers are time consuming try stuffing cannelloni tubes!

It's worth it though! Love cannelloni, on the to do list now.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement