Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you use a sac à poche it takes no time at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Ryath wrote: »
    I didn't add any extra water which I usually would would rinsing out tomato can/jar. Did need to saute it for a few minutes at end to reduce it but didn't take that long. If you think Lasagne layers are time consuming try stuffing cannelloni tubes!

Do you leave the mince mixture cool down before you fill the tubes or fill when it's hot?
    I saw a tip online about using a funnel to fill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Recliner wrote: »
    I didn't add any extra water which I usually would would rinsing out tomato can/jar. Did need to saute it for a few minutes at end to reduce it but didn't take that long. If you think Lasagne layers are time consuming try stuffing cannelloni tubes!

Do you leave the mince mixture cool down before you fill the tubes or fill when it's hot?
    I saw a tip online about using a funnel to fill them.

I filled them the next day so it was cold. Have filled them hot before but it was easier doing it cold.

I just stand it on end and fill them with a tea spoon. Doesn't take that long really.
    Might try a funnel when its warm next time. The one I have is pretty narrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You gotta love marketing nonsense. Opened up a pack of rocket leaves earlier and just noticed on the label “Ready to wash”

As if that’s a thing!! Surely everything is “Ready to wash”?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You gotta love marketing nonsense. Opened up a pack of rocket leaves earlier and just noticed on the label “Ready to wash”

As if that’s a thing!! Surely everything is “Ready to wash”?!?

It's like "hand-finished" or "hand-carved". Whoop-de-fecking-do. That won't make the food any nicer, FFS.

• Advertisement

Those Kitchen Utensil's everyone seemed to love on here are £4.66 for us now after adding £12 voucher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FMJFX93/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3U30R2Y0W1AO7&psc=1

Taken from the Amazon Bargain thread. Might be of some interest to the folks here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cheers, I bought those. I need them as much as I need a chocolate teapot but oh well

Faith wrote: »
    Cheers, I bought those. I need them as much as I need a chocolate teapot but oh well

I’m so tempted but I would literally have to clear out a full drawer to make space for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I got them as the silcone spatulas I have are pretty weathered from too many trips to the dishwasher. And Ikeas ones were made smaller about 18 months back and are frustrating to use as a scraper, I threw it out and just kept using the old ones which are for the bin now anyway. 8 pieces for 5.52 was a great bargain

Anyway anyone know about chickpeas for making falafels? Ive seen a couple of recipies saying not to use chickpeans canned in water as they dont deliver a good texture in the falafel and can fall apart becasue there is too much water in them. Recipes said instead to use dried chickpeas and re-hydrate them yourself. Where can you get dried chickpeas, theres none in Aldi anyway and I asked in Dunnes and they said they dont do them either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I got them as the silcone spatulas I have are pretty weathered from too many trips to the dishwasher. And Ikeas ones were made smaller about 18 months back and are frustrating to use as a scraper, I threw it out and just kept using the old ones which are for the bin now anyway. 8 pieces for 5.52 was a great bargain

Anyway anyone know about chickpeas for making falafels? Ive seen a couple of recipies saying not to use chickpeans canned in water as they dont deliver a good texture in the falafel and can fall apart becasue there is too much water in them. Recipes said instead to use dried chickpeas and re-hydrate them yourself. Where can you get dried chickpeas, theres none in Aldi anyway and I asked in Dunnes and they said they dont do them either

Tescos sell them, a little hit and miss since brexit.

I use this recipe and it never fails. Always have a bag of frozen ones in the freezer.

https://www.recipetineats.com/falafel-recipe/

I just do the salad from the doner kebab recipe on the cooking club, garlic mayo and siracha.

Got your new deep fat fryer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Not a falafel recipe, but has instructions for cooking chickpeas, getting rid of the skins makes a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

cefh17 wrote: »
    Not a falafel recipe, but has instructions for cooking chickpeas, getting rid of the skins makes a big difference

That works lovely for smooth hummus, you dont cook chickpeas before making falafel so no need.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Tescos sell them, a little hit and miss since brexit.

I use this recipe and it never fails. Always have a bag of frozen ones in the freezer.

https://www.recipetineats.com/falafel-recipe/

I just do the salad from the doner kebab recipe on the cooking club, garlic mayo and siracha.

Got your new deep fat fryer?

cheers will try Tesco for them.

Yeah I got the new deep fat fryer a few weeks back but only gave it a run out there during the week for the first time with some KFC chicken. Its the Tefal Oleoclean model that you recommended on here a few months back.

I think is a great piece of kit, it could perhaps have more sturdy steel housing but apart from that the cleaning and storage system for the oil is genius. When I was finished frying about 8 pieces of chicken thighs the vegetable oil had turned a really cloudy dark brown colour. But upon filtering it to the storage below all the detritus was left in the main unit which I wiped out with paper towels and the oil itself in the storage unit below was a lot closer to its normal colour. It really solves that problem of dirty oil and allows you to use it over and over again without any crap floating in it and onto your food. Plus there is no faffing around draining the oil as its all automatic. So Im happy out with it, thanks again for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    cheers will try Tesco for them.

Yeah I got the new deep fat fryer a few weeks back but only gave it a run out there during the week for the first time with some KFC chicken. Its the Tefal Oleoclean model that you recommended on here a few months back.

I think is a great piece of kit, it could perhaps have more sturdy steel housing but apart from that the cleaning and storage system for the oil is genius. When I was finished frying about 8 pieces of chicken thighs the vegetable oil had turned a really cloudy dark brown colour. But upon filtering it to the storage below all the detritus was left in the main unit which I wiped out with paper towels and the oil itself in the storage unit below was a lot closer to its normal colour. It really solves that problem of dirty oil and allows you to use it over and over again without any crap floating in it and onto your food. Plus there is no faffing around draining the oil as its all automatic. So Im happy out with it, thanks again for the recommendation.

Interesting, thanks for that. And how do you cope with the lingering smell of the cooking fat? Or is it not a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I put m deep fat fryer outside the kitchen window on an old table and use an extension lead. That wy the smell stays outside and we have homemade chips about twice per month. Can't stand the smell of the fryer inside

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Prepping a bit of a Sunday meat feast :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=553842&d=1621765370

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

awec wrote: »
    Prepping a bit of a Sunday meat feast :)

That looks amazing! I've a Roast Chicken in the Slow Cooker!

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

conor_ie wrote: »
    That looks amazing! I've a Roast Chicken in the Slow Cooker!

Sugar Pit pork ribs going in the Kamado for the day, then once they're done I'll reverse sear the big rib eye.

Gonna have the sweats.

Ribs are these ones from Hannan's meats in Moira:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Omg they look amazing!

Interesting, thanks for that. And how do you cope with the lingering smell of the cooking fat? Or is it not a problem?

I place the the deep fat fryer on the hob under the extractor fan so it hasnt been too bad. The lid also has a filter on it, not sure what is inside but suppose it helps.

• Advertisement

Recliner wrote: »
    Mustard seems to be the popular choice for the cheese sauce.

Eventually got around to making cauliflower cheese again.
    Made basic white sauce, seasoned with salt, pepper, freshly grated nutmeg and Colmans mustard powder.
    Used mature white cheddar, emmental and parmesan.

The hubby gave it a definite thumbs up, it honestly tasted gorgeous.
    And because I had possibly the biggest cauliflower ever known to man, there's loads left over.
    It was a behemoth!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Had to order a replacement blade for a Braun hand mixer yolk. You should see the size outer parcel box they used...

The tefal fryer mentioned a few pages back is down to £41. I ordered last night but it's saying now doesn't deliver to Ireland for. Seems to be an issue the last day or so it changing. Some have got things ordered using incognito mode or strangely with a Dublin address but not country one. So you may still be able to get it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B077Y84X67/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Undecided if I actually need to it though. Another gadget to store and only deep fry the odd bit hob using a saucepan and store the oil in the fridge after. Used an IR thermometer last worked well to control the temp I usually just eyeball it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

The Tefal fryer on offer won't ship to Ireland on a Midlands address but the one not on offer selling for £98.00 will ship to Ireland both say "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon." Good old Amazon again making things complicated since January. Don't need a new fryer but this is happening way to often on what I do try and order from them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

There's something going on with amazon ordering the last day or two. Even people in UK are getting messages that items don't ship to their location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I'm in NI and it won't ship to me either. I just assume it's because of Brexit. I've noticed a lot of products on Amazon.co.uk that won't ship here recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

There's something going on with amazon ordering the last day or two. Even people in UK are getting messages that items don't ship to their location.

I just tried my brothers address for the fryer in the UK where I regularly send stuff to his kids and can't deliver to that address either so it must be an IT problem somewhere.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

My husband reckons to try the German Amazon site if you want stuff delivered to Ireland. Maybe an option.

The tefal fryer mentioned a few pages back is down to £41. I ordered last night but it's saying now doesn't deliver to Ireland for. Seems to be an issue the last day or so it changing. Some have got things ordered using incognito mode or strangely with a Dublin address but not country one. So you may still be able to get it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B077Y84X67/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Undecided if I actually need to it though. Another gadget to store and only deep fry the odd bit hob using a saucepan and store the oil in the fridge after. Used an IR thermometer last worked well to control the temp I usually just eyeball it.

yeah I actually got an email from Keepa.com to say the price had dropped again to £41, I had paid £60 and that was down from about £80. Was going to post it up here but then saw it was saying no delivery to Ireland and no delivery to UK either. I think it was an Amazon glitch as others said, people were having problems ordering lots of products yesterday on Amazon.

As to weather you need it Id say provided you have the storage space to put it away then its good to have it around for the odd use which is how I'll be using it. The oil storage system is what makes it for me, Ive always been put off by the amount of crap that gathers in the oil and then the hassle of filtering it into a bottle when its cold. Whereas with this yolk you just flick a switch and it filters and cleans the oil automatically and stores it away for the next use.

Be aware though that the basket isnt massive, Id say its good for cooking for 1-2 people, any more and youd need the bigger Pro model. The Compact model can do 2 portions of chips at a time but not 3, it can do 3 portions of breaded chicken thigh fillets but 4 would be a squash.

Im enjoying my new kitchen gadget so far anyway. I used it yesterday evening to make beer battered cod with Tom Kerridges triple cooked chips using maris pipers and then buttered garden peas and a big slob of tartare sauce. I added a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to the beer batter mix so after deep frying it the bubbles in the beer batter expanded and then crystallised all over the fish, the crunch was delicious, as was the whole meal.

Falafels are next on the list for the deep fat fryer and they are one of the reasons why I bought it. Im trying to eat a little bit less meat and I think falafels are a good way to do it, The plan is to find a good falafel recipe and then use the fryer to batch cook 30 or 40 falafel balls at a time and then freeze most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You reminded me of someone posting a falafel recipe a bit back in this thread - it was eeepaulo :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117235784&postcount=1271

Advertisement