Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

First world problems I know but fresh ginger seems to be impossible to get. Have looked out for it in Dunnes, Supervalue and Aldi for almost two weeks now and each time Im left gingerless. Tesco/Lidl is 15km from me so they're not an option. I made a chicken kung pao on Thursday night but it just wasnt the same without the ginger.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My greengrocer has zero supply issues for anything and had the usual volume of fresh ginger today (I bought some). Also had it last week (when I also bought some... I use a lot when I have time to cook - like now)

The only difference is they are selling Keelings catering supply eggs - 15 boxes, free range - rather than their usual supplier but everything else is totally normal.

So if you have an indie greengrocer to try anywhere that'd be my first stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Muahahaha wrote: »
    First world problems I know but fresh ginger seems to be impossible to get. Have looked out for it in Dunnes, Supervalue and Aldi for almost two weeks now and each time Im left gingerless. Tesco/Lidl is 15km from me so they're not an option. I made a chicken kung pao on Thursday night but it just wasnt the same without the ginger.

Have you tried the freezer aisles? I haven’t tried frozen ginger (well I usually freeze it myself but I haven’t bought it frozen and chopped) but I bought chopped frozen herbs recently and they were excellent so frozen ginger might be worth a try if they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What about squeezy ginger that you can get in a tube? Always see it n Dunnes and Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What about squeezy ginger that you can get in a tube? Always see it n Dunnes and Tesco

Its not great... I have used it when too lazy to deal with fresh ginger. Also the Very Lazy sliced ginger in vinegar (if its still available, as I've not seen it for a while), suffers the same not great issue.

Its still better than not having any at all, or using dried ground.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always have a little box of frozen ginger from Aldi in, it's pretty good. I use ginger so seldom that when I buy fresh I always throw it in the freezer anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Springwell wrote: »
    We keep these in stock also!

If anyone's struggling for strong flour try Kells (kellswholemeal.ie) - they mill in ireland and if you can store 12.5kg of flour it's good value. Delivery is €5. We make a lot of bread and also sourdough so it's worth it for us. Usually use the Oland and the French

Oland and French out of stock.
    Anyone got ideas as to where to get strong white flour? 12 or 25kg sack and willing to split a few ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Ryath

https://collect.pallasfoods.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Flour

I got a 10kg bag yesterday. Fresh yeast too. Good value got a few more things and have another order in for next week that will give us most of our weeks shopping. Much safer and handier than going to shop. Catering sizes on a lot of items so you'll need a big fridge/freezer.

Great stuff, thanks. Which Strong flour did you get? I can only see 16kg bags?

Was actually just Tipo 00 I got. Still have a few kg of strong left so don't need it yet. They have 2 8kg bags of Odlums strong four.

https://collect.pallasfoods.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=strong%20flour

• Advertisement

Brilliant!!!
    Did a first order. Odlums and meat. Local delivery.....thrilled. Thanks so much for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Jeepers, the wife would kill me if I ordered a sack of flour. Tempted though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We ordered 16kg of strong flour after reading about it here. (Thanks for the heads up!) Might draw a face on it and give it a name. Not like we have anything else to do.

Planet X wrote: »
    Brilliant!!!
    Did a first order. Odlums and meat. Local delivery.....thrilled. Thanks so much for the heads up.

Just spotted it's 8*2kg so easier store. Not as good value as the big bags though. It's very handy for me too great to stock up and do some batch cooking.
    Jeepers, the wife would kill me if I ordered a sack of flour. Tempted though. :D

It was the wife who wanted it! It's easy for her though shes's not the one that makes the breads and pizzas!

She wanted these too! At least it saved me from having to make batter for our usual Sunday morning waffles or pancakes!

507464.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

EDIT: That's ok!

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I hope I can ask this here, but does anyone know if these tesco sausages rolls can be eaten cold as well as hot, I'd like to have some sausage rolls this week, but every other packet of them seems to require an oven to cook them in and mine is broken right now.

Sorry _Godot_ that is safety advice. If someone answered your question incorrectly, it puts Boards.ie at risk of being sued.

The Gloomster!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

#CrokesCommunity - To assist the community, Kilmacud Crokes has agreed to make our car park available to Pallas Foods. Ireland’s number 1 food wholesaler will be introducing a contact-free, next-day click and collect service.

This service is available now through www.pallascollect.ie, with all prices including vat and by credit card only.

This initiative will assist nervous shoppers, avoid shortages and bulk buying. Pallas Foods are also supporting the Crokes Community projec...t where we are ensuring vulnerable people will be able to source produce.

Pallas Foods are responsible for all controls and adherence to HSE guidelines, with the licence clear and strict.

https://kilmacudcrokes.com/club/kilmacud-crokes-supporting-community-pallas-foods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Just saw on Twitter last night that my favourite speciality food shop Sawers (Belfast) is doing deliveries of pasta, meat and cheese. I am beyond delighted.

https://twitter.com/SAWERSLTD/status/1244291196014428162

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

How is everyone copying with shopping less often and with the meal planning ?
    For me:
    Breakfast is easy: coffee and greek style youghurt with honey.
    I am working from home, so lunch has to be quick: pasta with a ready made sauce (lots of good Italian ones out there) or with tuna.
    For dinner, I don't want to eat meat every day, so I rotate meat with pulses: tinned chick peas and borlotti beans; also frozen peas.
    And for side vegs, I mainly buy cherry tomatoes, and then frozen: spinach and leeks mainly.
    Fruit: still eating oranges and mandarins/clementines. Looking forward to the first strawberries now.

Unreal queues at the supermarkets now. People stocking up for the weekend. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah did all mine yesterday. OK here now until Monday. I find making a meal plan for a few days means you don't need to go to the shops at busy times and theres much less waste.

Queue at my local Tesco yesterday was big so can only imagine what today is like.

We’re having our first virtual dinner party tonight. Friends from up the road and the other side of the world coming. Should be fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did mine yesterday a day earlier than planned for that very reason. If there's another of Leo's Friday speeches it'll be mad later on and for a few days.

I have to say it's a PITA having to do a whole week's shop in one go rather than every couple of days as before. I'm not used to planning what I want to eat a whole week in advance!

The Nal wrote: »
    Queue at my local Tesco yesterday was big so can only imagine what today is like.
    Was out onto the main road beside me, I can see how full it is from my window which is handy. I go later on in the day, it pays not to be fussy, and I am surprised that a lot of my usual stuff is there, in fact stuff which is often sold out in tesco.

I still see people going seemingly just for something to do or definitely not trying to minimize their trips. I see a woman on my road is up and down nearly every day, she just passed now with a fairly empty looking single bag, ridiculous.

In the UK many supermarkets have restrictions on how many items you can buy, so you end up with people with large families having to do MORE shops than normal. Or go around visiting multiple shops. There should be a better way to do it, e.g. go in with all your childrens passports or something like that, obviously not everybody will have passports, but some way of recognising people are legit.

Alun wrote: »
    I have to say it's a PITA having to do a whole week's shop in one go rather than every couple of days as before. I'm not used to planning what I want to eat a whole week in advance!
    Was the same as you, and had to adapt pretty sharpish to this "new normal".
    Now manage to go out for food only twice a week:
    Once a week I go to the butcher and to a local organic shop
    Another day, I go to a supermarket and buy everything else that the organic shop either does not have (some household cleaning stuff), or has at a premium price (like tuna, some cheeses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Alun wrote: »

This! So much.
    I'm rubbish at planning meals for a whole week, and some things I would be used to having (lettuce, spring onions, grapes, berries) tend to struggle to stay fresh for a full week.
    And it's no help that I've a husband who cannot possibly know what he might want for tea until maybe 2 hours beforehand.

Shenshen wrote: »
    This! So much.
    I'm rubbish at planning meals for a whole week, and some things I would be used to having (lettuce, spring onions, grapes, berries) tend to struggle to stay fresh for a full week.
    And it's no help that I've a husband who cannot possibly know what he might want for tea until maybe 2 hours beforehand.

I don't plan each day in advance though: I start thinking about my dinner at lunchtime.
    Just realised how much time I spend thinking about food now ! Before this started, I would not have given it too much thought. Like my food, but in a "happy go lucky" way.

What we eat is probably one of the few things we have control of, right now (assuming that we can still find everything we need/want at the shops)

I have a voucher for tesco that expires on sunday, I just hope Leo keeps his bloody trap shut and doesn't spark another invasion of the toilet roll monsters.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have a voucher for tesco that expires on sunday, I just hope Leo keeps his bloody trap shut and doesn't spark another invasion of the toilet roll monsters.

I’d start queuing now if today was anything to go by! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I’d start queuing now if today was anything to go by! :rolleyes:
    haha, I was over just 35mins ago and turned back, I live really near. Still queues so I wasn't sure if I would be able to get beer before the stupid 10pm deadline -which I think should be scrapped around this time, and the morning limit esp. as many supermarkets have early morning priority for various groups.

Advertisement