Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers cycling to school

Options
  • 30-09-2019 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

My 13 & 15 year olds have started cycling to school. 6km of Dublin traffic. My heart is in my mouth. I cycle and drive, so know the dangers very well from both perspectives. I’ve said hi viz and helmets are non negotiable. And we’ve done practice runs.
    I suppose i’m looking for reassurance from other parents whose kids cycle in Dublin... and any other tips for safety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Good locks for the bike shed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

How safe/dangerous is the route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

grazer wrote: »
    My 13 & 15 year olds have started cycling to school. 6km of Dublin traffic. My heart is in my mouth. I cycle and drive, so know the dangers very well from both perspectives. I’ve said hi viz and helmets are non negotiable. And we’ve done practice runs.
    I suppose i’m looking for reassurance from other parents whose kids cycle in Dublin... and any other tips for safety.

Hi viz and helmets don't help. Tell them to take the center of the lane if there is a danger of a close pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Defensive cycling training
    Take the lane.

Lights. Hiviz is no comparison to proper lights

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

sasta le wrote: »
    How safe/dangerous is the route
    Some cycle lanes, some narrow two way roads with lots of parked cars, cars coming out of driveways etc. Dublin cycling is generally dangerous as far as i’m concerned (and I say that as a cyclist and a driver). They’re sensible enough, but anyone cycling in rush hour traffic needs their wits about them. Not always the case with teenagers.

• Advertisement

Take the lane.

Yes they have lights and have been told to have them on for every trip.

Relax a bit. Cycling isn't that dangerous. Rush-hour means lots of cars for sure but they are barely moving. You don't need lights when it's not dark.

Relax a bit. Cycling isn't that dangerous. Rush-hour means lots of cars for sure but they are barely moving. You don't need lights when it's not dark.

Yep, trying to relax! It’s a very good thing overall. And great for their independence. And my mornings.

Yep, trying to relax! It’s a very good thing overall. And great for their independence. And my mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭patmahe

You can also get wearable lights, I have two to the back of my helmet. My thinking is it's two lights high up and highly visible. Also I believe the fact that they move if I move my head means someone following behind might register that I am a cyclist that bit earlier.

Reflectors in the wheels or those spoke reflectors would also be good to ensure visibility from the side, you can get reflective strips too, to put anywhere on the bike.

If the are carrying their schoolbags (assuming they are a dark colour) then a high Viz bag cover would be a good idea and will keep the bag dryer on wet days, oh and get them mudguards ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Good lights and traffic awareness is all they need.
    Tell them to look behind themselves when they change line (that's the no 1 dangerous behaviour I see other cyclists (not) doing daily).
    Keep out from the edge of the road, good set of lights, enjoy their independence!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

As long as they aren't using their phone while riding, they'll be doing better than a lot of kids I see on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭plodder

Goes without saying, but still needs to be said. Obey traffic/pedestrian lights, take special care at junctions. I see a lot of kids just sailing through them without stopping or barely slowing.

If it were my kids, I'd insist on good lights, and some hi-viz/reflective elements, eg arm /ankle bands and a bag cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

A bell for pedestrians who are about to wander off the path (on the bike, not on the pedestrian)

And slow down, with hands on the brake when cycling passed parked cars. I can't tell you how many of my friends have been creamed by idiots not checking to see if there's a cyclist coming before opening their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Can you go with them the first handful of times? I would cycle behind them and watch their decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fair play.

I wish it was an option, we have 7km of dangerous road so it’s impossible, plus both parents pass the schools on route to work.

I notice at my daughters secondary school I only see 2 kids cycling to school out of 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Also choose the safest route rather than the shortest. I scooped out many routes from home to school before settling on the best

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

they are only kids, tell them to cycle on the path if they need to

site_owner wrote: »
    they are only kids, tell them to cycle on the path if they need to

Isn't it odd how responsible adults cycling on the footpath is considered dangerous by some despite the complete lack of evidence but if it's kids it's grand.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

_Brian wrote: »
    Fair play.

I wish it was an option, we have 7km of dangerous road so it’s impossible, plus both parents pass the schools on route to work.

I notice at my daughters secondary school I only see 2 kids cycling to school out of 800.

Nothings impossible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

flatface wrote: »
    Also choose the safest route rather than the shortest. I scooped out many routes from home to school before settling on the best

Same, checked out the best route which ended up slightly longer. Also got her to cross one of the more dodgy intersections at a pedestrian crossing rather than with traffic, where the cycle lane was on the inside of left turning traffic an she needed to go straight ahead. Once you plan the route, cycle it a few times yourself, look for the hazard spots and the best way to get through them, it should be safe enough. Things like box turns and using pedestrian crossings as needs be while a bit slower can de-risk most routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Might be no harm in getting a Cycliq camera (or similar) for them - for "incident protection".

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Take the lane.

Is this a thing? I'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Eye contact with drivers is really useful thing to do - it makes sure you've been seen and you can gauge then whether it's safe to complete your manouver. Worth making sure kids get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I'm a daily commuting cyclist. Just over 5k each way. My tuppence worth:
    1. Stick out the arms, and make eye contact with the driver. They'll often wave you across. Contrary to some beliefs, I don't think any driver wants to kill a cyclist let alone one cycling to school.
    2. Obey the rules of the road. You won't save anything cycling on the footpath, or through a pedestrian/red light.
    3. Get a good set of lights, high-vis. It might not be the law (re the high-vis, but the RSA give them out for free), but its the law of common sense. A set of rechargeable USB lights costs about 20 quid. Even at dusk, they are worth having on.
    4. Don't think you own the road.
    5. Pick the safest route, not the shortest one.

Join them for a day or two as well, see how you all get on. Happy cycling, its a great way to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Hi viz and helmets don't help. Tell them to take the center of the lane if there is a danger of a close pass.

Same for door zone if they travel past parked cars. Ensure they know it's ok to do this and of course ensure they don't pull in and out from behind parked vehicles suddenly. Instead move out before the obstruction and claim their place. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Take the lane.

I'd agree, get them permanent fitted lights and use them for all journeys day and night as good practice. Some suggestions:

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku-scheinwerfer/parent/163/produkt/163.html

http://en.bumm.de/products/battery-rear-lights/secula-permanent.html

There are many options out there to suit budget. Don't scrimp. Same then as someone else said a good lock is important.

Lastly some pack away rain gear and your all set.

Myself and my family we have graduated from Hi-Vis and helmets as a charade. Would pull out the REFLECTIVE hi-vis if it was extremely wet weather at night but otherwise we trust our working lights to ensure we are seen. The rest then left to the gods.

If you have to cross a roundabout practice it with them and help them to understand how to anticipate drivers and also signal if they are comfortable with that.

Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

And slow down, with hands on the brake when cycling passed parked cars. I can't tell you how many of my friends have been creamed by idiots not checking to see if there's a cyclist coming before opening their door.
    Best advice here is to advise them to cycle 1.5m out from parked cars. Sadly, oncoming drivers might expect them to move in, and cross over onto their side of the road. They should know when to take evasive action, and when to hold their graound.

• Advertisement

Well, their enthusiasm for cycling will certainly be tested this afternoon! ☔️🌧☔️🌧

Advertisement