Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from UK (amazon.co.uk etc) and using Parcel motel etc after no deal brexit

Options
  • 30-09-2019 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Whats going to happen when buying on amazon.co.uk and shipping it to belfast(and into ROI) after no deal Brexit next month.

listening to an advert on the radio this morning about having to pay 23% VAT all goods bought online from UK companies. i understand amazon is not a UK company . but if it originates in UK (amazon UK warehouse) or comes through UK on the way to ROI will it be considered UK goods?

here is a link to the website in the advert:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/brexit/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

Currently, when buying from an EU country, as a consumer, you already pay the VAT in that country. In the event of a no deal, the UK "should" remove whatever tax they add, as it is an export, and then the VAT will be added when it lands here.
    Similar to non EU visitors being able to claim tax back at the airport when they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

that will be interesting, trying to get a UK company to take VAT off the price of goods you are buying online as an irish consumer, thats going to take emails back and forth before clicking on the buy button online.

also will Parcel motel and others be forced to get the 23% Vat and other taxes off the consumer before they release the goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I will be using their French or German sites. I've found them to be cheaper than the UK site most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Don't forget at least 17% Customs duty on the sale price plus postage, before the VAT is added, plus an admin charge for delivery company collecting it. As things stand it would be in different to buying from China - parcel motel to not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

so probably not a good time to topup my parcel motel account ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Don't forget at least 17% Customs duty on the sale price plus postage, before the VAT is added, plus an admin charge for delivery company collecting it. As things stand it would be in different to buying from China - parcel motel to not.

where’s that coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    but if it originates in UK (amazon UK warehouse) or comes through UK on the way to ROI will it be considered UK goods

Amazon has basically three "models" in the one site.
    • Stuff sold and shipped by Amazon
    • Stuff sold by "someone else" and shipped by Amazon
    • Stuff sold by "someone else" and shipped by "someone else"

For the first catagory, Amazon have fulfilment centres in the EU, and (even pre Brexit) your order might ship from the EU. After BREXIT, either they ship from an EU centre, or it will not be available to order from Ireland, as with many items alreaddy.

For the second catagory, Amazon encourgage the third party to supply fulfilment centes in the EU, or not sell the Ireland, I notice a few sellers I could buy from last year, no longer sell to ireland.

For the final catagory, most of the ones i dealt with shipped from China into an EU Fulfilment centre, so maybe no change for us, but problems for the UK..
    Mc-BigE wrote: »
    that will be interesting, trying to get a UK company to take VAT off the price of goods you are buying online as an irish consumer, thats going to take emails back and forth before clicking on the buy button online.

also will Parcel motel and others be forced to get the 23% Vat and other taxes off the consumer before they release the goods?

If one orders from Amazon UK and ships to parcel motel, they won't/can't take the VAT off, since they are not exporting it, unless Northern Ireland stays in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

SVI40 wrote: »
    Currently, when buying from an EU country, as a consumer, you already pay the VAT in that country.

if the company selling to you trade over 35k into ireland from the eu you should be charged irish vat

if the company selling to you trade over 35k into ireland from the eu you should be charged irish vat

Amazon charge VAT at Irish rates, that why the price suddently jump up when you pay, the earlier pages showed UK VAT.

whiterebel wrote: »
    where’s that coming from?

TARIC measures for purchases from Non EU countries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TARIC measures for purchases from Non EU countries.

There isn’t a standard duty rate. It varies wildly depending on the commodity. Computers, phones etc are usually zero rated.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There isn’t a standard duty rate. It varies wildly depending on the commodity. Computers, phones etc are usually zero rated.

And anything that cost €150 or less (before postage and any other costs) is customs duty exempt.

Only going on anything bought in this house to date.

I thought phones and computers were 3% plus VAT.

The point remains that VAT is not the only potential charge post Brexit as there will be customs duty, vat and collection charges not presently applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Their US site already pays Irish taxes and duties when you buy from it so the UK site will be the same they'll ad the cost at the till, but since it'll be coming from outside the EU it'll be cheaper to buy from their EU sites and avoid the extra charge.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Their US site already pays Irish taxes and duties when you buy from it so the UK site will be the same they'll ad the cost at the till, but since it'll be coming from outside the EU it'll be cheaper to buy from their EU sites and avoid the extra charge.
    But if you buy via Parcel Motel, per the OP, the seller will not apply the charges but the courier will have to before delivery. It seems kind of messy.

Best to pay for delivery to here directly, probably. But either way costs from the UK site will rise.
    You're right, the Eu sites seem to be the best option, provided postage doesn't negate any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Why do people just not open a amazon.de account, just use the language option top right to change language.

Admittedly some times i find what i want in .co.uk and then purchase on .de for ease but that can still happen.

Seems the most simple and cheapest solution - shipping delays and costs post brexit alone will make getting stuff on .co.uk awkward

Why do people just not open a amazon.de account, just use the language option top right to change language.

Admittedly some times i find what i want in .co.uk and then purchase on .de for ease but that can still happen.

Seems the most simple and cheapest solution - shipping delays and costs post brexit alone will make getting stuff on .co.uk awkward

You don't even need to sign up - you can log in to any Amazon site with your .co.uk login

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭techdiver

Shipping costs for one. Free shipping on .co.uk vs no free shipping from .de.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Anybody know if you can get a gift card balance on .co.uk over to .de?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

techdiver wrote: »
    Shipping costs for one. Free shipping on .co.uk vs no free shipping from .de.

Is there a DE prime? Would that cover free shipping here too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

there is no .de prime from what i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

beachhead wrote: »
    there is no .de prime from what i hear

i just ordered on amazon.de and was offered prime.
    there are loads of items with prime option

i will be cancelling my .co.uk prime in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

eirlink wrote: »
    i just ordered on amazon.de and was offered prime.
    there are loads of items with prime option

i will be cancelling my .co.uk prime in due course

Are you sure about that as the prime options are only specifically for German / Austrian addresses? You can buy prime of course, but unlikely that you'll get delivery here from it free.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Are you sure about that as the prime options are only specifically for German / Austrian addresses? You can buy prime of course, but unlikely that you'll get delivery here from it free.

yea, i have to check it out, i have a contact high up in amazon....just strange i was offered it at order stage and again at checkout, to an Irish address. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ginger_hammer

if you buy electronics from .de won't it have german plugs on?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yes, there is Amazon DE Prime but free shipping is only within Germany & Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭pummice

Whats the story with buying second hand or used goods after Jan 1st from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Anybody know if yet a gift card balance on .co.uk over to .de?

Nope, tried it multiple times, you're unable to transfer gift card amounts , you're not allowed buy another giftcard with the giftcard balance either. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yes, it will have a European plug. You can pick up EU to UK plug adapters for a few euro.

• Advertisement

Depends on what you buy, i just got some computer kit, and it came with both plugs.

Advertisement