Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from UK (amazon.co.uk etc) and using Parcel motel etc after no deal brexit

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There is Prime for Amazon.de but no free shipping too Ireland. Minimum is about €8.

Second hand/used goods will still be liable to VAT/Duty as an import from outside the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Now that there is a EU/UK trade deal What does this mean for VAT and duties on goods from UK to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    Now that there is a EU/UK trade deal What does this mean for VAT and duties on goods from UK to Ireland

Amazon.co.uk is registered for VAT in Ireland and will only charge Irish VAT at checkout when you enter your address as Ireland.
    So that's fine, you can't be charged Irish VAT again when it enters the country.

Companies in the UK not registered for VAT in Ireland will try to charge you UK VAT. You should never pay UK VAT, revenue does not care if you have or have not paid UK VAT so will charge you Irish VAT when it enters the country.

At checkout if you see you are being charged UK VAT you need to contact the company and ask them to fill out a VAT(407 I believe) form.

They can then invoice you with no VAT added and the courier will pay Irish VAT when it arrives then charge you the VAT + €10 handling fee.

Unfortunately some companies who do not value the Irish market may not bother to fill out the paperwork required to invoice you without UK VAT.
    In those cases you can either pay VAT in two countries if you really need the item or try to find an EU seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Mc-BigE wrote: »

Sadly seems the likes of parcel motel etc. have decided that its all too flakey and unclear.

Was hoping they would send an email announcing bringing back virtual UK addresses post deal but instead they emailed to confirm that we have an irish one now (Not sure why they bother - lets be honest I'll get it shipped direct rather than pay parcel motel 4 euro to make me visit a drop off point)

Waiting and hoping though - was cheaper to ship via PM than most postage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sadly seems the likes of parcel motel etc. have decided that its all too flakey and unclear.

Was hoping they would send an email announcing bringing back virtual UK addresses post deal but instead they emailed to confirm that we have an irish one now (Not sure why they bother - lets be honest I'll get it shipped direct rather than pay parcel motel 4 euro to make me visit a drop off point)

Waiting and hoping though - was cheaper to ship via PM than most postage
    I'd say 80% plus of the PM business was a forwarding address for free uk shipping. Very few would bother with an Irish based address.

I think they will find a way to get back to normal operations very soon or they will be out of business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think they will find a way to get back to normal operations very soon or they will be out of business

Or UPS (their owners) will just use it as a lockers business like DHL and An Post have been rolling out.

Vastly more people working from home has reduced the market for lockers but that will change.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

L1011 wrote: »
    Or UPS (their owners) will just use it as a lockers business like DHL and An Post have been rolling out.

Vastly more people working from home has reduced the market for lockers but that will change.

I think that's what they will do. If they get the pricing and service right people would use it, rather than having deliveries lobbed over the fence or into the green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

whiterebel wrote: »
    I think that's what they will do. If they get the pricing and service right people would use it, rather than having deliveries lobbed over the fence or into the green bin.

All about the pricing alright - the free uk delivery is what made it - pre brexit i got Coffee from UK store - for them to post would cost 18 sterling to Ireland. PM was only 4 euro after the free uk delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd say 80% plus of the PM business was a forwarding address for free uk shipping. Very few would bother with an Irish based address.
    This ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

All about the pricing alright - the free uk delivery is what made it - pre brexit i got Coffee from UK store - for them to post would cost 18 sterling to Ireland. PM was only 4 euro after the free uk delivery
    We have amazon prime for this reason. If there's no solution found herself will be devastated, she spends way too much money on tat from amazon :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement