Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More bad news for RTÉ: Young people abandoning TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

machaseh wrote: »
    They should abolish the ridiculously old-fashioned TV license. The state broadcaster RT'e should be funded out of public funds, meaning everybody should pay for it. Yes even people who never watch TV or don't even have a TV (like myself), because the service of having a (hopefully) independent state broadcaster is a service to all of us and not only those who happen to have a TV in the living room. This would also completely eliminate the need for TV license inspectors and chasing people to pay the fee.

In addition, why are there 4 RTE channels? It should be cut down to the bare minimum of providing news announcements. Two channels, one in English and one in Irish is all that should be needed. In fact I don't think anybody even watches the Irish channel other than the hurling/gaa games that are only broadcasted on there, as so incredibly few people have enough irish to even follow it. But I understand that they want to keep an Irish language channel just to give the impression that they are promoting the language.

I agree with your first paragraph re. the licence. It's hopelessly outmoded and will become more so as time goes on. Bit like the window tax in bygone times.

Not sure how many channels we need. I'd like to see a proper review of PSB in Ireland. Get all the facts out there and make a sustainable plan.

Boggles wrote: »
    Because revenue said no.

Ah here. You just don't want to pay. You gladly hand over to Sky, Amazon and Netflix.

Your main gripe was that you couldn't pay in installments, you can, either in DD or Stamps.

Also the irony seems to be some what lost on you, complaining about the cost of TV License inspectors on one hand whilst liberally not paying the charge on the other. You are the problem you are giving out about.

It's the law, if you use it pay it, it's a slight pain in the hole having to tax a car for the first time, but once you do you can do it online.

It wasn't convenient for me is not an excuse that will be tolerated if you were pulled over.

Again, you completely miss the point I was making. I'll stop feeding you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The days of the family sitting down in the evening to watch TV in the is long gone and will not return.

I can recall trawling through the paper to see if there was something good to watch when I come in from Work and then if there was a good film on you'd hope it would be on BBC where you would not have to sit though adds.

We no longer have cable or satellite TV Saorview etc all my Kids watch is YouTube & Netflix and I can dip in and out of Now TV if I want a football match.

And as for RTE the only time we watch it is Christmas time for the Toy Show which I honestly think is rubbish and only for my kids I would not even watch it.

I honestly think if people want to pay to watch this they should be given a choice it sickens me to pay the €160 a year to keep these worthless presenters in jobs.

We no longer have cable or satellite TV Saorview etc all my Kids watch is YouTube & Netflix and I can dip in and out of Now TV if I want a football match.

And as for RTE the only time we watch it is Christmas time for the Toy Show which I honestly think is rubbish and only for my kids I would not even watch it.

That's sad but it is the way with must young people alright. I am glad I grew up watching and enhoying T.V and I still do enjoy watching it.

Amazing how the ads never fail to play on the RTE app, when the program often does. And if you try to restart it / refresh it, you have to watch the bloody ad again.

I had a TV license for about 3 years. Renewed it in November 2008 for another year. Emmigrated in May 2009. Could no longer watch things on the RTE player because I wasn't in Ireland, having paid for the license. RTE could make a fortune from an RTE player subscription which you can watch abroad. I have cousins in the US who would gleefully pay a tenner a month to watch Irish content. The diaspora in Australia and Canada would probably pay a few quid to watch GAA or current affairs.

I was able to watch Sky on my phone on the Sky Go app while in China. But couldn't watch RTE. Another trick they are missing.

Amazing how the ads never fail to play on the RTE app, when the program often does. And if you try to restart it / refresh it, you have to watch the bloody ad again.
    I agree that is a complete joke and so annoying that it put me off ever trying to use the RTE player again. It used to be ok before adds on it but its just terrible now.

I thought RTE did allow access abroad in some countries for some shows.

I agree they should do what you said.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

If it wasn't for the subtitles I wouldn't watch TG4 at all.

Aren't you Irish? Why do you not have your own language?

I am from the Netherlands and we speak our regional dialect at home and the national language in school, aside from that I also have fluent English and Portuguese. Knowing and using multiple languages is really not that difficult. Are Irish people not bright enough to know more than just (really bad and hard to understand) English?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I concur with a few posters, I've two kids 12 & 15, neither watch any form of live tv. The young fella maybe the odd Soccer match, but its mainly you tube on the phones or cast to the bigger tv in their Den.

I dont know how its going to pan out but I hate paying the licence fee too, Even myself and the wife are more click and watch rather than live tv. The days of tuning in for a particular show on friday at 9pm are dead. People want to sit down
    and choose I'm watching X now as I'm free not because you choose to broadcast it at a certian time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I am from the Netherlands and we speak our regional dialect at home and the national language in school, aside from that I also have fluent English and Portuguese. Knowing and using multiple languages is really not that difficult. Are Irish people not bright enough to know more than just (really bad and hard to understand) English?

I'm not bothered and I don't care.

Good for you Dutchy. Your medal is in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I had a TV license for about 3 years. Renewed it in November 2008 for another year. Emmigrated in May 2009. Could no longer watch things on the RTE player because I wasn't in Ireland, having paid for the license. RTE could make a fortune from an RTE player subscription which you can watch abroad. I have cousins in the US who would gleefully pay a tenner a month to watch Irish content. The diaspora in Australia and Canada would probably pay a few quid to watch GAA or current affairs.

I was able to watch Sky on my phone on the Sky Go app while in China. But couldn't watch RTE. Another trick they are missing.

I just assume when something is on the rte player that I won't be able to watch it. Because it doesn't work.

beauf wrote: »
    I just assume when something is on the rte player that I won't be able to watch it. Because it doesn't work.

Yep. Believe it or not I used to bit torrent the six one news on occasion when i was abroad. It was quicker than trying to get the player to work.

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I do like the News, nationwide ( showing my age here:p) other than that it's not great, however, watched find me a house last night very uplifting and entertaining and a reminder that despite all the nonsense Ireland is full of normal families and people living normal contented lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yep. Believe it or not I used to bit torrent the six one news on occasion when i was abroad. It was quicket than trying to get the player to work.

Sorry someone created torrents of the six one news?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

stupid kids! whats not to love?

Keeping up Appearances reruns followed by the Angelus followed by Ray Darcy interviewing someone he met in the staff carpark

Sorry someone created torrents of the six one news?

Really?

Yes and for good reasons. I wasn't the only one downloading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

I think we need to up our game against RTE.

Everybody should start flooding complaints against them, for every single show. Imagine clogging the system up with tens of thousands of useless complaints. Keep it going.

A national public boycott of RTE staff, tv licence people and their families. I mean don't talk to them, serve them, interact in any way. If some RTE camera man passes you in the street, turn your back on them. Don't let your kids play with their kids.

Up the game to constant vandalism of RTE structures. Harass their live reports in the street. Organise marches against the ba@strds.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sallary cap at 200k a year
    Scale back ad breaks to every half hour instead of 15 mins
    Sell more donnybrook land
    Cull the number of talk shows / current affairs chat shows
    Trim management.

Sallary cap at 200k a year
    Scale back ad breaks to every half hour instead of 15 mins
    Sell more donnybrook land
    Cull the number of talk shows / current affairs chat shows
    Trim management.

Current affairs is about the only thing they do well.

How about stop paying for imported american shows which most people can get on cable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

beauf wrote: »

All I get is an upside down android symbol.
    Want to rewatch the Savage Eye - that was the last good thing I watched on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Current affairs is about the only thing they do well.

How about stop paying for imported american shows which most people can get on cable anyway.

It's quite incredible that so much of the tv license I pay goes on sh*tty American TV shows and reruns of BBC shows. Most Irish households have BBC for f*ck sake!

Cina wrote: »
    It's quite incredible that so much of the tv license I pay goes on sh*tty American TV shows and reruns of BBC shows. Most Irish households have BBC for f*ck sake!

Last night on RTE 2 at 10pm was Line of Duty(a really good cop drama from the BBC). Is it the latest season on Line of Duty? No. The previous one.

If you missed it on BBC, its also on Netflix. I wonder how much RTE paid for it, and I wonder why they squander it by putting it on too late for many people to watch it. OK, there was football on last night, but why not put your aclaimed imported show on at 9pm on a night when its less likely to be interrupted by sport?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

UsBus wrote: »
    Agreed, as bad as RTE is at the moment, you would not want a country without a state broadcaster. The moment society starts pulling their only source of news & information from facebook and the likes, we would be doomed. There needs to be a certain standard of information communication maintained throughout the state, where the government are held somewhat to account.
    The problem RTE has is the level of remuneration it pays to some of its high profile staff does not appear to offer adequate quality of output when measured alongside UK/SKY etc.

State broadcasters do not hold governments to account. Maybe governments that are enemies of the government paying their wages. We laugh at North Korea but look at the BBC, state broadcaster, coverage of Brexit. Utterly disgraceful.

• Advertisement

SJW Lover wrote: »
    State broadcasters do not hold governments to account. Maybe governments that are enemies of the government paying their wages. We laugh at North Korea but look at the BBC, state broadcaster, coverage of Brexit. Utterly disgraceful.

The BBC get independently audited to make sure they are impartial. No one else does.

They are so scared of not being they had to reverse a sanction on one of their broadcasters for calling Trump out on his racist BS.

You are talking bollix lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Is it time for RTE to abandon scheduled programming altogether and devote all its resources to an on-demand streaming platform, IE same content but on-demand and aired over the internet as opposed to the airwaves? Genuine question. It wouldn't even preclude having live shows available, live streaming is obviously a thing and several major streaming platforms (YouTube to take an obvious example) have both, with live streams subsequently saved as videos for rewatching along with all the other on-demand content.

On-demand programming is just a logical next step from Sky Digital IMO. Before that we had video recorders where you could pre-set recordings weeks in advance (even the very basic hand crafted models from Cuba :D )

Is it perhaps time for RTE to accept that scheduled programming as a concept has simply been superseded by on-demand programming, and act accordingly? Most people now have tellys which can either connect to a wi-fi network, or use add-ons such as Chromecast to do the same. Just like when we turned off the traditional broadcasting bands a couple of years ago and fully switched to digital, maybe the time has come to look at switching that off as well and fully switching to an online, app-based, on-demand model for all programming.

Just my thoughts on it!

Is it time for RTE to abandon scheduled programming altogether and devote all its resources to an on-demand streaming platform, IE same content but on-demand and aired over the internet as opposed to the airwaves? Genuine question. It wouldn't even preclude having live shows available, live streaming is obviously a thing and several major streaming platforms (YouTube to take an obvious example) have both, with live streams subsequently saved as videos for rewatching along with all the other on-demand content.

On-demand programming is just a logical next step from Sky Digital IMO. Before that we had video recorders where you could pre-set recordings weeks in advance (even the very basic hand crafted models from Cuba :D )

Is it perhaps time for RTE to accept that scheduled programming as a concept has simply been superseded by on-demand programming, and act accordingly? Most people now have tellys which can either connect to a wi-fi network, or use add-ons such as Chromecast to do the same. Just like when we turned off the traditional broadcasting bands a couple of years ago and fully switched to digital, maybe the time has come to look at switching that off as well and fully switching to an online, app-based, on-demand model for all programming.

Just my thoughts on it!

3 words National Broadband Plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

The BBC get independently audited to make sure they are impartial. No one else does.

They are so scared of not being they had to reverse a sanction on one of their broadcasters for calling Trump out on his racist BS.

You are talking bollix lad.

Do you really think the BBC are impartial? They go with whatever the government of the day wants them to go with. As i say, their coverage of Brexit has been disgraceful. The country going down the tubes due to complete Tory incompetence and they were focussing on anti-Semitism in the Labour Party - how convenient. Or how they covered the lead in to the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Laughing at George Galloway on Question Time when he said invading Iraq would lead to a humanitarian catastrophe.

Have you scrutinised the independent audit you refer to? Or, have you heard "independent audit" and decided that was enough for you? Because the BBC aint impartial. Far from it. You think i'm talking bollix, fair enough. I think you have swallowed a load of bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Did somebody mention it was important to keep RTE so that their would be impartiality? From RTE? with the free ride they give the local and national government wasters here?

ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If those morons in RTE properly tackled them on their epic failure, there would be far more pressure on them to deliver in all sorts of areas that are appalling here, health, infrastructure, housing, law and order etc!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I watch around 15 hours of soap operas a week, i wish they would stop airing retro episodes, for example i record 10 episodes of 1990 EastEnders episodes a week and watch them on the weekend as i am addicted to soap opera. When I die I'll have watched more soap opera than the average person could do in 3 lifetimes.

Just my thoughts on it!

Not until everyone in the country can actually access broadband. My parents recently got fibre. My father has been waiting for decent broadband for about 30 years. Theres an awful low of people in the country still who can't get speeds fast enough for on-demand content.

Do you really think the BBC are impartial?

It's not my opinion.

They have to be.

https://www.bbc.com/editorialguidelines/guidelines/impartiality

They go beyond the code.
    They go with whatever the government of the day wants them to go with. As i say, their coverage of Brexit has been disgraceful. The country going down the tubes due to complete Tory incompetence and they were focussing on anti-Semitism in the Labour Party - how convenient.

They focused on it or reported it like every other news media? :confused:
    Or how they covered the lead in to the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Laughing at George Galloway on Question Time when he said invading Iraq would lead to a humanitarian catastrophe.

Wooh. We are gone back 16 years. Not familiar with it, who laughed at him exactly?

Have you scrutinised the independent audit you refer to?

Hmmm, I didn't do that. I read parts of it.

Or, have you heard "independent audit" and decided that was enough for you?

No
    Because the BBC aint impartial. Far from it.

Your evidence for this being "someone" laughed at George 16 years ago and they covered a fairly big story everybody else did.

:pac:

You think i'm talking bollix

No, I'm actually sure you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Not until everyone in the country can actually access broadband. My parents recently got fibre. My father has been waiting for decent broadband for about 30 years. Theres an awful low of people in the country still who can't get speeds fast enough for on-demand content.

:confused::confused::confused: And he was waiting for the iPhone 11 since he was a child?

Hands up here who even had dial up in 1989?:D

2000 Broadband launches in the UK, with Telewest offering cable broadband with maximum speeds of 512 kilobits per second.
    On 17 June 1991, Trinity College Dublin became the first organisation in Ireland to connect to the emerging internet.

Your father was waiting for broadband two years before that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Did somebody mention it was important to keep RTE so that their would be impartiality? From RTE? with the free ride they give the location and national government wasters here?

ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If those morons in RTE properly tackled them on their epic failure, there would be far more pressure on them to deliver in all sorts of areas that are appalling here, health, infrastructure, housing, law and order etc!

Hahahaha. Can anyone find the tipping point where RTE changed from the catholic voice network to the lefty apologist network though.
    Its always had an agenda.

Advertisement