Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More bad news for RTÉ: Young people abandoning TV

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Hahahaha. Can anyone find the tipping point where RTE changed from the catholic voice network to the lefty apologist network though.
    Its always had an agenda.

I hate all the SJW stuff on RTE but I always hated RTE.

Anyone remember that Where in the World game show with the star prize to some filthy bed and breakfast for the weekend in Cork or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Is it time for RTE to abandon scheduled programming altogether and devote all its resources to an on-demand streaming platform, IE same content but on-demand and aired over the internet as opposed to the airwaves? Genuine question. It wouldn't even preclude having live shows available, live streaming is obviously a thing and several major streaming platforms (YouTube to take an obvious example) have both, with live streams subsequently saved as videos for rewatching along with all the other on-demand content.

On-demand programming is just a logical next step from Sky Digital IMO. Before that we had video recorders where you could pre-set recordings weeks in advance (even the very basic hand crafted models from Cuba )

Is it perhaps time for RTE to accept that scheduled programming as a concept has simply been superseded by on-demand programming, and act accordingly? Most people now have tellys which can either connect to a wi-fi network, or use add-ons such as Chromecast to do the same. Just like when we turned off the traditional broadcasting bands a couple of years ago and fully switched to digital, maybe the time has come to look at switching that off as well and fully switching to an online, app-based, on-demand model for all programming.

Just my thoughts on it!

long term, absolutely, and that is what will happen for tv in general. however not for a good while yet i think.
    there is still an audience for tv and tv channels are getting a good amount of advertising, + internet services offering speeds that are reliable to facilitate streaming/watching of online tv don't cover the whole country yet, and i think online viewing is still a minority activity? all be it is growing.
    when all of those things change, we will quite likely see a move away from terrestrial tv to online only.
    SJW Lover wrote: »
    Do you really think the BBC are impartial? They go with whatever the government of the day wants them to go with. As i say, their coverage of Brexit has been disgraceful. The country going down the tubes due to complete Tory incompetence and they were focussing on anti-Semitism in the Labour Party - how convenient. Or how they covered the lead in to the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Laughing at George Galloway on Question Time when he said invading Iraq would lead to a humanitarian catastrophe.

Have you scrutinised the independent audit you refer to? Or, have you heard "independent audit" and decided that was enough for you? Because the BBC aint impartial. Far from it. You think i'm talking bollix, fair enough. I think you have swallowed a load of bollix.

absolutely the bbc is impartial. there is no doubt about that. when you have right and left wing people calling it biassed then you know it is impartial.
    all of the media were focusing on anti-semitism in the labour party in fairness, and most of the same media laugh at George Galloway even though he is generally correct on a lot of things.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

absolutely the bbc is impartial. there is no doubt about that.

Your outlandish posts never fail to disapoint.

John Humphrys today lifts the lid on ‘institutional liberal bias’ at the BBC.

Two days after retiring, the legendary broadcaster accuses the ‘Kremlin’-style corporation of being out of touch.

He says its bosses ‘badly failed’ to read the nation’s mood on Europe and ‘simply could not grasp’ why anyone voted Leave.

In an explosive memoir serialised from today in the Daily Mail, Remain-voting Humphrys pulls no punches after decades of being constrained by rules that stop journalists expressing opinions.

The 76-year-old, who spent 33 years on Radio 4’s flagship news show Today, says he is now free of ‘the BBC Thought Police’ which has ‘tried to mould the nation into its own liberal-Left image’.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7487661/Broadcaster-John-Humphrys-lifts-lid-institutional-liberal-bias-BBC.html

yeah, a former employee of the bbc who is a staunch brexit supporter i believe, is upset that the bbc reported from all sides on the issue. no shock there.
    look, i disagree with the pc woke forced rather then organic divercity nonsense that the bbc practice, but it is the case that their political and current affairs output is impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Humphry's was an example of not been impartial.

He was done for a while, but goosed when he said Ireland should join the UK and leave the EU. Basically blaming Ireland for Britain's clusterfook and we should sacrifice ourselves for Dear Old Blighty. McEntee tore him apart and made him sound like a dribbling oaf. It was time for his retirement.

It is pretty funny though, 2 users in a space of a few posts blaming the BBC for being biased for not being Brexit enough and the other for being too Brexit.

All this in a week where the BBC are being castigated for being too Impartial. :pac:

The reality is the BBC is the gold standard, they don't always get everything right but if more had there standards we would have a lot less loons with alternative facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

My wife and I are in our 50's and have more or less (bar news and the odd programme) abandoned TV. We pick our own content now on sources such as Netflix and Youtube.
    My teenage children have abandoned TV altogether, watch nothing at all on the TV except sport.

Same here, not watched TV for years, just YT and Netfix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Tow

Hands up here who even had dial up in 1989?:D

We had BBSs back then. V22bis was the business :-) TCD had the first internet connection and if you were in the know you could dial in!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

absolutely the bbc is impartial. there is no doubt about that. when you have right and left wing people calling it biassed then you know it is impartial.
    all of the media were focusing on anti-semitism in the labour party in fairness, and most of the same media laugh at George Galloway even though he is generally correct on a lot of things.

I used to love the BBC as a kid, but the is no doubt now about how biased it is. To stay up to date now you need to look at lots of news sites. Take the Julian Assange arrest, RT.com was reporting exactly what was going to happen with regard the embassy over 2 weeks before the bbc "breaking news" story. The same is true for a lot of middle eastern news.

I like to stay upto date with world events, the only way to do that is to watch and listen to news from many sources. If you do this every day the bias stands out like bacon sandwich at a vegan breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus H. Christ.

RT less biased than the BBC? Surely that's a windup?

If not, Lock the thread, it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is it time for RTE to abandon scheduled programming altogether and devote all its resources to an on-demand streaming platform, IE same content but on-demand and aired over the internet as opposed to the airwaves? Genuine question. It wouldn't even preclude having live shows available, live streaming is obviously a thing and several major streaming platforms (YouTube to take an obvious example) have both, with live streams subsequently saved as videos for rewatching along with all the other on-demand content.

On-demand programming is just a logical next step from Sky Digital IMO. Before that we had video recorders where you could pre-set recordings weeks in advance (even the very basic hand crafted models from Cuba :D )

Is it perhaps time for RTE to accept that scheduled programming as a concept has simply been superseded by on-demand programming, and act accordingly? Most people now have tellys which can either connect to a wi-fi network, or use add-ons such as Chromecast to do the same. Just like when we turned off the traditional broadcasting bands a couple of years ago and fully switched to digital, maybe the time has come to look at switching that off as well and fully switching to an online, app-based, on-demand model for all programming.

Just my thoughts on it!

Think there's something there. There's heaps of stuff in RTE archives that were screened once and never saw the light of day again. Bet the septic tanks across the sea would love to have on demand stuff from dear old Oirland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Boggles wrote: »
    3 words National Broadband Plan.
    Not until everyone in the country can actually access broadband. My parents recently got fibre. My father has been waiting for decent broadband for about 30 years. Theres an awful low of people in the country still who can't get speeds fast enough for on-demand content.

Fair points, that's 'Dublin privilege' for you I guess - this completely slipped my mind.

One has to ask though, which costs more in the long run if this is a main stumbling block in modernising RTE and reducing costs? Have any major public service broadcasters yet made the jump to online-only or is this idea just ahead of its time at the moment?

Fair points, that's 'Dublin privilege' for you I guess - this completely slipped my mind.

One has to ask though, which costs more in the long run if this is a main stumbling block in modernising RTE and reducing costs? Have any major public service broadcasters yet made the jump to online-only or is this idea just ahead of its time at the moment?

the bbc moved bbc3 to online a few years ago i think, however i don't think any public service broadcasters have completely abandoned terrestrial transmission and made the move to online only though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Think there's something there. There's heaps of stuff in RTE archives that were screened once and never saw the light of day again. Bet the septic tanks across the sea would love to have on demand stuff from dear old Oirland.

Rights issues.

Same reason they can't do PPV on GAA for international viewers, they only own the rights to show GAA in Ireland. GAA make €€€€ from other outlets for international rights.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement