Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skip bag hire

Options
  • 30-09-2019 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i need to get rid of some trash from our house in which we moved in 2 days ago.

trash includes smaller electrical items (vacuum, a sky tv receiver box etc. and a couple other small electrical items) that were left in the garden shed.

i was looking at those keywaste bags you can buy at woodies for example. on their website they say electrical items are not permitted - are they really strict with that? otherwise i have a tv table and we have a lot of boxes and plastic bags from the move to the house.

were would i otherwise get rid of electrical items in carrigtwohill/midleton/cork city area?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Electrical items can be dissposed of for free*... your local authority depot will facilitate.. even some retailers like power city have drop off skips for electrical stuff

* I say "free" but you actually pay the charge up friont when you buy the item. WEE

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Electrical items can be dissposed of for free*... your local authority depot will facilitate.. even some retailers like power city have drop off skips for electrical stuff

* I say "free" but you actually pay the charge up friont when you buy the item. WEE

thanks! looks like harvey norman in little island take WEEE stuff, that would be the most convenient for me.

sugarman wrote: »
    You could also post the lot on the free section of Adverts.ie and have someone collect it from you.

i guess i could try that! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

murfilein wrote: »
    thanks! looks like harvey norman in little island take WEEE stuff, that would be the most convenient for me.

Most retailers will only accept like-for-like waste electrical items when you make a purchase there. For example they will only accept a broken toaster if you purchase the replacement there and then.

lgk wrote: »
    Most retailers will only accept like-for-like waste electrical items when you make a purchase there. For example they will only accept a broken toaster if you purchase the replacement there and then.

was thinking about that, but their website says:
    Do I need to have made a purchase at Harvey Norman?

No you don't. You can recycle any of the above items at our stores even if you have not made a purchase with us.

• Advertisement

Yeah some will insist you made a purchase.... HN obviously dont :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Yeah some will insist you made a purchase.... HN obviously dont :)

Thats against WEEE regulation.

listermint wrote: »

Which bit? I mean HN taking all sorts of stuff or the retailer only taking what you have purchased.

(BTW - Neither are against any regulation that im aware of)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

listermint wrote: »

Making you buy an item first.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Making you buy an item first.
    http://www.epa.ie/pubs/advice/waste/weee/Retailers%20WEEE%20Battery%20Regulations%20Guidance%20Leaflet.pdf
    Take back Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) of similar type on a one-for-one, like-for-like
    basis, free of charge. If your sales area for EEE is greater than 400m2
    , you must provide for a one-for-zero
    take-back (i.e. no purchase of new equipment is necessary)

Any way - OP - bring your stuff along to HN and you'll be sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

murfilein wrote: »
    was thinking about that, but their website says:

Weird, because they also say:
    Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) is taken back free of charge on a one-for-one, like-for-like basis. Waste batteries including rechargeable batteries are taken back free of charge. You are not obliged to make any purchase when returning old batteries.

As above, shouldn't be an issue though.

Advertisement