Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providing equipment for childminder??

• 30-09-2019 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, just wondering is there a general rule on who foots the bill for necessary equipment for the childminder when they are minding more children than your own.

My little one has been with his childminder for approx 2 years. The minder has recently started minding another toddler and has said they will need a double buggy.

Now, they didn't come out and ask me to provide one or contribute to it but I get the feeling that they dont think its something they should be footing the bill for.

I provide a buggy for use with my little one.

Surely, the onus to cater for the second child shouldn't fall on me? If they decide to take on more children it's up to them to make necessary arrangements??

Or am I being completely unreasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m guessing this is a cash-in-hand, not going through the books type situation?

I would have thought it would be up to the child minder, it’s unusual that this hadn’t come up before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Hi, just wondering is there a general rule on who foots the bill for necessary equipment for the childminder when they are minding more children than your own.

My little one has been with his childminder for approx 2 years. The minder has recently started minding another toddler and has said they will need a double buggy.

Now, they didn't come out and ask me to provide one or contribute to it but I get the feeling that they dont think its something they should be footing the bill for.

Surely, the onus to cater for the second child shouldn't fall on me? If they decide to take on more children it's up to them to make necessary arrangements??

I would have thought if they are running a business they would need to provide all their own necessary equipment.

I wouldn't buy a new pram, they are not exactly cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Yes you're being unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Nottellingyet

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’m guessing this is a cash-in-hand, not going through the books type situation?

I would have thought it would be up to the child minder, it’s unusual that this hadn’t come up before.

Yes, a cash in hand situation. Up to this point I've provided buggy, high chair, toys etc and I won't request those back when my little one grows out of them.

Just in a bit of a grey area when its stuff needed to cater for more than just my own child. I'm aware that sounds a bit selfish!

How is she being unreasonable?

• Advertisement

Ok, could you expand on that so I see where you're coming from?

How is she being unreasonable?
    This woman is just doing a nixer. She can contribute or not contribute but she may find that the childminder can't be bothered with he any more.

Yes, a cash in hand situation. Up to this point I've provided buggy, high chair, toys etc and I won't request those back when my little one grows out of them.

Just in a bit of a grey area when its stuff needed to cater for more than just my own child. I'm aware that sounds a bit selfish!

What about the other parents?

She has made a choice to look after two..up to her to figure out the logistics of that choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Funnily when I read the title I thought heres some parent thinking the childminder should supply everything but actually on reading it's a fair question. I think if she has decided to take on another child then really she should sort the buggy thing herself.

This woman is just doing a nixer. She can contribute or not contribute but she may find that the childminder can't be bothered with he any more.

This is true, but I wouldn't be forking out a few hundred euros so she can run a nixer business.

• Advertisement

Ok, could you expand on that so I see where you're coming from?
    This woman is just doing a nixer. You can contribute or not contribute but might may find that the childminder can't be bothered with he any more.
    I wouldn't expect to pay the whole thing nor would I expect the childminder to push two buggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

This woman is just doing a nixer. You can contribute or not contribute but might may find that the childminder can't be bothered with he any more.
    I wouldn't expect to pay the whole thing nor would I expect the childminder to push two buggies.

It's not the OP's responsibility to provide equipment for someone else's child though. They have provided the necessary items for the care of their own child.

It's not the OP's responsibility to provide equipment for someone else's child though. They have provided the necessary items for the care of their own child.
    That's fine but then the woman who is minding her kid might decide that she can't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Doubtful that the childminder is going to take on a second child and displace the first. If it's that much hassle they'd just keep the reliable one that they've been with for two years rather than a new one that might get rid of her after a few months.

I think it's a bit rich to expect a parent to provide a double buggy when they're sending one child to be looked after.

I certainly dont expect anyone to push two buggies, hardly safe for the children never mind inconvenient for the minder.

In what you refer to as a "nixer". They are getting paid the market rate for a childminder in their own home, get 4 weeks paid holidays per year, paid for bank holidays and paid any day that the child is absent due to sickness or appointments so its hardly a situation where I'm stringing them along completely at my own mercy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

I certainly dont expect anyone to push two buggies, hardly safe for the children never mind inconvenient for the minder.

In what you refer to as a "nixer". They are getting paid the market rate for a childminder in their own home, get 4 weeks paid holidays per year, paid for bank holidays and paid any day that the child is absent due to sickness or appointments so its hardly a situation where I'm stringing them along completely at my own mercy.

Ah just ignore them, they always post the most contrary answer to any question.
    You're not being unreasonable. Source - My wife's a childminder and paid for a double buggy to allow her to look after more than one child.
    She's running a business at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable, but I’m pretty sure I offered to get a double buggy for my minder when we were in a similar situation. It’s ages ago now, so I can’t remember exactly. She had one anyhow, so it wasn’t an issue.
    My childminder is an absolute diamond though, we’d be lost only for her, so I’d be happy to do whatever to keep her happy!
    If the childminder hasn’t actually asked, then say nothing and keep saying it. She’ll have to either stay at home, or buy it herself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would expect the other child's parent to provide, or the minder herself, especially if you have already provided the single.We were that other child, and then our minder took our two and we provided the double.She never asked for one but I got her one anyway.Our minder had provided all other stuff herself up that point.Or well, she already had the other stuff in the house.

Second hand donedeal, you can get perfectly good ones in great condition.You might want to ask her is the other parent providing a buggy or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My previous minder had a double buggy of her own for when she needed to use one and a single also. She also had a variety of well loved and used age appropriate toys.
    I would not expect to supply equipment like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Nixer or not, the child minder should provide the equipment. When our pair were with the minder the only thing we had to provide was nappies.

• Advertisement

Update - our minder sourced a double buggy and didn't ask for a cent from me towards it.

Thanks for all the comments/advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

They're responsible for caring for your child's safety, happiness and general well-being.

I would think long and hard about it and make sure I was as genuine, decent, reasonable, fair and accommodating as possible.

In 99.99% of cases this will convert into a best case scenario for both you and your child who never asked to be left with this person while you go out to work everyday.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The childminder may be tax compliant.
    They car earn 15k tax exempt but still have to file tax returns.
    The childminder has decided to take on a second child, it is not up to you to provide a double buggy.

In 99.99% of cases this will convert into a best case scenario for both you and your child who never asked to be left with this person while you go out to work everyday.....[/quote]

Jesus that's a bit harsh. I have no choice but to work to keep said child fed, clothed and housed.

In 99.99% of cases this will convert into a best case scenario for both you and your child who never asked to be left with this person while you go out to work everyday.....

Jesus that's a bit harsh. I have no choice but to work to keep said child fed, clothed and housed.[/quote]

No you should be at home, preferably barefoot and pregnant making sure your husbands clothes are washed and ironed. Have a little nap during the day so you can be perky when he gets home. Make sure your make up is fresh and hair brushed before he gets home. Greet him with his favourite drink and listen to his day...never bore him with yours. Then after you put the children to bed serve him his dinner in peace ;)

Advertisement