Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good business books & reads recommendations (Not self help types)

Options
  • 30-09-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Always looking for good books to read on business, finance, hedge funds, banks, M & As etc. More into books with a story behind them rather the self help type of books. Any one got any recommendations as Im finding it harder to find books to read on amazon and book depository.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I read a lot of tech but over the past year, I found these pretty good:

Billion Dollar Whale - Interesting story about a massive scam out of Malaysia

Elon Musk - The autobiography. Love or hate the guy, it's very well written.

Barbarians At The Gate - Heavy going but a canon of business reading and a lot of it still relevant today. This is the merger of the century.

Players Ball - A light read on the history of an infamous domain name. Reads more like a thriller.

King of Capital - The untold story of Blackstone (Venture Capital). If you like IPO's and merger's, the money in this book is boggling.

To Pixar and Beyond - A light read about Pixar and Steve Jobs, along with his CFO. Written in the first person, it's a good look at a story that I don't think has ever been told regarding their merger with Disney.

Coffee Table / So-So Reads

How to Turn Down A Billion Dollars - A so-so book on Snapchat. Not the best writing but an interesting and little known story versus say facebook.

The AirBnb Story - The story of the Airbnb founders. It's not great and didn't hold me until the end.

Avoid

Valley of Genius - A book that has a great premise but it's a huge transcript. Lost me after a few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York by Robert Caro

Over 1300 pages, written in the 70’s

An absolute masterpiece.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0394480767/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(You’ll it pre owed on amazon for about €30)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

thanks, some of those Ive read but others I,ll order. Barbarians at the gate was a great read and linked over time into a few other books ive read about that time through the companies and people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭protelos

For general buisness, below is my audible library. Most of them might be void of the story angle, but I love them all.

Profit first, and anything by Mike Michhalowicz
    The E-Myth revisited
    5 disfuntions of a team
    Shoe dog
    The Score takes care of itself (sport but highly applicable considering Bill Walsh ended up lecturing at Stanford.)
    Trillion Dollar Coach

Barbarians at the Gates is great and I guess you have read the connected book Merchants of debt?

Advertisement