Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising a complaint - Financial Ombudsman

• 30-09-2019 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has experience/knowledge in this area. A few months back I was a victim of a crime, that I feel Bank of Ireland could have done more to prevent/ reduce my loss.

I have went through the channels with BOI and got nowhere. So I am going to go to the ombudsman channel and raise my complaint with BOI there.

Do any esteemed members of the board have experience in raising a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman?

How was the process. Were you successful? Did it require much chasing up on your part? How long did the process take?

Obviously only share details you are comfortable doing so

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What was the nature of the crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What was the nature of the crime?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057991485/1/#post110528833

From reading the tale of woe, I'm not at all surprised that BOI didn't reimburse.

I haven't raised a complaint but I helped my Mum to raise one about a travel insurance issue.
    Staff at the FSPO are great but its a very, very long process. She raised her complaint at the start of January 2019 and received an acknowledgement letter, she didn't receive anything apart from that so in May we rang (phone call was answered very quickly) they apologised, said there was a backlog and would be processing it soon.

Then in July (could be wrong on the months) she was invited to take part in mediation with the insurance company, nothing in person just basically a phonecall with a mediator (mediator was absolutely brilliant and Mum said she felt listened to for the first time), she asked permission that I was on the call too just to help her out if she had trouble remembering anything and that was no problem. The insurance company came back offering a partial refund, we said no and asked it to be referred on for a decision with the ombudsman. Before that the insurance company came back and offered a full refund but wouldn't admit they were wrong and wouldn't change their policy. Mum said no because she was still insured by them and wanted a definitive answer on whether or not someone is covered in her situation as the policy indicates (insurance company were being ridiculous)

That was in August, she had 20 days to file a letter stating all the facts about the case what she wanted to happen etc. you are not allowed to refer to anything that was said or any offer that was made during the mediation phase. They've acknowledged receipt of the letter and that the insurer has sent their one but nothing since. We were told at the mediation phase that the next phase would take 6 months to a year. I think the next step is we get to see their submission and react and they get to see ours.

The process has been good so far but in my Mum's case its about 600€ (which is a lot of money but not life changing for her). If it was about a mortgage or house insurance or something big I think the time fame would be more frustrating.

You can search successful and unsuccessful cases on the FSPO website which might give you an idea of your likelihood of success https://www.fspo.ie/decisions/

Best of luck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Daveone wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has experience/knowledge in this area. A few months back I was a victim of a crime, that I feel Bank of Ireland could have done more to prevent/ reduce my loss.

I have went through the channels with BOI and got nowhere. So I am going to go to the ombudsman channel and raise my complaint with BOI there.

Do any esteemed members of the board have experience in raising a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman?

How was the process. Were you successful? Did it require much chasing up on your part? How long did the process take?

Obviously only share details you are comfortable doing so

Many thanks

The very first step is to have a complaint that meets the criteria for a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman. So which part of it's contract with you to pay out on your account when presented with the card and PIN number did the bank break? This is not a matter of opinion it is a matter of fact, if you can't answer that question then it is most likely that the FO will entertain the claim.

If you want to argue about things like fiduciary duties, duties of care, things the bank should have know, should have done etc... that is a matter for the courts.

Advertisement