Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unacceptable level of irregular social welfare payments

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Graces7 wrote: »
    September 30th. I just checked..

That's still September....lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I honestly think they just give up on the long term cases tbh. I was unemployed a couple of years ago, got sent to seetec within a couple of weeks, yet I know people unemployed years who seem to get left alone.

I'm generally pro welfare, but some people definitely get away with taking the piss.

There are lots of unemployable people. People you couldn’t possibly ask any employer to hire.
    There’s nothing physically or mentally wrong with them they are just unsuitable for anything other then suiting themselves really.
    The concept of setting an alarm to get up and get ready and leave the house to go somewhere to follow instructions from someone else for 7 or 8 hours is beyond anything they could comprehend.
    And we cannot leave them homeless or hungry, or their children so we have welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gifted wrote: »
    That's still September....lol lol

lol... Had me worried ! Just checked my account and it went in y'day! These things get very complicated if there is an omission but it is automated usually

splinter65 wrote: »
    There are lots of unemployable people. People you couldn’t possibly ask any employer to hire.
    There’s nothing physically or mentally wrong with them they are just unsuitable for anything other then suiting themselves really.
    The concept of setting an alarm to get up and get ready and leave the house to go somewhere to follow instructions from someone else for 7 or 8 hours is beyond anything they could comprehend.
    And we cannot leave them homeless or hungry, or their children so we have welfare.

while agreeing with part of your post … it is not wilful. They are simply insufficient

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With some it is wilful, that and a culture learned at their parents knee. Though as Splinter notes the alternative is leaving them go hungry/homeless. Now it could go the US model with a population of homeless or trailer park people or living in their cars all in poverty. I know which society I'd rather live in for all its faults. Not to say it can't be made more efficient and reduce costs.

For a start more needs to be done about those on SW and doing "nixers". That's a pretty big issue in my experience anyway. They're the ones with the widescreen TV's and foreign holidays etc.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It started in sept this year.
    Monday September 30th. Customers entitled to the allowance will get their first payment along with their primary payment on their appropriate payment day that week.

A customer whose payment day was Monday would have been paid on September (just about).

For anybody paid Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, their first payment would have been in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Monday September 30th. Customers entitled to the allowance will get their first payment along with their primary payment on their appropriate payment day that week.

A customer whose payment day was Monday would have been paid on September (just about).

For anybody paid Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, their first payment would have been in October.

It started 30th September and runs for 28 weeks. There's always 28 weeks of it regardless of when it's paid.

while agreeing with part of your post … it is not wilful. They are simply insufficient

Insufficient is a good way of describing this particular tribe Graces. I’ll use it in future.
    Your left wing liberals will deny there’s any such tribe at all but they do exist and are growing quite fast at the moment.

Insufficient is a good way of describing this particular tribe Graces. I’ll use it in future.
    Your left wing liberals will deny there’s any such tribe at all but they do exist and are growing quite fast at the moment.

I wonder what the correlation is between this in the sheer numbers we have and the closing of the big mental asylums that catered for far more than mental illness. They were safe places where those who could not cope were protected. The descendants of the workhouses.

I am more familiar with the UK scene on all of this so you will know more.

Occurs to me that providing for many outside institutions is far more cost effective then the old ways?

and yes, they will increase and go on increasing.

If you or I acted like this we would be culpable. Not sure about this though?

I would not use a word like tribe though!

I wonder what the correlation is between this in the sheer numbers we have and the closing of the big mental asylums that catered for far more than mental illness. They were safe places where those who could not cope were protected. The descendants of the workhouses.

I am more familiar with the UK scene on all of this so you will know more.

Occurs to me that providing for many outside institutions is far more cost effective then the old ways?

and yes, they will increase and go on increasing.

If you or I acted like this we would be culpable. Not sure about this though?

I would not use a word like tribe though!

Graces it’s not just the disappearance of the psychiatric institutions it’s all the institutions including the hated mother and baby homes/laundries/homes for fallen women/county homes etc.
    The people who would have back in the bad old days been living in these institutions being “managed” by the state are now living, mostly in chaos, unsupported socially by anyone really, we just throw money at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Wibbs wrote: »

For a start more needs to be done about those on SW and doing "nixers". That's a pretty big issue in my experience anyway. They're the ones with the widescreen TV's and foreign holidays etc.

Agreed.....

and also the aul "Mickey money" for the mothers who are actually living with a partner on the sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mada999 wrote: »
    Agreed.....

and also the aul "Mickey money" for the mothers who are actually living with a partner on the sly.

I absolutely adore the great unwashed calling adrian kennedy and chris barry giving out when they get caught at a multi agency checkpoint driving the young’ns to school in a car registered to the boyfriend they claim doesnt live with them.

Its shocking the amount of straight up fraud that theyll admit to on radio

Advertisement