Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unacceptable level of irregular social welfare payments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

boombang wrote: »
    This thread degenerated into bickering very quickly.
    I think 20% of the sample being paid €50 too much weekly seems worthy of serious consideration.
    €50 a week is bugger all. Not worth worrying about. Literally costs more to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i've lived in areas with high welfare dependence for the last decade or so and..well..there is a lot of the spending patterns mentioned; massive TVs, boozing, trips to torremolinos, drugs etc and yes most of these put the cash back into the economy asap but i think its wrong to assume that these folk are having an awful time eking out a miserable existence. the 210euro a week is only the tip of the ice berg. Virtually free accommodation, no medical expenses, no child care expenses, multiple allowances. Also, its what they are used to. Its multi generational. there's no use in telling someone to go and try it if they think its easy. Easy is relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

terrydel wrote: »
    Can you back any of that up with actual evidence? Or do you just make everything up? If you are going to demonise whole sections of society, have the decency to provide evidence.

i'm not demonising anyone. i think we have a generous SW system that needs to be protected from fraud. I dont think there is anything particularly outlandish in my post. Which bits to do find troubling?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

terrydel wrote: »
    Can you back any of that up with actual evidence? Or do you just make everything up? If you are going to demonise whole sections of society, have the decency to provide evidence.

Are you serious, we all know it goes on, literally everyone can see it. Somebody made a post saying the UK had dismantled their welfare state , if thats a dismantled one take a look at tv programs like benefits street and tell me how on way less money they achieve the same results.

I understand you disagree with me but its being intentionally misleading to suggest this isnt happening when every dog in the street knows it is.

Speaking of dogs in the street , they shouldnt be allowed keep pets either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Are you serious, we all know it goes on, literally everyone can see it. Somebody made a post saying the UK had dismantled their welfare state , if thats a dismantled one take a look at tv programs like benefits street and tell me how on way less money they achieve the same results.

Again the UK didn't have a welfare state, please educate yourself to what an actual modern welfare state is, there is no excuse for your continuing ignorance, willful would be the only explanation at this stage.

Also I would suggest we don't mimic the UK on how they deal with important social issues. It's not great over there at minute. Maybe read up on that too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Speaking of dogs in the street , they shouldnt be allowed keep pets either.
    What the actual fcuk?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭fits

How any able bodied person makes it to retirement without that is beyond me.

Many women who have been caring for their families or loved ones (elderly/disabled) do not get the contributory pension. They have been working for no financial return all their lives. And believe me it is work and should be valued.

Wibbs wrote: »
    What the actual fcuk?

If they cant even support themselves then why should they be keeping animals.

If youre an able bodied person on JSA, your only focus in life should be getting a job to get off JSA. Too many distractions (or in the case of tattoos reduction in chances of employment) and exponential costs to society with alccohol, cigarettes and sunbeds and too much care and money needed in caring for animals to allow you achieve that goal.

Nobody is talking about removing oets from people who end up on JSB through a job loss but somebody on welfare for life or in receipt of JSA should not be allowed to purchase/ adopt a pet.

fits wrote: »
    Many women who have been caring for their families or loved ones (elderly/disabled) do not get the contributory pension. They have been working for no financial return all their lives. And believe me it is work and should be valued.

True of the old days i suppose, not so much anymore , should be an easy target for 90% of able bodied women to achieve these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Here in the UK, JobSeekers is £73.10 per week. That's some difference from Ireland.

They give out about the "spongers" coming here for the benefits, eh they don't realsie how much better it is nearby!

• Advertisement

True of the old days i suppose, not so much anymore , should be an easy target for 90% of able bodied women to achieve these days.

I hope your life continues to be so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The OP is someone who read A Modest Proposal and didnt realise it was satire.

I hope your life continues to be so easy.

Do you think an able bodied person would have a hard time achieving work ? If so why.

Do you think an able bodied person would have a hard time achieving work ? If so why.

Many people fall on unfortunate circumstances and cannot continue paid work. If you cannot comprehend how this might happen I envy you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed, for some the only valid "work" is a clerical cubicle position, or lifting heavy things as a PAYE type. The "virtue" of a certain type of work; Arbeit macht frei. Corporations and the "market" love this worldview as it swells their coffers, society is very much a secondary consideration on that balance sheet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Here in the UK, JobSeekers is £73.10 per week. That's some difference from Ireland.

They give out about the "spongers" coming here for the benefits, eh they don't realsie how much better it is nearby!
    Yes exactly. I’ll tell you the issue I have. Most people my age I know, have never been unemployed around their mid thirties and are struggling To get deposit together for house etc. some had parents to help them out. If you don’t though , it’s very difficult. Then we have this whole other cohort , who are taking a serious wedge from the states finances paid for by myself , many of you here and my mates etc. that transfer of wealth from the working poor to the feckless wasters is a scandal. I don’t feel responsible for the wasters. They can’t abuse the system in the uk and Germany like they do here , it wouldn’t be tolerated. Of course they didn’t dream up or implement this farce of system , of course they’ll take everything they can from it. And I actually see where there are coming from with “ de gubbement “ is useless , bank bailouts etc. all the media do is feed them how they are the victims , of course they believe it. Living in Ireland , is like living on a different planet. No personal responsibility. You’ll only ever have your peace if you leave this kip Eric !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Free market libertarians are just weirdos, it must be very unusual to think we live in a world of absolute equality, where all humans are rational beings, behaving, well, rationally! What a strange world view, and somewhat disturbing at the same time

Many people fall on unfortunate circumstances and cannot continue paid work. If you cannot comprehend how this might happen I envy you.

And while there is a carers allowance for carers, a disability allowamce for disability, lone parents allowance for lone parents (although when your kids are school age work should be possible ) is there scenarios im completely missing here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

What do you work at that allows you to post so frequently durong business hours? Just trying to determine the virtue of your position.

And while there is a carers allowance for carers, a disability allowamce for disability, lone parents allowance for lone parents (although when your kids are school age work should be possible ) is there scenarios im completely missing here ?

Speaking of the farce of the disability allowance etc and the sheer amount claiming it. I wonder how many receiving it here , would receive it in Germany !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

€50 a week is bugger all. Not worth worrying about. Literally costs more to get it back.

€50 a week x 0.2 x all the pensioners = bugger all?

Could I borrow some money from you?

The first two at least are means tested so if your husband/wife works you are not eligible
    None of those are comparable to a full time salary either. Carers allowance and disability are approximately 700 per month. Not much left after rent and food - nothing really.

The first two at least are means tested so if your husband/wife works you are not eligible
    None of those are comparable to a full time salary either. Carers allowance and disability are approximately 700 per month. Not much left after rent and food - nothing really.

Ok so outside of scenarios in which there are already special allowances, there is not one you can point out that would prevent an able bodied adult achieving employment ?

Suttree wrote: »
    What do you work at that allows you to post so frequently durong business hours? Just trying to determine the virtue of your position.

Self employed as a consultant. I spend a lot of time waiting on emails / for things to finish / people to show up.

Ok so outside of scenarios in which there are already special allowances, there is not one you can point out that would prevent an able bodied adult achieving employment ?

There are hundreds of scenarios. Here's one.

https://ie.gofundme.com/f/ava039s-wheels

Self employed as a consultant. I spend a lot of time waiting on emails / for things to finish / people to show up.

Interesting one, I'm a consultant myself - presumably you work to contracts then? I'm presuming you're perfectly diligent with timesheets and your own taxable expenses?

264 million on the Christmas bonus In 2018! Spent on ****e! Why spend it on infrastructure, paying down the national debt , cutting scandalous marginal rate of income tax. On mental health services etc. a brilliant investment of the 264 million !

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Budget-2019.aspx#1

Ten pounds In the uk. Link below !

https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus

Suttree wrote: »
    Interesting one, I'm a consultant myself - presumably you work to contracts then? I'm presuming you're perfectly diligent with timesheets and your own taxable expenses?

Typical of this country for someone to go attacking the worker! Dare make a statement on the off the wall welfare state , taxation here etc here and you’re a pariah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Idbatterim wrote: »
    264 million on the Christmas bonus In 2018! Spent on ****e! Why spend it on infrastructure, paying down the national debt , cutting scandalous marginal rate of income tax. On mental health services etc. a brilliant investment of the 264 million !

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Budget-2019.aspx#1

Ten pounds In the uk. Link below !

https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus

Do you remember all the whining and moaning when they took away the First Holy Communion grant?! Liveline was the place to be that week. I nearly died laughing.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Typical of this country for someone to go attacking the worker! Dare make a statement on the off the wall welfare state , taxation here etc here and you’re a pariah!

Calm down, love.

Advertisement