Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unacceptable level of irregular social welfare payments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Have you any reason to believe he is actually interested in leading Renua? For an ambitious getting-on-a-bit man looking to break into national politics, is a party on 0% in the opinion polls and with no elected representatives really the right vehicle?

Ive no idea, I know he wanted to lead a party. Well one is set up, good to go, looking for a leader. He is the only chance in hell, given the publicity he would get and that he resonates with a good chunk of the public, that they will win any seats!

As IF, FG or FF would let him near the top, you have to be a total smarmy, lying shyster to get to the top of those trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Idbatterim wrote: »
    those independent alliance gob****es with their few seats made a difference! Those dup gob****es propping up the tories made a difference!

Who would FG more likely align with to form a government if they need the support of a few seats. Another left wing party or a centreist, centre right party? :rolleyes:

they got 2.2% of the vote last time and that was when they had 3 TDs, all of whom lost their seats. They dont even have an elected councillor now. They are a joke of a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm getting sick of the constant implications here that being on welfare is a result of laziness or poor life choices. Sometimes it is but it's often a result of pure misfortune whether that's being a victim of circumstances outside your control or being born into an environment where you're always going be playing catch up.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm getting sick of the constant implications here that being on welfare is a result of laziness or poor life choices. Sometimes it is but it's often a result of pure misfortune whether that's being a victim of circumstances outside your control or being born into an environment where you're always going be playing catch up.

nobody is talking about people who have worked and been made redundant etc! People should be given a hand up, not endless hand outs. The system is responsible for a lot of this mess! Humans taking advantage of a dysfunctional system is human nature! But I dont think it does a lot of these people or their kids any good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ive no idea, I know he wanted to lead a party. Well one is set up, good to go, looking for a leader. He is the only chance in hell, given the publicity he would get and that he resonates with a good chunk of the public, that they will win any seats!

I get that Casey or someone like him is Renua's only (faint) chance of making a go of things, but I don't see what the attraction the other way is, bar a small chunk of taxpayer funding. John Leahy quit Renua because it was a drag on his plans to get into the Dail (not clear yet whether he plans to hook up with FF or go solo). If all he wants to do is lead a party, why not set up one of his own where he can design everything from scratch?

• Advertisement

I get that Casey or someone like him is Renua's only (faint) chance of making a go of things, but I don't see what the attraction the other way is, bar a small chunk of taxpayer funding. John Leahy quit Renua because it was a drag on his plans to get into the Dail (not clear yet whether he plans to hook up with FF or go solo). If all he wants to do is lead a party, why not set up one of his own where he can design everything from scratch?

I wonder what happened to the €250,000 of funding they got after the last election?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Have you ever been on welfare for say a year, not living with parents or from savings... Y'know actually trying to manage on the standard job seekers payment?

It's far from the gravy train you seem to think it is, especially if living outside the city and trying to find a job and pay your bills (which don't just disappear when you lose your job and income) just enough each month to keep them off your back.

Genuine cases of welfare fraud or those who have never legitimately worked should be identified and sanctioned.. No one disagrees with that, but this nonsense that significant numbers of welfare recipients are living it up at "your" expense is tiresome and frankly ridiculous.

Wow I certainly did not expect this response on boards.ie. Who are you all and what have you done with the dole bashers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

nobody is talking about people who have worked and been made redundant etc! People should be given a hand up, not endless hand outs. The system is responsible for a lot of this mess! Humans taking advantage of a dysfunctional system is human nature! But I dont think it does a lot of these people or their kids any good!

I don't think people like the OP can see the nuance of why people are on welfare tbh. I don't think they care either. It's far easier to label someone lazy and cut them off than look at issues of lack of engagement, education or childcare

yeah true, a lot of work would go into that though. not sure he is the type. I think the Renua thing is he were interested would be the ideal opportunity. I think he was a man who wanted right in, not the huge effort and commitment in starting up a new party etc. You'd also need money to go after the likes of FG and FF, not sure how wealthy he actually is, but he would get a lot of publicity if he ran, which would definitely help...

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't think people like the OP can see the nuance of why people are on welfare tbh. I don't think they care either. It's far easier to label someone lazy and cut them off than look at issues of lack of engagement, education or childcare

yeah I agree and that is largely down to government failure and a lot of the left wing politicians knocking on their door, offering no solutions other than the poverty trap and telling them how its all someone elses fault!

They are only out to win seats, some might care about the electorate , but they are seriously misguided about how these peoples lives could be improved for the better, those who are capable of working at least, whats they genius solution though? throw more welfare at them, its pathetic!

• Advertisement

I wonder what happened to the €250,000 of funding they got after the last election?

They've been getting that every year since the election. “Doesn’t come close to what is needed to run a political party," according to Leahy (even one with 1/0 elected representatives apparently).
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/renua-will-continue-to-collect-250k-despite-having-no-elected-representatives-930147.html

my dad came here in the early eighties from another EU country, found work nearly immediately, doing anything he could to make money, the local jobless would begrudge him and ask him how did he do it :rolleyes:

thats the thing, they offer up nothing but excuses, the same as the politicians that they vote for! Ive very limited sympathy in THIS country, that spends a fortune trying to give those without the best start etc, an option to improve their circumstance. What else can they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There are people who will scam if possible. In all walks. At all levels. We need root them all out.
    Are we to reevaluate every system every time a chancer gets caught out? It's pathetic behaviour to look to put standards of accountability on the most vulnerable group like they are an anomaly and one chancer tars everyone with the same brush.

They've been getting that every year since the election. “Doesn’t come close to what is needed to run a political party," according to Leahy (even one with 1/0 elected representatives apparently).
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/renua-will-continue-to-collect-250k-despite-having-no-elected-representatives-930147.html

250K is a lof of money for a party with no leader. Nice salary of 65K for leahy when he was leader. Surprised he gave that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

For the genuine cases on social welfare I don't begrudge anyone trying to live on the money that's given.

What I have an issue with is why we pay so much tax from our wages and we are not entitled to at least 2 free check ups (bloods, urine tests and discounted prescriptions etc per year) there should be a 2 week end of year prsi and usc reduction.

If you make working more attractive to people then you won't have much claiming and people angry at welfare claimants because they are being taxed to the bone with no perks...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

my dad came here in the early eighties from another EU country, found work nearly immediately, doing anything he could to make money, the local jobless would begrudge him and ask him how did he do it :rolleyes:

thats the thing, they offer up nothing but excuses, the same as the politicians that they vote for! Ive very limited sympathy in THIS country, that spends a fortune trying to give those without the best start etc, an option to improve their circumstance. What else can they do?

Honest question, why not take a leaf out of your fathers book and leave?

You are clearly unhappy here.

You have 26 (27) other countries to choose from. Or the whole world if you have the right criteria.

Sitting on internet constantly whinging and moaning isn't going to change anything you want to change.

Nice salary of 65K for leahy when he was leader. Surprised he gave that up.

Presumably he could see that wasn't going to be there after the next election and if the 'Renua' label was holding him back from getting into the Dail he needed to ditch it, even if it was giving him a temporary financial boost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Imagine the curse of being born as a mentally inferior man who has no choice but to slave for £8.21 per hour, then people wonder why there is so much suicide. The average person spends the first 22 years of their life in education so that they can avoid these jobs, then they expect us to slave at these jobs and be happy? No I look forward to my early death, the curse of autism and mental illness can't be underestimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

See this is the issue, There are people who have no experience and don’t speak a tap of english who have work here, abundantly so. Youd want to see the work ethic of young lads in rural romania, work as a farm hand and get paid in hens , build a coup and cycle to a village to sell the eggs, rent a plot of land and grow peppers in a polytunnel, teach themselves photoshop and use a library computer to do jobs on fiverr, theres some of our eastern european counterparts who are a beacon of hope when everyone in ireland screams ‘hand them 188 a week, its the only way to stop them doing crimes’

We’ve devalued work and effort and the rewards it brings , somebody mentioned mental health - the actual mental health henefits of having a job, a purpose and being active and having things to do all day are immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

See this is the issue, There are people who have no experience and don’t speak a tap of english who have work here, abundantly so. Youd want to see the work ethic of young lads in rural romania, work as a farm hand and get paid in hens , build a coup and cycle to a village to sell the eggs, rent a plot of land and grow peppers in a polytunnel, teach themselves photoshop and use a library computer to do jobs on fiverr, theres some of our eastern european counterparts who are a beacon of hope when everyone in ireland screams ‘hand them 188 a week, its the only way to stop them doing crimes’

We’ve devalued work and effort and the rewards it brings , somebody mentioned mental health - the actual mental health henefits of having a job, a purpose and being active and having things to do all day are immense.

Oh yes , lets hold up Romania as a shining beacon and good example to us all . Are you bloody serious ?

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Oh yes , lets hold up Romania as a shining beacon and good example to us all . Are you bloody serious ?

A beacon of work ethic and proof that the lack of a generous welfare state doesnt always equal crimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm loving your Daily Mail masturbatory image of someone living on what 200 quid a week? A hard drinking smoking, stoned, tanned and tattooed(?) bloke just back from a bookies in the Algarve. I'll say this a euro must go a helluva long way wherever you're living.

Never mind and this is the important part, outside of illegal drugs(and even there...) every one of those examples puts money back into the economy in goods, services and yep taxes. The "market" cares not a jot whether a euro comes from from a dolehead or a doctor to pay for any of those, something the market is king types seem to forget.

It must incense some people that I do sometimes spend my welfare money on eating a meal out or meeting a friend for tea or sometimes even going on holiday. :D Lads, ye can have my welfare income. Want the severely life-limiting disease that comes as part of the package too?

Ok so outside of scenarios in which there are already special allowances, there is not one you can point out that would prevent an able bodied adult achieving employment ?

I know a man who has had to quit his job to care for his terminally ill wife and their young children. His wife simply can’t do all the childcare in her condition and she had to quit her job too once diagnosed. Two good incomes to welfare in a matter of months. I’m sure they have savings but it wouldn’t take long to burn through those. They have very little extended family and none near them really so they have very little support.

I know a man who has had to quit his job to care for his terminally ill wife and their young children. His wife simply can’t do all the childcare in her condition and she had to quit her job too once diagnosed. Two good incomes to welfare in a matter of months. I’m sure they have savings but it wouldn’t take long to burn through those. They have very little extended family and none near them really so they have very little support.

And as has been explained repeatedly, that is catered for and the genuine need for the welfare state.

And your post above about illness.

Neither myself or anyone else has given out about genuine recipients, its those who take from the pot undeservedly and those who make the choice not to work and contribute.

And as has been explained repeatedly, that is catered for and the genuine need for the welfare state.

And your post above about illness.

Neither myself or anyone else has given out about genuine recipients, its those who take from the pot undeservedly and those who make the choice not to work and contribute.

They are really struggling. They get welfare but it’s not much, especially with a mortgage to pay (bills don’t go away). They are barely making ends meet on top of the stress of dealing with the illness. Do you think going from two solid incomes to needing welfare is no biggie? Come on.

As for deserving candidates - you wouldn’t know I was sick if you saw me. Seriously. You wouldn’t have a clue. How do you superficially ascertain who is a genuine welfare recipient and who isn’t? What is this superpower?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A beacon of work ethic and proof that the lack of a generous welfare state doesnt always equal crimes

Romania is riddled with crime actually

More bollix. In an actual "Welfare State" - Which is an absolutely fantastic thing.

Both would receive a large portion of their income they had to give up if not all.

Not to mention the services and care the entire family would receive.

Boggles wrote: »
    More bollix. In an actual "Welfare State" - Which is an absolutely fantastic thing.

Both would receive a large portion of their income they had to give up if not all.

Not to mention the services and care the entire family would receive.

Sadly all our money gets squandered on people who just gave up and never had an income, those nordic countries have it better for people who genuinely had to leave work because they dont have to support as much abuse from those who have never tried.

Sadly all our money gets squandered on people who just gave up and never had an income

More bollix lad.

The majority of our social protection budget goes to pensions, disability, illness and carers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What do you do for a living OP that allows you so much time to hate people on welfare, or "dark skinned" people you mentioned in the Greta thread? I would really hate to have that much bitterness inside me, I actually feel sorry for you. Be grateful for what you have and don't spend your days worrying about f*ckers on welfare. Sad.

Advertisement