Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many of your grandparents are still alive?

• 01-10-2019 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Their ages? Yours?

As for me I've still got both grandmas, and hopefully I'll still have them for a few more years: 86 and 95.

Both grandfathers died at age 67.

I'm 28.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

TimeUp wrote: »
    Their ages? Yours?

As for me I've still got both grandmas, and hopefully I'll still have them for a few more years: 86 and 95.

I'm 28.

A 77 year old grandfather still alive, and 76 year old grandmother on one side, and an 82 year old grandmother the other side.

I'm 33.

Lucky to have them.

Edit: if I reach 50 and they're still alive, they'll be younger than yours are now, crazy thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Zero.

One died before I was born.
    The others died when I was around 14 or 15. I’m 38 now

I wasn’t close with any of them so it didn’t have much of an effect on me at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’m 34. I have one Granny living, she’s 98, will be 99 in February and some woman at that.

My other Granny died at 93 and my two Grandads at 81 and 79.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

One out of four. She 90 this year, both Grandads would be 100+ if they were still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I'm 36 and have a grandmother pushing 100 who is still going strong. Good genes on that side of the family, her mother lived to 97.

I knew my grandfather on the other side and he lived into his 80's but my other 2 grandparents passed relatively young before I was born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

None,
    Paternal grandad died when I was a baby.
    My maternal granny died when I was 8 - had a big effect on me.
    Paternal granny died when I was 12.
    Maternal grandad died when I was 18.

I'm 41 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I am early 40s. None of my Grandparents remain alive. My father is also deceased. Same for my husband's family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Only one alive when I was born and she died when I was around 8. I don't remember being very close.

Up until 18 months ago, myself and my wife, both around 50, had all 4 parents alive - all around 90. Felt very lucky.
    Alas, only the mothers left now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

On one side they made it to mid 40's (I think) and 80'ish. On the other side 96 and 102.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm 40.

Both paternal grandparents had passed away before I was born. Maternal grandmother died when I was 12, her husband when I was 16.

Maternal Grandad - 72
    Maternal Grandma - 67
    Paternal Grandad - 81
    Paternal Grandma - 69

Am sorry that they were gone before I was really able to engage with them, have memories of them but doesn't feel like we had a relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

All Dead.

I'm 37.

Maternal- 82 and 94

Paternal 69 and 90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I only ever had one who passed when I was about 15. Compared to my daughter who has a full set plus a great grandad. Times have certainly changed. . . .and I'm only 36

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

Mothers parents are both still alive, 70's and 80's. Fathers both dead, but both lived to late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I'm 30.

Only ever met my maternal grandmother who passed away in 2012 at the age of 89.

Her husband died in his 40's (leaving 10 kids behind :eek: )

Don't know when my paternal grandparents died but I think they were both pretty young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No grandparents left a live, and my daughter is experiencing her first loss now with the death of her nanny this weekend (my mother in law).

We're just going through all the funeral arrangements now, visiting/viewings etc and burial tomorrow.

Having been through it with all my grandparents it feeling strange now bringing my daughter through her first loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭victor8600

My grandparents are all gone, but they lived good lives (my mum's dad passed away quite early though) and I had a lot of fun with them. My father's dad passed away last year. They lived to:
    Maternal Grandad - 66
    Maternal Grandma - 79
    Paternal Grandad - 91
    Paternal Grandma - 89

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

All sadly passed on now. I knew both of my grandmothers and my paternal grandfather. My grannies passed away at 84 in 1985 and 79 in 1994 respectively. Both really doted on me as I was the youngest of all their grandchildren. :) My grandad made it to a ripe old 92, passing in 2000.

I'm 44 years of age now. Sadly both of my parents are also gone, my mum tragically at only 47 in 1990 and my dad at 74 in 2014. Oh how I miss them! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

None.

My paternal grandfather died of a heart attack at 65 (family history), maternal grandfather of cancer at 77, maternal grandmother of cancer at 78 (he was a heavy drinker, she was a heavy smoker).

My paternal grandmother who was the biggest hypochondriac ever, and had a terror of illness, died of old age at nearly 98. :)

So it's good to be vigilant about your health but she caused herself a lot of stress and worry, and some people will still get cancer or another serious illness even if perfectly healthy.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm 44 years of age now. Sadly both of my parents are also gone, my mum tragically at only 47 in 1990 and my dad at 74 in 2014. Oh how I miss them! :(
    Aw man that's rough. Sorry to read it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

None.

Maternal grandfather - died a couple of years before I was born. He was in his 80s
    Maternal grandmother- died when I was 13. Also in her 80s (age gap!)
    Paternal grandfather - died when I was 14. He was 76.
    Maternal grandmother - died last year. She was 96.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

1 still left alive.
    Im 45-grannys 90 next February. Still walks to the shops every day.Lives alone.
    Not a bother on her--I hope Im that fit when Im 90.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

My last grandparent died over 20 years ago. My daughter was a toddler at the time and great granny dying really bothered her. It was charming to see that she had some echo of the love I had for that woman. I loved that Granny the most, she has had a powerful psychological influence on my life. She was a strong rural woman who read voraciously and widely, could slaughter animals when the time came, smoked hard tobacco, knew endlessly surprising things, held loud contrarian opinions on everything especially politics and was something of a mystic. I dreamed of her last night.
    Both my grandads died fairly young, drank themselves determinedly to death, and in the process caused much hurt to those around them. It's why I have never bothered with the drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

None. All gone a long time now. I only knew one of my grand parents and he would be 115 if he were still alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Mum's mother passed away in the 90s. Dad's mother passed away earlier this year, with his brother within a month from her. I never met my grandfathers, both were no longer around when I was born in '84.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rather amazingly, all four are still alive and I'm 35!

They're all in their late 70s now and starting to get a bit creaky, however they're still going strong and are great craic over a few pints. :)

Had two of my great grandparents alive up until a few years ago.

Actually I have a great photo of myself with my dad, his dad and his dad all standing outside the great grandparents house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

None.

Maternal grandmother died the month before I was born.

Paternal grandfather died when I was 7.

Paternal grandmother when I was 15.

Paternal grandfather when I was 20.

I was 40 this year.

The paternal GF hit me hardest. He lived with us for the last few years of his life and we were quite close. He smoked like a hure, liked a pint, had a voracious appetite for books and adored cheesy action movies, we had alot of laughs together.

I'm lucky that both my parents are still alive and are currently healthy. I have two kids myself and the oldest is 2 and a half and he absolutely ADORES my dad. My folks have a farm so between tractors, machinery and animals its like Christmas for him every time we visit, my dad to be fair to him is wonderful with both kids aswell, considering he is your typical non emotional, country reared Irishman its lovely to see the two of them go off hand in hand across the fields. Hopefully they will be with us for many years to come as grandparents are massively important for kids, I think I've only really begun to truly appreciate that since my pair came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Never knew any of my grandparents. Both my parents lost their mothers when they were only young.

My mom's dad passed away when I was only a baby and dad's dad was gone before then.

It's not a dynamic I've ever known and it's weird seeing it in other families given how common and important it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

o1s1n wrote: »

They're all in their late 70s now and starting to get a bit creaky, however they're still going strong and are great craic over a few pints. :)

Actually I have a great photo of myself with my dad, his dad and his dad all standing outside the great grandparents house.

Wow, your grandparents are really young for your age!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Their ages? Yours?

I'm 28.

You’re Wayne Rooney, aren’t ya?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd need to double check but as far as I know, all my grandparents were born in the 1800s!
    (I'm not quite 50)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

All dead by the time I was 18. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Both parents and all grandparents deceased.

One of my grandfathers died in a Prisoner of War camp in Germany in the second world .
    He was drunk one night and fell out of the watchtower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Just lost the last of mine last Friday morning. I'm 36. She was 89. I was close to all my grandparents but she played a significant part in my upbringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

None were alive by the time my parents met so I never had a relationship with any of them which is something I feel I lost out on. My Dad was orphaned by 13 (His mother died when he was 11 or so and his father a few years after). My mother's father died when she was in her teens and her mother passed away about a week before she met my father.

My own kids have it rather different. As a blended family they effectively have 3 sets of grandparents (all still living), a step-Grandmother. Their great grandmother on my wife's side passed away about 4 years ago, my stepson lost his great-grandfather a couple of years back and his great-grandmother has only recently been admitted to a nursing home in her 90s having been fighting fit until about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Their ages? Yours?

I'm 28.

All 5 of them still flying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

No grandparents alive. My paternal grandparents died long before I was born. They both died in their early 50s. My maternal grandparents both died a number of years ago at age 91 and 94. I was close with them and seen them every week for almost 30 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Last of mine died when I was 29, my maternal grandfather. First died when I was 13, my paternal grandfather. On the maternal side they died in their early to mid 70's, on the paternal side, both were 83.

I had a maternal great-grandmother who outlived my paternal grandfather. She died at the age of 94 when I was about 14. She had at least one great-great-grandchild before she died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Zero Alive

Maternal Grandad - Died 1979
    Maternal Grandma - Died 1982
    Paternal Grandad - Died 1958
    Paternal Grandma - Died 1932 (Yup :)

I'm 43 and my father would be 104 if alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

All long gone.
    Very different people who lived during a very different and hard time.
    As I see my own parents grow up, I see parts in them from all those years ago.
    They are probably at the same age now I would have remembered my grandparents when I was a kid, which freaks me out a little. I don't think anyone wants to think their parents are that old when mortality sets in.

I often think about them and am so grateful of all they did. Good country folk who looked after their family, their land and animals.

Sure I wouldn't be here without them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Grandmother died at age 39 of what is now a very treatable cancer, other Grandmother also died of cancer in her 60s just before i was born, both Grandfathers died when I was 8, one suddenly at 73, the other after an illness at 84.

My own father is recently gone too, but both parents made sure I knew a lot about their parents, always visited their graves, heard the stories and in fact organised family dinners to celebrate what would have been their 100th birthdays when they came around. I thought that was a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

None of them. I’m mid 30s.

Paternal grandfather died in his early 60s four years before I was born.
    Maternal grandmother died at 80, when I was 15.
    Maternal grandfather died at 90, when I was 22.
    Paternal grandmother died at 90, when I was 28.

I thought I’d be long-lived too. LOL.

My husband still gets sad thinking about his maternal granny dying and it was seventeen years ago. He truly loved her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Aglomerado wrote: »
    All dead by the time I was 18. :(

Mine by the time I was for or five. Last was my dad's mother, who I dimly remember. Mother also deceased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Only one is alive my maternal grandmother aged 81. She's slowing down a bit movement wise but the mind is still sharp enough to go on mastermind. I'm 34 and if I'm as sharp as she is her age I'll be happy.

Maternal grandfather died age 76 in2009
    Paternal grandfather died age 93 in 2011
    Paternal grandmother died age 84 in 2003
    Paternal great grandmother died age 90 in 1995

My matenal great grandmother died a year after I was born but obviously I've no memory of her.
    I was close with them all but closest with my mothers father. All their deaths were hard but his hit me like a tonne of bricks. He died two days before Christmas so that was a rough one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Paternal grandfather-a few years before I was born (not sure of age)
    Maternal grandfather-when I was a toddler aged 90
    Maternal grandmother-when I was 7 aged 85
    Paternal grandmother-when I was 13 aged 88

Oldest grandfather was born 135 years ago. Oldest aunt was born 110 years ago.

My parents died at 60 and 78. I am 47.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

o1s1n wrote: »

I’m mid-30s and my parents are nearing their 70s! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Their ages? Yours?

I'm 28.

Not only were all of my grandparents gone before I was your age, but both of my parents were too!

Infact all of my grandparents were gone before I was even born!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Only ever knew my maternal granny. She died when I was 17. Grand fathers and paternal grany died long before I was even conceived

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

None, sadly. My two grandfathers both died before I was born. I lost my granny when I was in Junior Cert, the day my exams started in fact. She was my Godmother and I was very close to her.

My nana passed away a few years ago at the ripe old age of 101. My sister was closer to her than I was and she used to favour my sister over me when we were kids but she was still a good grandmother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Granny is 87 today!!

Unfortunately she has alzhmiers and is in a nursing home.

Im 45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I never knew the grandparents on my fathers side...Both had passed away before I was born.. my grandfather died from a massive heart attack in his sleep in his mid 40s ( a workaholic apparently who didn’t smoke or drink ) and my grandmother was in her 60’s and had cancer.

On my mothers side there are great genes, my grandmother was 88 and my grandfather 84 when they shuffled off.... both terrific people, had immeasurable volumes of kindness, good humor and fun...

• Advertisement
Advertisement