Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why arent many female comedians funny ?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres plenty of funny female comedian,s , chelsea peretti,sarah silverman,
    sharon horgan, tina fey, tiffany haddish,whitney cummings,Aisling Bea etc
    yes if you watch tv there are more male comedian,s than female .
    in terms of population we are well represented in term,s of actors ,comedian,s vs the uk or america.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    They have about 12 times our population might have something to do with it.
    So if we bring it back to the premise of the thread - if we had many more women than men then they would be funnier.

It's about quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s probably loads of mediocre male comedians out there ,
    only the good ones get to be on tv.
    Maybe its like pop music, for every taylor swift,or adele, there,s 10,000 female singers who will never get into the charts or even have a video on mtv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

faceman wrote: »
    There has been much research done on the topic and there is very little difference in quality of comedy output..

from the link I posted yesterday...
    found that men were, overall, rated as funnier than women. How big was the difference? In statistical technical terms, the effect size was 0.32, or roughly one-third of the standard deviation. In plain English, this means that 63 percent of men score above the mean humor ability of women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yes it is. The suggestion that gender influences how funny someone is down right offensive

Spoken like someone who passed the rigorous selection test for Cmod with flying colours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

joan rivers - very funny.

the rest, absolutely bloidy useless.

and the feminist period-joking blah blah ones should be - god i cant think.of anything bad enough to do to these cripplingly dreary ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Completely agree with this. However gender isn't a characteristic of the quality of comedy
    In specific individual cases I would broadly agree with you, overall I wouldn't. As you noted from one study "Even more interested was that both male and female participants missattributed". Men are generally seen as being more likely to be funny.
    But isn't many opinions in the discussion hypocritical. Would those who make a generalisation that women aren't as funny as men, agree then that all male comedians are funny? Obviously not. So why then is there a stigma with female comedians. If men are the funnier sex, would that not mean they are the funnier on a consistent basis?
    They seem to be going by the number who get into comedy and the number of those successful at it to 50/50 gender split audiences. Of course all men aren't funny, only a small percentage are and an even smaller percentage have what it takes consistently to do stand up, comedic acting and the like. However it's a far higher percentage of men at that level. Again being viewed and paid for by men and women. Though I would say the gender difference in comedic acting is much narrower. If you look at a show like Friends, IMHO the best two comedy actors in that ensemble with the best timing are Perry and Aniston. Comedic writing would be another area where the differences would be lesser. It seems the stand up arena is where the differences are most marked and there are more men who do it and more men who are better at doing it.

On a tangent... Storytelling. There are a lot of bloody good to genius level women writers and going way back in history and across cultures too, however as one on one or to an audience storytellers not nearly so much. Now many men and women couldn't spin a yarn to save their lives and a goodly chunk of men and women would be good alternatives to sleeping tablets, but again the better storytellers tend to be men. Have I been bored to tears by men telling me a tale of their day or an event? Hell yes, but I've been bored to a near coma by more women trying to do so. The payoff, the punchline seems to the stumbling block for a start and unfunny/uninteresting rambling and tangents.
    Another study took pictures of attractive men and women and put funny and funny statements under each picture. Participants were asked which was more desirable. Women were drawn to the images where the statement was deemed funnier but men didn't care if the female statements were funny or not. The study also showed women were more attracted to men who could make them laugh while men were more interested in women who would laugh at their jokes.
    Which strongly suggests selection going on which makes it reproductively advantageous for men to be funnier than women and of not a clear advantage for women.
    joan rivers - very funny.

the rest, absolutely bloidy useless.

and the feminist period-joking blah blah ones should be - god i cant think.of anything bad enough to do to these cripplingly dreary ones.
    Phyllis Diller was another old style comedian who had it. Similar vibe to Rivers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement