Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB eCars pricing introduction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The ecar connect app is still the old one with only a map - no user / payment setup. So presently there is only one pay as you go options. Again why not just a straight bank card payment?

Well, technically there are none... without the app. This is ecars we're talking about. It'll probably be a while before all the ducks get lined up. :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

innrain wrote: »
    Here is the new layout for the chargers map

https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger?

When you click on a charger it shows you a bar chart of peak charging times. Interesting

But no unit of measurement. Each bar represents an hour I guess, but does a full bar mean it's typically in constant use during this hour, or is that full bar relative to the other bar around it (ie. a full bar just means this is the busiest time, regardless of how busy busy actually means)? Be nice to see something like for 4-5pm, it's average time in use is 45 minutes vs average of 5 minutes between 2-3am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Interesting snippets from the terms and conditions.

You are not allowed to end a charge and restart within 5 minutes, this is classed as abusing the network to extend beyond the 45 minute limit. Should be not allowed to restart within 30 IMO.

Also says that if you stay more than 10 minutes after charging has finished you may incur a fee, no figure given though.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Excellent,lots of little incentives to encourage charge n f@#£ off then,brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

zC7Yl3l.jpg

Pesky Leaf Mk1 hogging a 150kW charger already :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

Sorry folks, but where can I get the app? The online version is talking about switching to the app and has app notification settings, but there's no app anywhere!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

McGiver wrote: »
    Sorry folks, but where can I get the app? The online version is talking about switching to the app and has app notification settings, but there's no app anywhere!

Don't think the updated app is out yet.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Don't think the updated app is out yet.

Pushing new versions of apps can take time. Apple in particular can be difficult, so while the app might have planned to be ready by now, and is ready, Apple or Google could be slowing down the rollout. Just my theory anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyway you don't need the app necessarily right now.
    Link your old card to your account as an RFID and now you can swipe that instead of faffing about with an app.
    Contactless PAYG would be better still but I'm happy with this as a solution.
    Although for me it will go, in order of priority

Ionity
    Tesla Superchargers
    Easygo
    Then esb, so I don't foresee myself using them very much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 159conor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I think it's an awful idea personally.

So I have a charger reserved for 3pm.

You turn up at 2:50 and what happens? Does it not let you start, or are you restricted to 10 minutes and then it kicks you off? Guaranteed to be heated arguments at chargers in that case.

And what if I'm 10 minutes late? You're sat there for 20 minutes locked out or restricted while I stroll up late?

Completely unnecessary. First come first served, overstay fee to prevent pi$$ taking.

They have a few rules for resovations.
    defaultMinuteReservationTimeRange", 30
    MinimumLeadTimeBeforeReserveAllowed", 15
    maxMinutesAllowedForReservationOnFastSockets", 40
    maxMinutesAllowedForReservationOnStandardSockets", 60

It also looks like reservations cost money both to create and there is a now show fee

• Advertisement

Reservation is possibly the stupidest idea I ever heard.

159conor wrote:
    They have a few rules for resovations. defaultMinuteReservationTimeRange", 30 MinimumLeadTimeBeforeReserveAllowed", 15 maxMinutesAllowedForReservationOnFastSockets", 40 maxMinutesAllowedForReservationOnStandardSockets", 60

Cool. Did you pull it from the API?

Cool. Did you pull it from the API?

Inspect element and searched arround a bit. Also the little lightning bolts refer to the charging mode not very clear and confusing.

159conor wrote:
    Inspect element and searched arround a bit. Also the little lightning bolts refer to the charging mode not very clear and confusing.

Looks like JavaScript...

159conor wrote: »

Doing a bit of that myself. They have provisions for a "no show fee" also.
    widget.evMap.reservation.noShowFee": "No show fee: {0}.

Also a billing price plan for minutes:
    billingPlanPricing.minutePrice
    "widget.evMap.reservation.priceForMinutes": "{0} minutes for {1}."

There is also a provision for discharging. Esb might have plans for V2G
    case "PREPARING":
    case "FINISHING":
    case "AVAILABLE":
    case "OCCUPIED":
    case "CHARGING":
    case "DISCHARGING":
    case "PAUSED":
    case "FAULTED":
    case "UNAVAILABLE":
    case "UNKNOWN":
    case "IN_MAINTENANCE":
    case "RESERVED":
    case "THIRDPARTY":

159conor wrote:
    There is also a provision for discharging. Esb might have plans for V2G Code: case "PREPARING": case "FINISHING": case "AVAILABLE": case "OCCUPIED": case "CHARGING": case "DISCHARGING": case "PAUSED": case "FAULTED": case "UNAVAILABLE": case "UNKNOWN": case "IN_MAINTENANCE": case "RESERVED": case "THIRDPARTY":
    That's quite cool but can't imagine how would that work...

You know you can just stick a shortcut on your screen to your account homepage whilst wAiting for the updated app right ?.........

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Driivz is a platform, eCars may not role with all the features

liamog wrote: »
    Driivz is a platform, eCars may not role with all the features

Driivz software: "This system allows ESB ecars to monitor the availablility of the charge point network and to remotely operate charge point units in the field, as well as the ability to carry out fault diagnoses and repair. So as drivers plug in their EVs, and others disconnect and continue their journeys, the charge point map is constantly changing to reflect this."

atleast thats what esb was said as of 2017, looks like its how they manage their chargers and keep track of whats still working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

159conor wrote: »
    looks like its how they manage their chargers and keep track of whats still working

And it does such a great job too!

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Lol, the 2 shiny new FCPs, first dual rapid ESB site, dead as a doornail after barely a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Lol, the 2 shiny new FCPs, first dual rapid ESB site, dead as a doornail after barely a week.

Both of them? That suggests a problem with the electrical infrastructure of the site, rather than the chargers themselves. Someone here reported that all four Ionity chargers were out of order in Athlone due to some reset procedure not being properly followed IIRC. Sounds a bit like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

fricatus wrote: »
    Both of them? That suggests a problem with the electrical infrastructure of the site, rather than the chargers themselves. Someone here reported that all four Ionity chargers were out of order in Athlone due to some reset procedure not being properly followed IIRC. Sounds a bit like that.

The Athlone ones were back up and running only a few hours later

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

I have a Zoe that charges on 22kW AC, does anybody know if I will have to pay to use the AC charger cord at ESB rapid chargers from now on or do the charges only apply to rapid DC charging? At most rapid chargers I can AC charge alongside an existing DC charge session.

Bixler3 wrote: »
    I have a Zoe that charges on 22kW AC, does anybody know if I will have to pay to use the AC charger cord at ESB rapid chargers from now on or do the charges only apply to rapid DC charging? At most rapid chargers I can AC charge alongside an existing DC charge session.
    You will have to pay at a FCP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Has anyone registered for PAYG yet?
    They are looking for €20 up front, but there is no app etc?

Anyone actually complete the reg?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jusmeig wrote: »

Yeah, a few days ago.

jusmeig wrote: »

You can complete the registration on the website.

Why do you want go PAYG? For the first 12 months you can get the cheaper rate for no monthly fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

You can complete the registration on the website.

Why do you want go PAYG? For the first 12 months you can get the cheaper rate for no monthly fee.

I use them like 2/3 times a year I would say.
    Did not see that offer, just went for PAYG.
    Ive not completed the process so i can do this instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I really feel like I'm missing something here, or are ESB not explaining this very well?

I'm looking at the Pay As You Go option, as I only use a Fast Charger maybe twice a month.

My payment optoins are Pay As You Go or Pre Pay, and it says an initial €20 credit is needed for Pre Pay.

I'm signing up for Pay As You Go, but it's telling me 'an initial amount of €20 will be charged as Pre Pay Credit'. But I don't want the Pre Pay option, I want the Pay As You Go option.

Can someone explain the different choices to me?

Thanks...

jasonb wrote: »
    I really feel like I'm missing something here, or are ESB not explaining this very well?

I'm looking at the Pay As You Go option, as I only use a Fast Charger maybe twice a month.

My payment optoins are Pay As You Go or Pre Pay, and it says an initial €20 credit is needed for Pre Pay.

I'm signing up for Pay As You Go, but it's telling me 'an initial amount of €20 will be charged as Pre Pay Credit'. But I don't want the Pre Pay option, I want the Pay As You Go option.

Can someone explain the different choices to me?

Thanks...

My understanding is that there are two PAYG options: pre-pay a credit and use that as you go, and pay at the charger by debit/credit card. The card needs to be added to the app if they ever get it working and rolled out.

There's a promotional offer available where you sign up for the subscription model and there will be no monthly payments for the first year. This gives you the cheaper kW rate of €0.29.

I'm an occasional user, so I'm going to use the subscription model for the year and then transition to the PAYG by credit card option at the end of the 12 months.

My understanding is that there are two PAYG options: pre-pay a credit and use that as you go, and pay at the charger by debit/credit card. The card needs to be added to the app if they ever get it working and rolled out.

There's a promotional offer available where you sign up for the subscription model and there will be no monthly payments for the first year. This gives you the cheaper kW rate of €0.29.

I'm an occasional user, so I'm going to use the subscription model for the year and then transition to the PAYG by credit card option at the end of the 12 months.

Thanks for your reply. If I'm trying to sign up to the Pay at the Charger by Debit/Credit Card, why am I being asked to add credit to my account while signing up?

Have you read anywhere that we can transfer from subscription to PAYG at the end of the 12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Thanks for your reply. If I'm trying to sign up to the Pay at the Charger by Debit/Credit Card, why am I being asked to add credit to my account while signing up?

Have you read anywhere that we can transfer from subscription to PAYG at the end of the 12 months?

There are two Pay As You Go payment options:

Pay As You Go: Make a once off transaction at any ESB fast charge point or via the ecar connect app

Pre Pay: Purchase pre-paid credit with a registered account on our website our via the ecar connect app

What's Included?
    • Charge and go via our ecar connect app
    • Live charge point map
    • 24/7 customer care support
    • Free ESB charge point access card worth €10. Initial top up of €20 required (Pre Pay only)
    • Option to purchase additional ESB charge point access card for a once off €10 fee

https://esb.ie/ecars/price-plans/pay-as-you-go

So use the app (when it comes out) if you don't want to have a small balance in esb account. Its a bit safer to have a balance if card is declined for a weird reason when you are at charger. Bank fees are probably less for you too, less transactions.

Thanks, I read that text on the website, while I was signing up. But on the second page of registration it's telling me that an initial fee of €20 will be charged to my card, and that's the part I don't understand. If I'm not doing PrePay, then why is money being charged to my card now?

• Advertisement

Yes, I believe the question was asked on their facebook page and the answer was that it would be possible to terminate the subscription and then to set up the PAYG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Has this gone fully live yet?
    I know they introduced new pricing etc but not sure if live yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Has this gone fully live yet?
    I know they introduced new pricing etc but not sure if live yet.

Payment starts 18 November.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Payment starts 18 November.

So can you still rock up to a rapid charger with your old esb card and charge away as before?

So can you still rock up to a rapid charger with your old esb card and charge away as before?

Correct

• Advertisement

Correct

Thanks. The when the new charging system comes in, can you still use the ‘old’ card or so you have to do a completely new registration for a new card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thanks. The when the new charging system comes in, can you still use the ‘old’ card or so you have to do a completely new registration for a new card?

The registration page allows you to enter the number of your existing card. This is printed on the front and is a bit difficult to see at first glance (I thought it wasn’t there at first). If the number isn’t visible, IIRC you’ll have to get a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

Take a look at this map and article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50261278

It only shows UK 'regions', it is interesting that NI comes out bottom of the league for both regular and fast chargers, and that Scotland is far ahead on both. It would be great to have a similar map for Ireland, come on ESB ECars if any of you read these posts, which I doubt (and even if you do, I expect you are absolutely banned from replying - such a pity). From my personal experience I suspect that the Republic would come out pretty close to NI in the rankings.

Pay the 20 euro,card is on file and will only top up when your balance drops to a fiver,Handy if your card is lost damaged or you forget your wallet etc etc.....

First charge since the new site started.

Plus-
    The live status is proper live now. Not like the old system where there was often up to 20 minutes delay. Today I plugged in at 9:13 and within a minute the site showed that a charge started at 9:13.

Minus-
    The swipe to start didn't work. Swipe away, made no difference. Had to start with a card as normal.

DrPhilG wrote:
    Minus- The swipe to start didn't work. Swipe away, made no difference. Had to start with a card as normal.

Swipe where? With what? In the Web app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Take a look at this map and article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50261278

It only shows UK 'regions', it is interesting that NI comes out bottom of the league for both regular and fast chargers, and that Scotland is far ahead on both. It would be great to have a similar map for Ireland, come on ESB ECars if any of you read these posts, which I doubt (and even if you do, I expect you are absolutely banned from replying - such a pity). From my personal experience I suspect that the Republic would come out pretty close to NI in the rankings.

NI is far worse than ROI. Many fast chargers have no CCS. Little to no maintenance, no ionity, no easygo, no plans for the ROI esb rollout to take place in NI. Heck the new fees don't apply in NI either. No replacement of slow chargers. They are waiting on free money from stormont which has not sat for 3 years.

People are ditching small range EVs in NI as they can't get from A to B due to state of network. Beware anyone heading north, particularly if your car is CCS

Swipe where? With what? In the Web app?

Yeah, the new web app has swipe to start. Not tried it though, card is quicker

Charged at a SCP in Derry last night, used the swipe option and it worked fine.

Card may be quicker but a few of the SCPs in Derry (and there's only about 3 left in operation) have been failing to read cards and needing a remote start.

Yeah, the new web app has swipe to start. Not tried it though, card is quicker

Is the new App out on Android yet? My app 'updated' a week or so ago, to just a Google Map page of eCars chargers and nothing else, and the loading page of the App says a new App will be available soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement