Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB eCars pricing introduction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

slave1 wrote: »
    I highly doubt Norway has just 400 DC chargers, that seems way too low to me

https://www.statista.com/statistics/696548/number-of-electric-car-charging-stations-in-norway-by-type/

According to that, 2018 figures, published in January 2019:
    Standard 7,910 (I'm assuming "Standard" means the 22kW type?)
    Chademo 50kW 1,103
    CCS 50kW 1,087
    Type 2 43kW 49
    Tesla Supercharger 562

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    I dont think anyone would disagree that we need lots more of the likes of that and yes Tesla had the vision because they had no ICE shackles holding them back.

None of that means that AC isnt hugely important also. We need both to increase in numbers.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that either. I for one am delighted I can plug into my tethered AC charger at home in the most effortless way possible. And charge with the cheapest and greenest rates. Next spring hopefully also free at times and truly 100% renewable from my own solar PV.

And work charging, in a few years with smart chargers largely on solar PV during the day (at a very low cost to the employer to install, with tax benefits too) is also hugely positive

We need far less DC chargers per capita than say the Netherlands, where not that many people have a private driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

slave1 wrote: »
    +1

ESB finally got back to me, my account is enabled now.

I Received my new card today and activated it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ELM327 wrote: »
    11kW is my car's max AC speed, like any other non dual/HP charging Tesla. It's very much a destination charger. 11kW means approx 56 km per hour of charging added in my model S

OMG we get it, you bought a Tesla! Stop harping on about it

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

JohnC. wrote: »
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/696548/number-of-electric-car-charging-stations-in-norway-by-type/

According to that, 2018 figures, published in January 2019:
    Standard 7,910 (I'm assuming "Standard" means the 22kW type?)
    Chademo 50kW 1,103
    CCS 50kW 1,087
    Type 2 43kW 49
    Tesla Supercharger 562

Paywalled, can you post a picture?

Also pretty sure it's connectors not chargers and pretty sure many of them are multiple connectors per charger. And I don't count Tesla, that's a VIP network.

According to opencharge map Norway has 9813 charging stations in 2119 locations.

https://openchargemap.org/site/country#NO

Ireland: 1089 charging stations in 569 locations - exactly correct.

I had wrong number of DCs (maybe the DC figures I've seen were "locations"). My point stands - AC are vast majority of the chargers in Norway 78%. I'd expect tla similar situation in Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands.

11kW is my car's max AC speed, like any other non dual/HP charging Tesla. It's very much a destination charger. 11kW means approx 56 km per hour of charging added in my model S

No, it's not for normal cars say 50kW battery which can do 11 AC (or 22kW Zoe :P). Tesla is not a normal car... Yet.

unkel wrote: »
    And work charging, in a few years with smart chargers largely on solar PV during the day (at a very low cost to the employer to install, with tax benefits too) is also hugely positive
    Very few employers are willing/able to install it unless it's an MNC. I wouldn't mind if incentives were put in place for this - currently there's no incentive apart from accelerated write-off which is pretty useless, it's a cash flow benefit but not tax benefit.
    We need far less DC chargers per capita than say the Netherlands, where not that many people have a private driveway.
    Did you mean AC or DC here?
    This driveway thing is quite misleading. For example 35% households in Dublin live in apartments, similar would be the case for 3-4 largest cities. Apartment population also grows significantly faster than house population. Then there are people in houses who are renting, then there are people owning a house with no driveway. So the census figure of 12% households living in apartments in whole Ireland is meaningless in context. Cities are where the EV growth comes from, not villages/towns, so who cares that most rural folk live in houses? Unless there's some rural EV revolution I'm unaware of. It's an issue which needs sorting, and I'm not sure DC with current technical state of play (cars, batteries, chargers) will fix this. Also DC chargers are very expensive as I said.

EDIT: before you say it - I'm all for DC core infrastructure on ALL M and N roads spaced in regular distances and with multi connector setup as well, that needs to be done first, but AC is equally important, especially in cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

All new apartment/house developments seem to have allocated parking so there's no reason in principle why they can't have on street chargers with an RFID or smartphone lock.

People sharing or renting houses are no different to owner occupiers, it's not a significant expense to get a charger put in, about the same as any other appliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OMG we get it, you bought a Tesla! Stop harping on about it

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    You'll surely forgive my indulgences on day 1 of ownership to be fair :D

Lumen wrote: »
    All new apartment/house developments seem to have allocated parking so there's no reason in principle why they can't have on street chargers with an RFID or smartphone lock.

People sharing or renting houses are no different to owner occupiers, it's not a significant expense to get a charger put in, about the same as any other appliance.

Yes it is an excuse offered but I installed my charger in my allocated space. I own the apartment and the space comes with it. When we rented we used a granny cable, but that was because we were leaving soon. If you want to install a charger at a rented house you need the LL consent. But you can take the unit with you when you leave.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You'll surely forgive my indulgences on day 1 of ownership to be fair :D

Considering how quickly you seem to get bored of cars that's an eternity already :pac:

I've a feeling you'll hold on to this one a bit longer than the last few though :)

Lumen wrote: »

Ehm no. It's not anywhere as easy as buying a fridge and simply plugging it. You have to dig in the ground to install a pedestal on dedicated parking place for ffs. RFID 7kW charger is significantly more expensive than without RFID.

It has legal implications, you have to involve owner of the land and/or the property, then there may be health and safety issues, arguing with the management company (if the estate is managed) etc. In a rented house you can't do it without the permission of the landlord. And why would you install it in place you don't own? What will you do when you move? Etc etc.

Yes it is an excuse offered but I installed my charger in my allocated space. I own the apartment and the space comes with it. When we rented we used a granny cable, but that was because we were leaving soon. If you want to install a charger at a rented house you need the LL consent. But you can take the unit with you when you leave.
    Just one example of yours doesn't mean it's common and easy. It's not, involves serious hassle.

How do you use granny from a 1st floor apartment? You can't.

How do you install 3pin/charger on a apt with no allocated parking space? You can't.

What's the cost of digging out the pedestal charger, transporting it and installing it at another place? Few grand my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

McGiver wrote: »
    Just one example of yours doesn't mean it's common and easy. It's not, involves serious hassle.

How do you install 3pin/charger on a apt with no allocated parking space? You can't.

What's the cost of digging out the pedestal charger, transporting it and installing it at another place? Few grand my guess.

One solution is that the communal parking get a bank of chargers installed by a 3rd party provider who offer it as a service and you pay them for it, not via your meter.

Still hassle to get a suitable provider, get building management to agree and enough critical mass in the complex to make it viable.

My guess is that apartment dwellers will be the last to be solved.

Any new apartments should have it in from the get go though.

One solution is that the communal parking get a bank of chargers installed by a 3rd party provider who offer it as a service and you pay them for it, not via your meter.

Still hassle to get a suitable provider, get building management to agree and enough critical mass in the complex to make it viable.

That's a good idea but it's hard to organise unless there are sufficient numbers in the area, but how do you know?

Legislation needed to enable streamlined solution for this in existing estates.
    Think new estates have it mandated? If the legislation mandates 1 charger everywhere then it's wrong anyway... It is should factor in growth and allow for easy expansion and be based on estate size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That's a good idea but it's hard to organise unless there are sufficient numbers in the area, but how do you know?

Legislation needed to enable streamlined solution for this in existing estates.
    Think new estates have it mandated? If the legislation mandates 1 charger everywhere then it's wrong anyway... It is should factor in growth and allow for easy expansion and be based on estate size.

The new regulations (not sure if they are in law yet or not) is that any new buildings will at least have ducting in place, which is the main problem with retrofitting charge points as you have to dig up tarmac and footpaths etc. That really increases cost and disruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

ESB finally got back to me, my account is enabled now.

I signed up this morning and am still waiting on my activation email. Is this delay normal?

I tried to re-register just now and it won't let me use the same email address but neither will it allow me access by initial registration. Caught between a rock and a hard place if I done get that email!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ehm no. It's not anywhere as easy as buying a fridge and simply plugging it. You have to dig in the ground to install a pedestal on dedicated parking place for ffs. RFID 7kW charger is significantly more expensive than without RFID.

It has legal implications, you have to involve owner of the land and/or the property, then there may be health and safety issues, arguing with the management company (if the estate is managed) etc. In a rented house you can't do it without the permission of the landlord. And why would you install it in place you don't own? What will you do when you move? Etc etc.

While its not as easy as a typical house, its also not as complicated as you make out. Ive seen them fixed to concrete colums with the cable ran vertically up and across the soffit of the basement roof (protected in metal trunking) and then into the CU of the apartment or meter box in the basement of that apartment. You can get chargers with keys on them and they don't have to be 7kw chargers, 3.6kw chargers are fine.

Tenants can remove the chargers when moving and replace with an external socket. This removes the exposed wiring. One example. Assuming the charger wasn't got on a grant as that's linked to the MPRN so the LL or any future owner cannot avail of the grant in the future.

many apartment development sin the city are now running the cable required for charging to a common space in the basement car park or car parking area.

This is being done in conjunction with developers and the ESB. While there's no current planning requirement (It should be soon), the ESB have a standard that the developer runs the cable provisions in.

At some later stage then, the management company arrange for a third party supplier to install and maintain. Obviously there has to be some need so the more owners that request it, the better.

The third party provide the access to residents and they are billed either through a membership and card registration or similar.

On other big sites, The Swiss Cottage for example in Santry, they have 112 Apartments under construction currently. They only have 25 basement car spaces and hundreds of bicycle parking slots. They are moving away from car parking provisions. But, they do have 4 spaces for group sharing (GoCar or Similar) provided for on site.

I didn't check if EV charging was being put in, but ill check the next time im on site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

creedp wrote: »
    I signed up this morning and am still waiting on my activation email. Is this delay normal?

I tried to re-register just now and it won't let me use the same email address but neither will it allow me access by initial registration. Caught between a rock and a hard place if I done get that email!

Was it a Hotmail address? Mine was, I've had problems before using it to sign up to things. Some mail servers just can't handle them for some reason.

You'll have to mail them and tell them your activation mail never arrived and you need to have the account enabled, took a few days for them to get back to me but they did it eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Was it a Hotmail address? Mine was, I've had problems before using it to sign up to things. Some mail servers just can't handle them for some reason.

You'll have to mail them and tell them your activation mail never arrived and you need to have the account enabled, took a few days for them to get back to me but they did it eventually.

Yes it was but as I already get regular ecar updates to that email address without issue it difficult to understand [for an IT luddite like me!!] why its a problem in this case.

Pity that you can't go back and revise your details. Thanks for info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Anyone any info on the eCard app? I stupidly downloaded the latest app and it's rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

I was just about to sign up to the prepaid account for ECars.

One thing I couldn't figure out was if the initial 20EUR deposit would gradually drip down over time (like other 'prepaid' service models)?

more reluctant to sign up until I actually might need to service if thats the case.

Otherwise I'd sign up now to have the card as a just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

daheff wrote: »
    I was just about to sign up to the prepaid account for ECars.

One thing I couldn't figure out was if the initial 20EUR deposit would gradually drip down over time (like other 'prepaid' service models)?

more reluctant to sign up until I actually might need to service if thats the case.

Otherwise I'd sign up now to have the card as a just in case.

I signed up for the monthly subscription one I was told by ecars I can move to a prepaid account after the 12 months is up as I wouldn't use the network enough to justify the monthly subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

sorry if this has been answered before

I know ecars will start charging for FAST public charging network in Ireland (43kW-50kW) from Monday 18th of November.

I have the card allowing me to public charge

Do I have to do anything if I want to continue to SLOW charge ?

Don't want to find out I have to activate something Monday morning even though it continues to be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭D Dastardly

I have a related question... where is the new ecars app to allow PAYG charging, 4 days to go and still no app?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

I have a related question... where is the new ecars app to allow PAYG charging, 4 days to go and still no app?

It’s coming soon so I’d be fairly confident it will be out before November 18th 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭D Dastardly

At least they are making the transition as straightforward and painless as possible ;-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

celtic_oz wrote: »
    sorry if this has been answered before

I know ecars will start charging for FAST public charging network in Ireland (43kW-50kW) from Monday 18th of November.

I have the card allowing me to public charge

Do I have to do anything if I want to continue to SLOW charge ?

Don't want to find out I have to activate something Monday morning even though it continues to be free.

Today they've sent another reminder. it says
    " For those who haven’t signed up, please do so via www.esb.ie/ecars. From Monday 18th November you will only be able to use the fast chargers if you have signed up.
    "

I believe you're safe for the SCP. But I would sign up on the new system anyway. It does not cost you anything for the first 12 month. What if you need to use a FCP once during this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mupchease wrote: »
    It’s coming soon so I’d be fairly confident it will be out before November 18th 2022

It's ESB eCars so I'd be fairly confident that it won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

innrain wrote: »
    I believe you're safe for the SCP. But I would sign up on the new system anyway. It does not cost you anything for the first 12 month. What if you need to use a FCP once during this time?

My car wont take FCP.

I cant believe this is not known for definite.. if the slow ones will continue to work if you dont sign up

My car wont take FCP.

I cant believe this is not known for definite.. if the slow ones will continue to work if you dont sign up

As far as I remember, the free ones will still work even if you don't sign up.

Do you depend that heavily on the slow chargers? Sounds like good reason to add fees to the SCP :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My car wont take FCP.

This is probably the most relevant bit
    Will my existing Northern Ireland (ecarNI) charge point access card work?
    Your existing charge point access card will continue to work on the AC charge points in Ireland, as well as on the AC and rapid units in Northern Ireland. However you will need to sign up via the ESB ecar connect app or via the ESB ecars website to use the fast charger network in Ireland.

So sounds like an unregistered eCars card should be ok on the AC network

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

Is it just me that does not really understand how to use the ESB rapid chargers from Monday 18th Nov onwards?

I was already registered with an 'old card' which worked fine. I re-registered on the ESB website last week and entered the number for my old card, got a confirmation email, replied to it (no answer), but see from the ESB website that my account is set up, complete with my debit card info. I even see that charges that I made in the last month or two are recorded under my account, with zero cost. So far so good.

Now - my questions - to ESB or to any Board participant that knows, or thinks they know, any of the answers -

a) Is there any physical change to the charger hardware being installed? That is, when I go across to my nearest fast charger, on the N2 North outside of Monaghan town, will I notice anything different there at all? My presumption is NO.

b) When I go to that charger today, I place my 'old card' over the reader, and the machine instructs me to proceed, I can leave my car there for as long as I feel like- if I had no care for other users, (although the connector automatically disconnects when car almost completely charged). When I go to that same charger on Monday 18th, what happens? will I notice anything different? or do I just scan my same 'old ESB card' wait until told to connect, connect up and the car starts charging. And, when I log in to my ESB account some time later, I will see that I have been charged so much for so many kWh used at that charger. Is that the way it will work? If that is correct, why do ESB eCars not make that clear, or have they and I have just missed seeing it?

c) related to the above I suppose, but if the answer to the above is YES, that is the way it will work, then I assume that I DO NOT NEED to travel with my DEBIT card or show it to the machine when I need a charge - the only card I will need is the same old trusty ESB card that I was issued with over a year ago? If this is the case, I wonder why ESB have chosen to base their charging system on debit cards rather than storing bank details? Also, I registered my wife's debit card on my account as well as my own, my own is listed as 'default' or something - so I assume that my card will be charged whenever the ESB charge card is read, and my wife's car will only be charged if I change the 'default' online. And what happens if my debit card has insufficient funds to pay for the charge? will the charge be refused? or will an attempt be made to charge the 'secondary' card that I have registered?

c) What about the 'overstay' charge, is that also being implemented on Monday 18th Nov? So, if I leave my car at that same Monaghan charger on Monday for say 90 minutes, will I find that there is an additional overstay charge debited to my account?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is there any physical change to the charger hardware being installed?
    Don't think so. Probably just changes to the firmware on the device. The AC units are being updated though - swapped out for different models.
    b) When I go to that charger today, I place my 'old card' over the reader, and the machine instructs me to proceed, I can leave my car there for as long as I feel like- if I had no care for other users, (although the connector automatically disconnects when car almost completely charged). When I go to that same charger on Monday 18th, what happens? will I notice anything different? or do I just scan my same 'old ESB card' wait until told to connect, connect up and the car starts charging. And, when I log in to my ESB account some time later, I will see that I have been charged so much for so many kWh used at that charger. Is that the way it will work? If that is correct, why do ESB eCars not make that clear, or have they and I have just missed seeing it?
    Same process. Use your membership card to start and stop the charge session. I imagine it will work that way - check online (or the app, whenever it finally arrives) to check usage for a particular session; presumably along with the associated cost. They have a video showing how to charge. It didn't seem to highlight any changes.
    c) related to the above I suppose, but if the answer to the above is YES, that is the way it will work, then I assume that I DO NOT NEED to travel with my DEBIT card or show it to the machine when I need a charge - the only card I will need is the same old trusty ESB card that I was issued with over a year ago? If this is the case, I wonder why ESB have chosen to base their charging system on debit cards rather than storing bank details? Also, I registered my wife's debit card on my account as well as my own, my own is listed as 'default' or something - so I assume that my card will be charged whenever the ESB charge card is read, and my wife's car will only be charged if I change the 'default' online. And what happens if my debit card has insufficient funds to pay for the charge? will the charge be refused? or will an attempt be made to charge the 'secondary' card that I have registered?
    Just keep using your ESB eCars card - no using bank cards at the machine (at least for launch - it would be nice for very casual users). You can also use the website or app (again, when it finally arrives on all platforms). I'd rather tie it to a card rather than a bank account but that's just me - I'm sure there's a good reason they've made this decision: security implications or obligations, costs, etc. Regarding payment, if you read the T&Cs, you'll see they reserve the right to stop you using the service and pass your details onto debt collectors if you don't settle your account. Also, if makes sense that all changes default to the one card registered to the account. Really, a lot of your questions come down to the system implementation - and we have no detailed insight into that right now.
    c) What about the 'overstay' charge, is that also being implemented on Monday 18th Nov? So, if I leave my car at that same Monaghan charger on Monday for say 90 minutes, will I find that there is an additional overstay charge debited to my account?.

It should come into effect then, yes. And don't try to circumvent it either by stopping before the max time and starting another session as that is also prohibited as per the T&Cs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

So using any RFID has worked in the past, was this resolved or will it just not work anymore from Monday?

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    So using any RFID has worked in the past, was this resolved or will it just not work anymore from Monday?

I think you will find that 'any RFID card' will not even work today, at least on the fast chargers, perhaps on all the chargers. I think that ESB did something a month or two ago so that the chargers now actually do need a proper ESB card to work. I say this because my new online ESB e-cars account has a record of my charging activity over the last two months. No way they could have got that information without reading my ESB issued RFID card and relating it back to the info I gave them at sign up. So, the good old days of just using a discarded hotel key card to get a free charger are over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I say this because my new online ESB e-cars account has a record of my charging activity over the last two months.

How did you see this information? When I go into https://myaccount.esbecars.com and access Profile > Charge History, there's nothing listed for the period (which is set to all of 2019).

In fairness, the last time I used a public charger was 28 October, but if they started gathering the information two months ago, as your data seems to suggest, some public charger use should show in my record.

Maybe I have a "stealth card" and will be able to charge for free! :D

Is it just me that does not really understand how to use the ESB rapid chargers from Monday 18th Nov onwards?

Sounds like you've a pretty decent idea about how to use rapid chargers from Monday 18th.

Only you mentioned it I wouldn't of known there was/is a charging history in your online account. Neat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

ive a possible dumb question.

in work we have ecars 7kw points, activated by the ecard card.

are they going to be charged, no one in works seems to know, and our rep hasn't gotten back to us on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No. For the moment it is only fast charge points that will be charged. There is no date set yet for when slow charge points will be charged. Maybe sometime next year. You will get plenty of notice on this forum when that happens :)

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    How did you see this information? When I go into https://myaccount.esbecars.com and access Profile > Charge History, there's nothing listed for the period (which is set to all of 2019).

In fairness, the last time I used a public charger was 28 October, but if they started gathering the information two months ago, as your data seems to suggest, some public charger use should show in my record.

Maybe I have a "stealth card" and will be able to charge for free! :D

Earliest charge I have on mine is 2nd Nov. Tis nice detail in it. Time, location, duration, connector used, kWh used and cost. Includes the slow chargers too.

Gives a nice summary up the top. Total kWh, Total time and total cost.

I just checked again, yes, the info that I got is from PROFILE -> CHARGE HISTORY. I have three entries on my charge history, the first is actually from 31st October, and it is labelled 'type 2' - which seems to mean the AC slow charger. So we may both be correct, and that they only started recording charge history linked to our accounts after 28th October but before the 31st October. I have two more entries appearing on 9th November, both for using the CHAdeMO fast charger in Blanchardstown. My 2 conclusions remain the same 1) any random RFID card will no longer work on EITHER the slow AC or the fast chargers now and 2) registered users should be able to see a complete charge history, for both paid for and for free charges on AC, from 31st October 2019 onwards.

Just looked again at the new ecars charging map online, which will perhaps be what will appear on the App when it is finally released. Is it just me again, or have others noticed?. On the new map, with complex colour coding, I found it impossible to quickly determine where the fast chargers were compared to all chargers. It is only when you click on a selected charger that you learn what it's capacity is. This seems to me to be a backward step. On the old ecar connect, map, which I still have on my ipad, the single most useful thing for me is to see the location of the CHAdeMO DC 50kW chargers in clear blue colour and the rest of the Type-2 AC Socket 22kW chargers in a clear green colour. If others agree that this functionality has been lost on the new map which is online, perhaps there is a way to communicate this to eCars before they finalise the app? Or is this possibly a deliberate move to 'hide' the location of the fast chargers for some reason?

Just looked again at the new ecars charging map online, which will perhaps be what will appear on the App when it is finally released. Is it just me again, or have others noticed?. On the new map, with complex colour coding, I found it impossible to quickly determine where the fast chargers were compared to all chargers. It is only when you click on a selected charger that you learn what it's capacity is. This seems to me to be a backward step. On the old ecar connect, map, which I still have on my ipad, the single most useful thing for me is to see the location of the CHAdeMO DC 50kW chargers in clear blue colour and the rest of the Type-2 AC Socket 22kW chargers in a clear green colour. If others agree that this functionality has been lost on the new map which is online, perhaps there is a way to communicate this to eCars before they finalise the app? Or is this possibly a deliberate move to 'hide' the location of the fast chargers for some reason?

Use the filter. In the search bar, on the right. The colour coding is now used to denote charger state, rather than type.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Use the filter. In the search bar, on the right. The colour coding is now used to denote charger state, rather than type.

That's probably something that CCS users are more used to, on the old map we always had to switch as it showed CHAdeMO by default.

liamog wrote: »
    That's probably something that CCS users are more used to, on the old map we always had to switch as it showed CHAdeMO by default.

Viva la revolution!

Thanks, obvious once you know! I have never seen an icon showing a funnel as the toggle for showing the FILTER to select different types of charger, but remember my chemistry days now, filter funnel!

With reference to my earlier questions about how exactly to start a charge on a fast charger as from next Monday, my confusion was increased by the bold statement on the online map - CONNECT CHARGE CABLE, SWIPE TO CHARGE? Swipe what I am thinking, my debit card, my ESB card, swipe it where? But the video makes it clear, you are supposed to swipe across the 'app' on your smartphone to start the charge - very good - but it does not look like the app will be available by Monday, so in the meantime, use the old charge card, tap on the machine as before. Now I get it, I think!

Thanks, obvious once you know! I have never seen an icon showing a funnel as the toggle for showing the FILTER to select different types of charger, but remember my chemistry days now, filter funnel!

With reference to my earlier questions about how exactly to start a charge on a fast charger as from next Monday, my confusion was increased by the bold statement on the online map - CONNECT CHARGE CABLE, SWIPE TO CHARGE? Swipe what I am thinking, my debit card, my ESB card, swipe it where? But the video makes it clear, you are supposed to swipe across the 'app' on your smartphone to start the charge - very good - but it does not look like the app will be available by Monday, so in the meantime, use the old charge card, tap on the machine as before. Now I get it, I think!

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you're not trolling, but the "swipe" refers to the big "CONNECT & SWIPE TO START" slider they implemented.

7846e433d85c80a1f8ecc8cbce27de41.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

When i check my charging history on the ecars website it only list 3 times i've used public charging. I've used it about 10 times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

charlieIRL wrote: »
    When i check my charging history on the ecars website it only list 3 times i've used public charging. I've used it about 10 times!!

It shows only once for myself since I registered the card for the new payments. Did you do all 10 while registered ?

Just a heads up for others it would be no harm getting the Bosch app. I had to use it a few days ago at a charger that the rfid card wasn’t working on. After 16 minutes waiting for ecars to answer the phone I gave up and used the app.

• Advertisement
Advertisement