Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB eCars pricing introduction

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Had to test the account was set up correctly today before handing the RFID card back to the Mrs. I was able to start the charge via RFID, and finish it by the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

KCross wrote: »
    That would mean mandating the app and no RFID cards.

RFID card and app (website) are already linked. Start with RFID, get notified on app. Many cars have apps too that can notify when charge completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

zg3409 wrote: »
    RFID card and app (website) are already linked. Start with RFID, get notified on app. Many cars have apps too that can notify when charge completed.

What I mean is that you may not be an app user at all. You use the RFID card only. They cant really mandate app use.

I believe EU law is also going to mandate PAYG options using debit cards for the likes of tourists (i.e. no app).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Has someone actually paid for charge today?

September1 wrote: »

Yes. See the Ioniq thread for my fun and games

• Advertisement

Yes. See the Ioniq thread for my fun and games

Did they took money from your card immediately or is it still pending?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I spent €1.63 on 5.6kWh charge whilst grabbing a Starbucks. Had to make sure I knew how the system worked for when I'm away and the Mrs is stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

zg3409 wrote:
    Waterford FCP had 2 cars trying to start a charge this morning with non working RFID reader and phone line was so busy it would not even ring... Other Facebook users suggested starting charger using website, so beware when card readers are down you need to use website. Its a pity old app could not have pushed notifications to warn people of the changes and expected problems. Fees seemed to have been applied at 10am, with call centre flooded.
    You can use the Bosch app to start/stop the chargers. Assume they'll send nonzero invoice now. Until now they would send a zero invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

KCross wrote:
    That would mean mandating the app and no RFID cards.

Not really. You want to avoid the overstay fee? Use the app. Simples.

https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/drivers-unable-to-register-for-esb-ecars-charging-system-1.4087176?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&mode=amp#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fdrivers-unable-to-register-for-esb-ecars-charging-system-1.4087176%3Fmode%3Damp%23amp_tf%3DFrom%2520%25251%2524s
    In all, “well over 4,000” people had signed up, he said. He estimated that in all there has been more than 7,000 cards issued.

So 50% of those issued cards have NOT signed up!!? No wonder phone line busy. I am surprised they never posted a letter to each person who was posted a card to tell them to sign up. I know plenty of drivers with no smartphone, no email. I could not see on the charger itself a way to pay once off.

From esb
    Pay As You Go: Make a once off transaction at any ESB fast charge point or via the ecar connect app
    Has anyone managed to find a way to make a once off payment. The charger only said "present card" so I attempted to swipe a credit card, but charger immediately said unauthorised or similar. Is this feature of not signing up and rocking up to a charger with bank or credit card available now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

From esb

Has anyone managed to find a way to make a once off payment. The charger only said "present card" so I attempted to swipe a credit card, but charger immediately said unauthorised or similar. Is this feature of not signing up and rocking up to a charger with bank or credit card available now?

Not sure if it's the same thing, but with ESB in the UK you can find the charger on the map, click on the connector you want and then my phone tells me to swipe to charge, once I swipe it asks for payment details and then lets me start a charge. The maps seems to be the same in ROI so I'd say it will be the same system.

Not sure if it's the same thing, but with ESB in the UK you can find the charger on the map, click on the connector you want and then my phone tells me to swipe to charge, once I swipe it asks for payment details and then lets me start a charge. The maps seems to be the same in ROI so I'd say it will be the same system.

I see that is possible if not logged in.
    Pay As You Go: Make a once off transaction at any ESB fast charge point or via the ecar connect app

I think this is what they mean by app/website, but the or at any fast charge point has me wondering if you should be able to rock up and pay with no phone needed once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I see that is possible if not logged in.

I think this is what they mean by app/website, but the or at any fast charge point has me wondering if you should be able to rock up and pay with no phone needed once off.

Whats the story with the app?
    I just signed up on the eCars site, but the old app is just the map?
    I downloaded the Driivz, and it won't accept the creds I registered with on ecars? Have I done something silly?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jusmeig wrote: »
    Whats the story with the app?
    I just signed up on the eCars site, but the old app is just the map?
    I downloaded the Driivz, and it won't accept the creds I registered with on ecars? Have I done something silly?

App not available yet but you can use the browser version for now: https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Mickeroo wrote: »
    App not available yet but you can use the browser version for now: https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger

Were people not saying use the app rather than card? They mean the web app then?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jusmeig wrote: »
    Were people not saying use the app rather than card? They mean the web app then?

Yes I believe so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

So the EV Plug In app I downloaded this morning is not the right one, is it? I still have ecars connect as well, was waiting for an update to that.

miamee wrote: »
    So the EV Plug In app I downloaded this morning is not the right one, is it? I still have ecars connect as well, was waiting for an update to that.

Basically you go to https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger in your phone browser and you can start charge there.

EV Plug In is their UK app I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

EV Plug In is for UK only. Ecars connect is the one that will be used for ROI when they release it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

EV Plug In is their UK app I think.
    EV Plug In is for UK only. Ecars connect is the one that will be used for ROI when they release it.

Cheers, thanks.

Basically you go to https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger in your phone browser and you can start charge there.

Thanks, I've bookmarked that for future use :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So i was just looking online and I see in my last "yay it's the last of the free juice" I took on 34kWh in just over 40 minutes.

On the 29c scheme that will now cost €9.86 and on the future 33c scheme will cost €11.22.
    That 34kWh will probably get me 150 km.

Interesting, can't see me using these all too often when Ionity is cheaper and Tesla is faster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

How much would Tesla charge for that top up? (or did you get a free supercharging S?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

ELM327 wrote: »
    That 34kWh will probably get me 150 km......

is that a typo or accurate?

slave1 wrote: »
    How much would Tesla charge for that top up? (or did you get a free supercharging S?)

Tesla is 29c/kWh too but at up to 3 times faster.
    I didnt get free SC with the car but I don't figure I'll use it more than 1-2 times a year anyway so not a big issue

is that a typo or accurate?
    No, that's accurate.
    To be exact, 34kWh at 220wh/km gives 154km.

On the 29c scheme ...
    Tesla is 29c/kWh too....

Well isn't that a bit of a coincidence, probably pointed out earlier in the thread and I missed it

You know, I'm not sure it was.
    But 29c/kWh at 145kW peak is a better deal than 29c/kWh at 45kW peak

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Can't believe my eyes. Outlander charging on chademo, leaf charging on AC, and a leaf waiting. How frustrating!

IMG-20191119-165006.jpg

• Advertisement

War EV charging never changes :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Wasn't sure where to post this but the crappy old charge point in the Tanyard in Tullamore has been replaced with a new unit. Old one had only one side working for months but thankfully both are working now.

495641.jpg

War EV charging never changes :pac:

Id be too embarrassed to charge with a queue like that. What's the Outlander got, a 11kWh battery? Charging at a max of 12kW/h ? To get 35-40km range. So charging is costing them 1.80+ an hour to charge. Petrol would maybe use 2.5ltrs to cover that 40km, costing under 4 euro. So they either value the environment a whole lot, or they value their time at €2.20/hour. I'm not overly familiar with the Outlander so my figures may be off.

/Rant (and I was only passing by the charger, not actually needing to charge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

The battery never really goes below 30 % of 12 kW, newer models have closer to 14 kW.
    From my experience he will get about 6 kWh to 80% into the outlander in 25 minutes, another 25 minutes to 95 %.
    Saving/costs are about right, 3.8 euro for fuel and around 2 for charging.

Can't believe my eyes. Outlander charging on chademo, leaf charging on AC, and a leaf waiting. How frustrating!

IMG-20191119-165006.jpg
    at least 2 morons in that photo... I thought paid charging would fix this!
    They (esb) should end the sessions if you are drawing below 20kW

at least 2 morons in that photo... I thought paid charging would fix this!
    They (esb) should end the sessions if you are drawing below 20kW

2? I get the Outlander being a moron, but are you saying the Leaf 40 is a moron too, for using the AC? God knows how long the outlander will be there, may as well get some charge in while waiting.

• Advertisement

2? I get the Outlander being a moron, but are you saying the Leaf 40 is a moron too, for using the AC? God knows how long the outlander will be there, may as well get some charge in while waiting.

Why is the outlander a moron? In my opinion he is the smart guy, if there was a tesla,leaf and niro all wanting to charge, he could drive on, the other 3 will still be waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Why is the outlander a moron? In my opinion he is the smart guy, if there was a tesla,leaf and niro all wanting to charge, he could drive on, the other 3 will still be waiting.

Why is he even charging at all?

30c a kWh, that tank of a yoke will do 25kWh/100km+ in this weather

Hes saving cents and wasting his time, use his big engine

Don't get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mike9832 wrote: »

Don't get it

might be more concerned about his emissions

If you're interested about your emissions you should not be driving a SUV with two redundant drive trains.

Is your opinion that he's the "smart guy" based on anything?

I find a person values their time at ~€2.20 an hour to be moronic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

ted1 wrote: »
    might be more concerned about his emissions

Few cents more like

So pricing hasn't been the panacea, surprise surprise.

Pricing introduction is not the answer, more multi chargers are, we're not going to see any charging habits change, the demand for more chargers is now here and that is the solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Pricing introduction is not the answer, more multi chargers are, we're not going to see any charging habits change, the demand for more chargers is now here and that is the solution

I don't know about that, anecdotal evidence here, but for the last 2 evenings on the way home, the fast charger at Newlands Cross has been free, while for the last few weeks before that there has been 1, 2 or 3 EVs charging/waiting to charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It seems to be working, if you look at the chargepoint map. I've been randomly checking and there are definitely more chargers available than before fees to charge started.

It will take a little while for the current pricing to sink in.
    I suspect there will be so some who avoided installing home chargers who will now be incentivised to purchase one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't know about that, anecdotal evidence here, but for the last 2 evenings on the way home, the fast charger at Newlands Cross has been free, while for the last few weeks before that there has been 1, 2 or 3 EVs charging/waiting to charge.

Same at the Lucan charger, until this week the busiest ESB fast charger in the country. Mostly unoccupied the 10 or so times I have passed it over the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think declaring pricing a failure only a couple of days after it was introduced is a bit of an over-reaction.

Not everyone will have figured out that they are being charged now. In fact, I'm willing to bet a small number of people with ESB cards haven't realised that their cards no longer work, but don't really know how the charging machines work, and just plug in their cars and hope for the best.

Mike9832 wrote: »

Don't get it

His cents and his time, around 21.5 kWh. Its not yours to get.

Is your opinion that he's the "smart guy" based on anything?

I find a person values their time at ~€2.20 an hour to be moronic.

What are you driving?

Yesterday I done 80 km on electric, I sat in a car and charging, should I be a moron and sit in the car not charging?

I value my time and I value my money, if I have the time I charge, if I don't have the time I don't.

Moronic is stuck at a charger waiting on another to finish charging, why would you give yourself only one option?

you do not have to blame locals or freeloaders any more, it was your choice to be stuck at a charger, because of the car you bought,

i have done 3500 km on 36 liters of petrol = 280 mpg or something like it.

I find it moronic that your attempt to save money leads you to call others moronic that don't have to wait as you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yesterday I done 80 km on electric, I sat in a car and charging, should I be a moron and sit in the car not charging?

ikanseeyou.... kanuseeme... :)
    IMG-20191119-165006.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement