Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to refresh CV

• 01-10-2019 12:00pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need to spruce up my CV - I haven't applied for a job in two decades but am currently exploring options.

I'm not worried about the content but I'm afraid that the look of it might be a bit stale when I compare it to some of the examples I'm seeing online.

The roles are for senior management positions. Can anyone link some good examples/templates?

Comments

I'd suggest typing up on Word. Save to PDF if emailing. Try and make as specific to each job as possible. Format
    >

Personal details (can leave out DOB if you want)

Education

Work experience - Under work experience go from latest/current backwards. Give a little detail about the company.

List responsibilities and separately (under a different heading) list your accomplishments in the role. Try and match these to the job spec.

Hobbies.

Sub headings under Work experience for each role Company Name Title

You can use coloured paper, photos, different fonts (definite no no imho) etc. But, to no benefit. Make sure it is spell checked, and watch your grammar.

CV's are read in less than a minute, and you look to disregard rather than qualify for selection. Keep it simple unless you're going for a Graphic Designer type role. Those, from what I've seen, are usually one pagers and have links and look creative :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd suggest typing up on Word. Save to PDF if emailing. Try and make as specific to each job as possible. Format
    >

Education

Work experience - Under work experience go from latest/current backwards. Give a little detail about the company.

List responsibilities and separately (under a different heading) list your accomplishments in the role. Try and match these to the job spec.

Hobbies.

You can use coloured paper, photos, different fonts (definite no no imho) etc. But, to no benefit. Make sure it is spell checked, and watch your grammar.

CV's are read in less than a minute, and you look to disregard rather than qualify for selection. Keep it simple unless you're going for a Graphic Designer type role. Those, from what I've seen, are usually one pagers and have links and look creative :)

Yeah, mine would be a classic two pages and looks straight forward.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yeah, mine would be a classic two pages and looks straight forward.

On a CV, the far and away most important bits (assuming you have the basics looked for when applying for the job) would be relevant industry experience. If they are in the lollipop making industry and you've got that, you're miles ahead of the other guy/gal. And responsibilities.

What really makes you stand out and not only called for interview, but one of the pre favourite interviewees is the personal achievements. Try and avoid 'we', but 'I' in this section ... and the inevitable interview :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No if you want about it, DOB is not a requirement for them to know if you can do the job or not. Don’t be giving any info that’s not relevant.

Personal details is; 1. Name 2. Contact email 3. Contact phone. Everything else is not relevant.

No if you want about it, DOB is not a requirement for them to know if you can do the job or not. Don’t be giving any info that’s not relevant.

Believe it or not age can be of benefit, especially for senior management roles. Besides, EVERYONE looks to your LC or first college experience to guesstimate.

And finally, if they really dont want a 50/60 or 20 year old do you really want to go to an interview you've no hope of being considered for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

>

Education

Hobbies.

Put work experience before education.

Remove hobbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Believe it or not age can be of benefit, especially for senior management roles. Besides, EVERYONE looks to your LC or first college experience to guesstimate.

And finally, if they really dont want a 50/60 or 20 year old do you really want to go to an interview you've no hope of being considered for?

If you're going for senior management roles Leaving Cert will be so far away from being put on your CV that it'll be in another continent.

Work Experience is way more important than your results in a memory test you took over 20 years ago.

Yes they can deduce your approximate age from your first job out of college etc. but why hand over irrelevant info? If they're going to be ageist you're not going to stop them anyways as you alluded to. Every character you place on your CV should be carefully considered in the mind of "Does the person need to actually read this? Or am I wasting their time?" DOB wastes their time.

They're not going to call you for an interview if you aren't being considered. and even in a parallel universe if they do, it'll be good interview experience for the OP as they've mentioned specifically they haven't interviewed in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Keep it brief

- No colour paper or stupid fonts
    - Education- no need for LC results. Just briefly mention the school and year and other third level- no need to get into results.
    - Hobbies- nobody gives a **** if you like reading or cooking.
    - Experience/Companies is all that matters.

Direct, short and to the point is critical. The people reading it are not idiots and can ascertain from your roles if you are suitable.

You are not an 18 yr school girl looking for work experience.

Or am I wasting their time?" DOB wastes their time.

I think we can agree to disagree on this. It saves the fannying around working it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I think we can agree to disagree on this. It saves the fannying around working it out.

Why would they be "fannying around" working your date of birth out? None of their business when your date of birth is. Nor what suburb you live in, marital state etc etc.

Never add any personal details to a CV that could prejudice a prospective employer, which the latter should not do in any case.

Keep it to location (to denote proximity to role eg. Dublin), name and contact number, driving licenece holder (if applicable).

Anything beyond that is not required and should not form criteria in choosing an applicant nor applying for a role.

Lastly, put your CV in Word format. PDF is not as widely readable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Are hobbies really necessary or just padding?

rgmmg wrote: »
    Why would they be "fannying around" working your date of birth out?

Have you interviewed many candidates? Are you seriously saying you've not wondered about the age of a candidate.

Yes, it's one of those you cannot discriminate against. And yet, you'd want to be seriously deluded if you don't think it's a factor. Sometimes for the good, sometimes not.

El_Bee wrote: »
    Are hobbies really necessary or just padding?

Mostly padding, however, sometimes they can make you stand out if there's something outstanding. If you left it out most probably wouldn't notice... Some might, so best to include.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Have you interviewed many candidates? Are you seriously saying you've not wondered about the age of a candidate.

Yes, it's one of those you cannot discriminate against. And yet, you'd want to be seriously deluded if you don't think it's a factor. Sometimes for the good, sometimes not.

Plenty thanks - maybe I am seriously deluded :rolleyes:

There are far more reasons NOT to include a date of birth. I am sure you can tap into your superior experience to acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sura28

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I need to spruce up my CV - I haven't applied for a job in two decades but am currently exploring options.

I'm not worried about the content but I'm afraid that the look of it might be a bit stale when I compare it to some of the examples I'm seeing online.

The roles are for senior management positions. Can anyone link some good examples/templates?[/

Hi
    I work in recruitment. If you want to send me your CV I can have a look at it and give you some advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

rgmmg wrote: »
    Plenty thanks - maybe I am seriously deluded :rolleyes:

There are far more reasons NOT to include a date of birth. I am sure you can tap into your superior experience to acknowledge that.

We generally do not see DOB. It takes all of 2 seconds to work out a ball park age from the year they left secondary school. And yes, it is a factor in our recruitment.

Sometimes speculative cvs from European candidates enclose a passport size picture- we have seen that a good few times.

Sometimes speculative cvs from European candidates enclose a passport size picture- we have seen that a good few times.

Yeah noticed that also. Must be a cultural thing.

Advertisement