Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Town Morning Traffic

Options
  • 01-10-2019 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Is it just me or has the morning traffic ( pre 9am) gotten really busy the last 2 weeks ( ironically after the ploughing) in and around graigcullen to town centre area? Any specific reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its really bad coming in the Kilkenny Road also. I thought that might be linked to Tyndall institute, but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Return of students to college? Usually happens in last two weeks of September

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Roadworks near Netwatch-Cullen Park not helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

The return of the schools has always made Graiguecullen a bottle neck first thing and can be bad at 5 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

Yeah I get that. I just noticed it being extremely busy in the mornings as opposed to...well busy. Especially getting over the bridge and into town. Been doing that run for 4 odd years now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Every kid in school seems to be getting dropped off by parents now i haven't seen it this bad around the town and schools and to make matter worse the parents just part anywhere blocking traffic parking on paths without a care in the world none of seem to know what an indicator is either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Every kid in school seems to be getting dropped off by parents now i haven't seen it this bad around the town and schools and to make matter worse the parents just part anywhere blocking traffic parking on paths without a care in the world none of seem to know what an indicator is either.

I thought after the “climate change “ strikes there’d be a huge change in school commuting patterns and the majority of the little princesses would be now walking or cycling in. Clearly I was being naive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Every person in this thread is as much a problem as the people in front of them, and some of the comments here are just outright sexist and ageist.

Stop driving your own car, then you can start moaning about other ones.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Every person in this thread is as much a problem as the people in front of them, and some of the comments here are just outright sexist and ageist.

Stop driving your own car, then you can start moaning about other ones.

Not especially helpful .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

road_high wrote: »
    I thought after the “climate change “ strikes there’d be a huge change in school commuting patterns and the majority of the little princesses would be now walking or cycling in. Clearly I was being naive

I'd be hard pressed to let my kids walk to school let alone cycle the footpaths and roads are an absolute disgrace in Carlow town and barely encourage either activity. I've cycled with them on occasion and had to give it a rest as I'd have been done for assault with the clowns forcing their way passed you only to sit at a traffic light.

• Advertisement

Not especially helpful .

Neither is attacking children or more exclusively girls for being the cause of traffic.

What would be helpful is more people leaving the car at home. There’s enough adults living in and around town driving everywhere without blaming girls for traffic. The more people who do decide to walk or cycle will make the roads safer for vulnerable children to go to school using their own power.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

they need to complete the ring road from the dolmen across to graiguecullen, theres a lot of traffic coming in from leighlinbridge/kilkenny bagenalstown funnelled up burrin street over the bridge at kennedy avenue its a disaster.

Also poor planning in building houses outside the ring road to the north and west of town is causing a lot of traffic as people need the car to come into town form these estates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

they need to complete the ring road from the dolmen across to graiguecullen, theres a lot of traffic coming in from leighlinbridge/kilkenny bagenalstown funnelled up burrin street over the bridge at kennedy avenue its a disaster.

Also poor planning in building houses outside the ring road to the north and west of town is causing a lot of traffic as people need the car to come into town form these estates

I live in Graiguecullen and the traffic over the old bridge into town definitely appears to be getting heavier, esp heading out towards Kilkenny. I actually find it handier now to head out Milford, and come out at the garden centre.

No they don't.

No they don't.
    What do you suggest instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

passed through Celbridge this morning on my way to a meeting. Amazing to see the amount of kids cycling to school. However they have proper cycle lanes out to schools that are not lines in the road like most of Carlow's one's are. too many areas around some schools (Leo's springs to mind) in Carlow are just too dangerous for cycling in the school rush hours

The amount of kids cycling on paths while using phones and looking at screens blows mind especially those coming in from the new tec which really should have a proper bike pathout to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

The amount of kids cycling on paths while using phones and looking at screens blows mind especially those coming in from the new tec which really should have a proper bike pathout to it.

I was driving the van in the other day just past the new school. 4 chaps flying in the middle of the main road all on their phones. None wearing a helmet either it won't be long till one of them gets killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

passed through Celbridge this morning on my way to a meeting. Amazing to see the amount of kids cycling to school. However they have proper cycle lanes out to schools that are not lines in the road like most of Carlow's one's are. too many areas around some schools (Leo's springs to mind) in Carlow are just too dangerous for cycling in the school rush hours

Leos & the road to the station're a 'mare & I'd add St. Josephs Rd. to that at chucking out time for the kids especially too with Scoil Mhuire gan Smal; a cycle lane wouldn't work on either side as the road's too narra but also so many parent insist on stopping and dropping their kids off as close to door as possible; heaven forbid the little scuts might have to walk from Huntington Court or from St. Dympnas etc.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Leos & the road to the station're a 'mare & I'd add St. Josephs Rd. to that at chucking out time for the kids especially too with Scoil Mhuire gan Smal; a cycle lane wouldn't work on either side as the road's too narra but also so many parent insist on stopping and dropping their kids off as close to door as possible; heaven forbid the little scuts might have to walk from Huntington Court or from St. Dympnas etc.

There's loads of room if you remove the on street parking. There is three lanes on that road, two car lanes going each direction and a lane of on street parking. Remove the parking and remove one direction of traffic flow and you've loads of space for buses and a bi-directional cycle path. Residents don't seem to use the on-street parking, so just get rid of it.

Truth be told, town planners, councillors and those who elect them are just as much to blame as the parents. We've an entirely flat town where everything is in cycling distance and the dominant mode of transport is the car. And it's catered for almost exclusively.

The children themselves are just children, they'll cycle/walk if it's safe.

iano.p wrote: »
    I was driving the van in the other day just past the new school. 4 chaps flying in the middle of the main road all on their phones. None wearing a helmet either it won't be long till one of them gets killed.

That's highly irresponsible but the drivers on their phones have the potential to kill other people. If you want, I can post about that every time it nearly happens to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

I walked up to the train stn a few mornings last week and the town was bumper to bumper with traffic not going anywhere, the air quality in the town must be awful with the exhaust fumes coming off all the cars just sitting there in gridlock.

That's highly irresponsible but the drivers on their phones have the potential to kill other people. If you want, I can post about that every time it nearly happens to me.

I don't condone driving and been on the fone. But If two cars crash at 80kph you have about 95% chance of been ok. If I crashed into a young chap in the middle of the road him on is fone or doing wheelies and no helmet what's his chance of been alive. What's the chance my mental health would be ok living with what happen for the rest of my life for something that wasn't my fault.

I don't condone driving and been on the fone. But If two cars crash at 80kph you have about 95% chance of been ok. .

A 160 kph crash? Definitely not.
    What about the pedestrians or cyclists beside you? Do they not have a right to be alive?

A 160 kph crash? Definitely not. What about the pedestrians or cyclists beside you? Do they not have a right to be alive?

In a modern car yeah you would be well able to walk away from a crash like that. What about the driver of the car knocking a chap down because he is doing something stupid by been in the middle of a national Rd on a push bike. No safety gear on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If I crashed into a young chap in the middle of the road him on is fone or doing wheelies and no helmet what's his chance of been alive. What's the chance my mental health would be ok living with what happen for the rest of my life for something that wasn't my fault.

I see your point here but let us not ignore the fact that the chances of the motorist also being on his phone would be extremely high.

In a modern car yeah you would be well able to walk away from a crash like that. What about the driver of the car knocking a chap down because he is doing something stupid by been in the middle of a national Rd on a push bike. No safety gear on him?

He shouldn’t have been doing something stupid. That’s it. “Safety gear” on a bike does relatively little. And if someone wants to cycle normally on the middle on a national road on a bike, they’ve every right.

Kids will be kids hopefully none of them get themselves killed cycling while using their phones and not looking where they are going.

Advertisement