Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 AO Competition announced

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I had my presentation/interview yesterday for general stream. Did anyone happen to ask when we can expect results?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CS2020

I had my presentation/interview yesterday for general stream. Did anyone happen to ask when we can expect results?

Hi I am just out of mine and they told me the results will out in a week or ten days

ForEsme wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know are the offices for the Dept of Children and Youth Affairs only on Baggot St. or could you end up at some other location? Thanks

I think there is a location at St Johns Road West but as Baggot St is head office, I would imagine it would be most likely there that you would be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭solidasarock

ForEsme wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know are the offices for the Dept of Children and Youth Affairs only on Baggot St. or could you end up at some other location? Thanks

They are based in Miesian Plaza Baggot St. Same Building as Dept health.

They do have two or 3 teams in offices around Dublin but 90% of the staff are in Baggot St

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thechaseison

Anyone have any tips for the interview or presentation?

I did the EO interview almost two years ago and there seems to be a fair difference in the descriptions of the competencies even though they are all the same with the exception of people management and leadership potential.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any tips for the interview or presentation?

I did the EO interview almost two years ago and there seems to be a fair difference in the descriptions of the competencies even though they are all the same with the exception of people management and leadership potential.

Hi, I did mine yesterday. You get 45 mins to prep for the presentation and you have 2 sides of an argument. You must decide on which course of action you will take and be able to back it up with the info you have in the documents. I think it was said on here before but my advice is to write down the info as you go. It is essentially role play - you explain your recommendation and you are asked questions on it. It is definitely do-able and you can't prepare until the day.

My only advice for the interview is to know your competencies well and have a back up. Also, be prepared for a question or two on your application form. They will interrupt you but only because of the time parameters so expect that. My experience was that the board was very fair and weren't looking to catch me out. Just know your stuff and you will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Results out from last week’s interviews!

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Goldenkt

Anyone know how many were in batch 1 for the general stream?

I didn't get through unfortunately. I was away by 2 points on A&D. Passed everything else inlc. presentation. Congrats to anyone who passed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

CS2020 wrote: »
    I didn't get through unfortunately. I was away by 2 points on A&D. Passed everything else inlc. presentation. Congrats to anyone who passed!

That's real tough. Strangely enough, I am in the exact same boat: also passed everything...except I was off by two points in A&D. Anyone know, is there any point in appealing? Seems hard to know on what grounds, or unlikely that they made a mistake, but for the sake of two bloody points like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Jbh91

I passed but am in early 30’s for the general stream so doubt I’d be called anytime soon tbh! If anyone has any info on the panels and how many they’re looking at taking I’d really appreciate it!

Jbh91 wrote: »
    I passed but am in early 30’s for the general stream so doubt I’d be called anytime soon tbh! If anyone has any info on the panels and how many they’re looking at taking I’d really appreciate it!

Can I ask on what are you basing your doubt?

A friend of mine who was early 30s in general stream Batch 1 starts next week. It might slow down a bit but you should still be placed in 2-3 months I’d wager.

Hi!

I wasn’t sure it’s my first time in this process and I’ve understood that these processes take quite a long time!

Thanks for your response though!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

elWizard wrote: »
    That's real tough. Strangely enough, I am in the exact same boat: also passed everything...except I was off by two points in A&D. Anyone know, is there any point in appealing? Seems hard to know on what grounds, or unlikely that they made a mistake, but for the sake of two bloody points like...

Also missed out by two points in the interview (in a different category though, leadership). Did reasonably well in the others and much better than I thought in the presentation. Very tight. :(

elWizard wrote: »

I’m thinking the same and wondering whether to appeal. Seems a bit harsh for us to get this far and then just miss out. I don’t think I’d mind so much if I failed two parts! Ah well, as was mentioned below, it must have been tight. Although the CS is always looking for staff so I don’t know...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishgal92

I also missed out by 2 points. In A&D.. noticing a trend here.. I am also wondering if I should appeal this, how do we go about this??

It's a shame to miss out by so little, very frustrating.

It's good to get the experience for the next competition although it is a confidence set-back to a certain extent too.

On another note, did I read someone on one of the many threads that on the payscale, points 4 and 6 are skipped? Is there any reasoning behind this?

I have also noted online that there are higher and normal scales for most positions within the civil service. How does one end up on the higher scale?

These questions are just for my own curiosity. I have also been unsuccessful in this competition but will not let it deter me from the next :)

It's a shame to miss out by so little, very frustrating.

It's good to get the experience for the next competition although it is a confidence set-back to a certain extent too.

On another note, did I read someone on one of the many threads that on the payscale, points 4 and 6 are skipped? Is there any reasoning behind this?

I have also noted online that there are higher and normal scales for most positions within the civil service. How does one end up on the higher scale?

These questions are just for my own curiosity. I have also been unsuccessful in this competition but will not let it deter me from the next :)

If you search for DPER Circular 07/2019 that will explain the points 6 and 8 being skipped. It’s basically a pay restoration deal for new entrants.

I think every department is allowed to assign 10% of staff to higher scale. This is usually done on the basis of longevity but I have also heard of competitions for higher scale placement.

Thank you MrsBean, that makes sense!

It's funny that they skip points rather than just make those increments larger but alas, these decisions obviously make sense somewhere :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

irishgal92 wrote: »
    I also missed out by 2 points. In A&D.. noticing a trend here.. I am also wondering if I should appeal this, how do we go about this??
    Nothing to lose in appealing (unless they run a secret blacklist that will ensure those who complain are never successful again!) I reckon.
    You can ring PAS to chat about it but to start the process officially you send an email. I've asked for feedback (think this will get me a copy of the transcript) and a quick recheck, which I think is just then making sure all the marks were correctly added up. After that, you can request an informal or formal review, but as far as I can tell you have to make a case for where 'they went wrong' which might not be so easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭nialljf

Does anyone know if the previous Panel has been completed? Is the new batch next in line for jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishgal92

I’m pretty sure there is no blacklist, if that was the case there would be a lot less civil servants in the country!

I just don’t understand why I didn’t pass the mark on the 2 competencies (I got 18 on both, the qualifying mark is 20) and those 2 competencies were asked by the same interview board member.. I did well in all other competencies and in the presentation, so I am very disappointed and feel like that particular interviewer had an issue with me or something. Very very disappointed ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JG2019

Hi does anyone know what oom general stream batch 1 has been called too? And how many were in batch 1? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

JG2019 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know what oom general stream batch 1 has been called too? And how many were in batch 1? Thanks

Sorry I don’t know myself as I’m in the bus&fin stream, but if you give PAS a call they’ll direct you to the ‘Clearance’ section and be able to tell you!

Would anybody have an update on the business & finance stream by any chance? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Annemc123

I rang PAS on Monday and they have called up to 34 on the OOM so far.

Annemc123 wrote: »

Did they say out of how many?

MrsBean wrote: »
    Did they say out of how many?

No I didn’t ask them. That’s all they told me.

Annemc123 wrote: »
    Is this for the general stream? Presume it's batch 1 if so?

• Advertisement

Business and Finance Stream

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lsdmem

On the general stream.

I rang Monday and was told they've take ten off that in the last 2 weeks. This is from the OOM set up with people interviewed in January.

Has anyone any updates on the Business /Finance stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 frenchman

Rang today and they have either taken 11 or 16 from batch 2 general stream. Seems to be flying.

Cheers for the update! That’s going a lot quicker than I would have imagined!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 throughthe808

Called in late 30's in B/F last week

• Advertisement

I hope everyone is well and safe. I'm wondering how covid19 will impact this? Are the panels suspended or do you think recruitment will continue. I know that depts of health and social protection will be priorities now obviously!

I think it will delay further placement of people until government is out of crisis mode. Who knows how long that will be, weeks certainly, perhaps a couple of months. However once back up and running should be fairly swift placement as hopefully any Garda clearance, reference checks will have had time to clear. Just my opinion though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

If I've applied before would I be in a better position than someone who applies this year only? Or is every one different.

I was speaking to public jobs last week, just asking for clarification if this process was to be understandably put on pause to deal with the current situation. They couldn’t give any information with regards to delays which again is understandable! They did say they have gotten up to no.17 for clearance on the AO general stream!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BainMarie

Any update on this? What number in the panel do you think they will reach before they close it?

Also my manager is due to retire next week for the reference. Dunno if I should contact PAS to get in contact with her before then. Im still far down the panel.

• Advertisement

I emailed a couple of weeks ago, they said they had 17 called from batch 2, so same as previous post. They did day they were continuing to recruit as much as normal, but that some aaassignments might take longer. I do wonder if there will be a public service recruitment freeze though, given the economic outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SSSHHWING

Was just assigned from the HR stream. Was in the low teens.

Does anybody have any updates in relation to the Business/Finance stream? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oldzak

Does anyone who has been assigned, but not started yet heard anything from their Departments about when they will be starting?

My department has been in touch to say that because of COVID that we cannot start in the immediate term but that we obviously will still have jobs whenever they are able to take us on. All a bit uncertain - has there been any guidance on when and how they induct new entrants if WFH is around for the foreseeable future?

oldzak wrote: »
    Does anyone who has been assigned, but not started yet heard anything from their Departments about when they will be starting?

My department has been in touch to say that because of COVID that we cannot start in the immediate term but that we obviously will still have jobs whenever they are able to take us on. All a bit uncertain - has there been any guidance on when and how they induct new entrants if WFH is around for the foreseeable future?

You won't find guidance on that per se. That would just be down to how individual departments decide to deal with new recruits. Some depts may be in dire need of new staff and still take people on, others may need special training which can't (yet) be done remotely - depends on how feasible it is to WFH. Good they got in touch with you though, although I'm sure it's frustrating and disappointing to have to wait. Would you mind me asking your order of merit? I'm still waiting to be assigned myself!

Has anyone been assigned from the General Stream recently?

Called from Bus/Finance Stream this week low 40's on the OOM.

Hello!

Was in contact with PAS this week and there's been no movement for the general panel but they hope once restrictions star lifting there may be some movement.

Haha, great minds! I also contacted them this week and they said they were up to number 18 on General Stream and that recruitment was continuing "as normally as possible". :pac:

MrsBean wrote: »
    Haha, great minds! I also contacted them this week and they said they were up to number 18 on General Stream and that recruitment was continuing "as normally as possible". :pac:

Ah ok!!! 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement