Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC inverter question.

Options
  • 01-10-2019 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how long a 500w 12 volt to AC inverter connected to a 70 Ah battery / 840 Wh Battery would power a 100 Watt bulb approx and how to make the calculation. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

quartz1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how long a 500w 12 volt to AC inverter connected to a 70 Ah battery / 840 Wh Battery would power a 100 Watt bulb approx and how to make the calculation. Thanks

A while since I've done this but I'll bite.

840Wh means it would run a 100 Watt load for 8.4 hours. (by definition: Watts x hours=watt-hours)

However, whichever inverter you choose would have an inherent efficiency rating due to heat/noise losses(say maybe 75% as a real rough estimate)

So approx 8.4x0.75=6.3 hours assuming above efficiency. Hope that makes sense

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

quartz1 wrote: »

Jim is correct, in my view.
    (Assuming that the battery is in good condition)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

Thanks for that guys ...I bought a battery and inverter to power a few lights should the power be down but I didnt know how long it would last. I would use some low watt LEDs. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Thanks,

It might be good to keep that battery charged, it can be easy to forget about it and it can degrade.

Advertisement