Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a complain/raising a concern about an incident in hospital.

• 01-10-2019 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

So something happened a long term hospital patient that has left her family very perturbed.
    Are they entitled to some sort of formal explanation?
    Is the only way to communicate their concern through the hospitals own complaint procedures?
    Is there an external ombudsman or some other organization they can share their concern with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Mother was in Beaumont recently, similarly to your friend she had a very embarrassing incident happen. We followed the complaints procedure but found ourselves getting the run around. I ended up writing a letter to a local TD to raise my concerns and they all of a sudden became very accomodating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks.
    I’ll suggest that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

HIQA might be useful also

Try here: www.hiqa.ie/get-touch/report-concern-or-give-feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Did the person affected have capacity to make the complaint themselves. If the person has capacity then it really is only them and not the family members can make the official complaint and it has to be with there consent ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Addle wrote: »
    So something happened a long term hospital patient that has left her family very perturbed.
    Are they entitled to some sort of formal explanation?
    Is the only way to communicate their concern through the hospitals own complaint procedures?
    Is there an external ombudsman or some other organization they can share their concern with?

Go over their heads. Else head meet brick wall time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

alibab wrote: »
    Did the person affected have capacity to make the complaint themselves. If the person has capacity then it really is only them and not the family members can make the official complaint and it has to be with there consent ,

That is easy enough to sort. help her make the complaint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is easy enough to sort. help her make the complaint?

Did I say it wasn’t . Absolutely if the person wants to make the complaint . I am just trying to give a reason why not have been properly investigated. It’s clear that unless the person actually involved makes the complaint officially then it won’t be investigated as a complaint. This may already have been done correctly. If so then look into your service your say and if there is a designated complaints officer .

Advertisement