Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

People at work have been talking about what they were planning to do on their free day off. (Dublin)

I have been saying it would be a windy and wet but nothing out of the ordinary. They didn't believe me.

I will have my I told you so face tomorrow morning when they come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

12 hours will see big changes weather wise.
    The perfect storm the paper calls it.
    Any old people living near ye let ye check on them and see do they need anything.
    Write down your mobile number for them Incase they need anything urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

12 hours will see big changes weather wise.
    The perfect storm the paper calls it.
    Any old people living near ye let ye check on them and see do they need anything.
    Write down your mobile number for them Incase they need anything urgent.

Every man for himself it's doomsday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I went into Supervalu to buy bread and milk yesterday evening. There wasnt a sliced pan left.

It just occured to me now. It was everybody buying bread because of the storm.

For feck sake, I like in Kildare. People are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Lucreto wrote: »
    People at work have been talking about what they were planning to do on their free day off. (Dublin)

I have been saying it would be a windy and wet but nothing out of the ordinary. They didn't believe me.

Aren't you great?

• Advertisement

Lucreto wrote: »

It’s not due to hit Ireland until this evening and it’s due to hit the west coast working eastward.
    Strong wind and heavy rain.
    THIS EVENING and WEST COAST.
    Not now and Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Eerily calm in South Dublin, not a breath of wind or rain, very mild.

Does it feel like a calm before the storm? Perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Gave up reading papers and listening/watching anythig RTE for a few months a while ago. Best thing I ever did. Head never felt better for it. I live with people who religiously watch the 6.1 news day in day out and take everything they say as gospel. That crap would drive me doo lally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pangea wrote: »
    I admire Evelyn's ability to respond to awkward questions, the presenter asked her what is her advise, She replied what do you mean? She then said my advise is to listen to the Gardaí and Local Authorities.

Sean O Rourke on Rte Radio asked her yesterday is is it time to get the sandbags out, she said oh gosh, listen to your local authorities.
    She was right. They were asking her questions that she, in the world of officialdom, was not qualified to answer. It wasn't fair on her to grilled with such idiotic questions.. but then, what else did she, or anyone else, expect?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It’s not due to hit Ireland until this evening and it’s due to hit the west coast working eastward.
    Not now and Dublin

They thought they would get Friday off and some say a half day today to make sure they got home.

Worst case scenario there might be some commute disruption tomorrow morning but I am not expecting much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Laughable the way this has panned out. The hype and overdrive. Nothing more than a gale. But on a serious note, yet more damage to the reputation of weather forecasting has been done. 99.9 % of the population don't understand that it is not an exact science and that forecasts change. So they will diss this as another mess of a forecast.

Met E need to rein it in a bit also. All this nonsense of emergency coordination meetings only adds to the sense of impending doom. Surely such meetings can be held over Skype or in private? And I noticed the revenue commissions were there... For what? Proposing to tax us for every gust over 100 kmph?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not now and Dublin

We have found general literacy standards in Ireland very patchy! The posts here that you are commenting on seem to prove that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

They must of been rejoicing when they changed the measurements. 100 kmph sounds alot scarier than 60 mph. If the tabloids and rte soon don't kop themselves on they will be responsible for causing disasters as people are not going to take any notice of them crying wolf.

No rosy dawning here.. Just dark ominous clouds ..with no tall buildings and no trees this is all we see in every direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Gave up reading papers and listening/watching anythig RTE for a few months a while ago. Best thing I ever did. Head never felt better for it. I live with people who religiously watch the 6.1 news day in day out and take everything they say as gospel. That crap would drive me doo lally.

Same here, I haven't watched the news consciously in year's.

I was at a friend's house yesterday evening he had sky news on, and it was painful watching it.

It was actually like watching a kid's morning breakfast show from the early 80's I was only waiting for the next cartoon to be announced.

The immature presentation, the tension and just absolute robotic zombified look's on their faces...
    living in a false reality a lot of people are...

Give me boards.ie any day.

:)

My biggest fear is the trees still heavy in leaf will be pulled hard by big wind and also the rivers nearby here in Galway are already full with the rain last week and wet land is already logged and flooded.
    The ground won’t take much more water she’s not able for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They would want to keep George Lee off the radio and TV today he was unreal with his frightening predictions scaring the life out of the old folks

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

South east winds picking up NW Clare. Not too bad at the moment but had to wrestle a bit with the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Laughable the way this has panned out. The hype and overdrive. Nothing more than a gale. But on a serious note, yet more damage to the reputation of weather forecasting has been done. 99.9 % of the population don't understand that it is not an exact science and that forecasts change. So they will diss this as another mess of a forecast.

Met E need to rein it in a bit also. All this nonsense of emergency coordination meetings only adds to the sense of impending doom. Surely such meetings can be held over Skype or in private? And I noticed the revenue commissions were there... For what? Proposing to tax us for every gust over 100 kmph?

They are to benefit the politicians, as the radio said this morning politicians want to be seen talking to “experts” so that they can say they knew disaster was going to hit and they can’t be blamed for it.

It’s optics.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/storm-lorenzo-1.4037875?mode=amp

Changing the nearly bald tyres this morning, last thing one needs in the incoming rain is bad tyre's, an absolute essential task.

The road's will be fair bad I tell ye....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Pineapple1 wrote: »

George Lee is still at it on the radio news headlines few mins ago.

If Hollywood is ever looking for a voiceover guy for the next disaster movie, George is available. He’s audibly relishing the “hype”. It’s not on.

Many ppl will be terrified by his carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not so much a breeze here in Dublin.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Why can't they just go back to using the Beaufort Scale for wind and tell us how many mm of rain. We're adults. We can decide for ourselves if it's a bad day or not. This red, orange, yellow system is just stupid.

RoisinD wrote: »
    South east winds picking up NW Clare. Not too bad at the moment but had to wrestle a bit with the back door.

that's quick, I left north Clare an hour ago, in East Clare now, just breezy...

I'm heading to Lahinch later this evening, probably drive by black head, downward.
    From around 7:30 on

The swell will hit it hard there will be a good show I'd say....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Tzardine wrote: »
    I went into Supervalu to buy bread and milk yesterday evening. There wasnt a sliced pan left.

It just occured to me now. It was everybody buying bread because of the storm.

For feck sake, I like in Kildare. People are idiots.

Yet you were also there to buy bread. Just like all before you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

nthclare wrote: »
    that's quick, I left north Clare an hour ago, in East Clare now, just breezy...
    I'm heading to Lahinch later this evening, probably drive by black head, downward.
    From around 7:30 on

The swell will hit it hard there will be a good show I'd say....

Would there be any fear of the sea coming up on to that road by Fanore, doesn't seem that high up from the sea on a normal day

Not really sure what to expect... news is predicting doomsday but on here it seems like a complete non event.

With status yellow, that generally means nothing too major if you’d even notice much at all.

Not really sure what to expect... news is predicting doomsday but on here it seems like a complete non event.

With status yellow, that generally means nothing too major if you’d even notice much at all.

Just sit tight. "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

And worry not.

West Mayo offshore island

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Eerily calm in South Dublin, not a breath of wind or rain, very mild.

Does it feel like a calm before the storm? Perhaps

Except there won’t be any storm in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Not so much a breeze here in Dublin.

We won't get anything until into tonight and tomorrow.

Advertisement