Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

US2 wrote: »
    Would there be any fear of the sea coming up on to that road by Fanore, doesn't seem that high up from the sea on a normal day

Well I've often seen it throw a huge splash over near black head, you'd have to wait for a set of wave's to stop,then drive through.
    Like sitting out in the surf waiting for the next set of wave's.

I've seen Dogfish thrown up on that road on huge swells or onto the rocks...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not really sure what to expect... news is predicting doomsday but on here it seems like a complete non event.

With status yellow, that generally means nothing too major if you’d even notice much at all.

To put it into context we had a yellow warning on Monday for rain. Did anyone notice?

That’s how important yellow warnings are. It’s a complete non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

WInds picked up noticeably with heavy rain in Waterville where there'll be no fishing today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Not so much a breeze here in Dublin.

The wind is whipping up in Galway already.
    The calm of yesterday is gone.
    The trees are rustling already

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Storm is still way off west coast probably 9 hours till it makes landfall, bunch of are we there yet the lot of ya. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I know it's not due to hit until later this evening / tonight, but the wind has noticeably picked up in Galway in the past hour and a half. Passed a GAA pitch there a short while ago, and the flags at the gate were fairly blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Storm is still way off west coast probably 9 hours till it makes landfall, bunch of are we there yet the lot of ya. :D
    Lorenzo has a huge wind field and the edge of it is now coming onshore. This will be a long event for Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Quite windy in Galway city. Wondering if the buses into town will be effected? Got told by work to just stay at home if they are as I don't drive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

This nonsense has to stop. All people in work could talk about yesterday in work how this was going to be as bad as Ophelia, cause day saw it on facebook. Some of the qoutes i have seen "killer storm" "stay safe" "Code Red"

Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Dull and windy in Limerick.

• Advertisement

If anything we should open a chat thread for the pleasant temps due..............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Lovely here in Dublin. Sky this morning was a very electric looking red at the docks. Girl came out of her coffee shop job to take a picture while I was in the que.

Can’t get good staff these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

is it just me or are these weather warnings OTT these days?
    Like the blizzard never happened on that Thursday during storm Emma..
    and now, hardly a breeze here in Cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Quite windy in Galway city. Wondering if the buses into town will be effected? Got told by work to just stay at home if they are as I don't drive

Any sign of Theresa Mannion yet?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I didn't catch any news reports and my only sources are boards and online reports plus met eireann's website. I haven't heard any theatrics anywhere. Where are the ott predictions? Daily Mirror?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

sporina wrote: »

No, firstly it hasn't properly started yet and secondly if they didn't give a high enough warning people would be complaining for the other reason so its better to be safe than sorry

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The warnings themselves are not OTT. There are criteria for the warnings.

It's the way the media deal with the warnings that is OTT.

I didn't catch any news reports and my only sources are boards and online reports plus met eireann's website. I haven't heard any theatrics anywhere. Where are the ott predictions? Daily Mirror?

Everywhere, all tabloids, TV, Sure go to indo.ie now and they seem to be giving rolling updates

We had this same ****e last year too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Big hole in the Atlantic shows that this is no joke at sea.
    Its already claimed mariners lives.
    https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-18.8/centery:47.5/zoom:5

• Registered Users Posts: 4 old goat

Seriously bad now in Tralee. Rain arrived about 10 mins ago, and wind has increased noticibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Windy in cork city, definitely yellow level though.

But as a i said in the technical thread it’s a different type of yellow. Saturated ground + leaves I’m still ok trees (more then Ophelia) can still cause plenty of trees down and possibly damage so just because it was downgraded still remain vigilant.

Some of the gusts are strong enough and meant to get stronger as the day progresses (though remaining in yellow level)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They turned the volume and wind speed up out here. … getting very wild as they said it would.. Easier to forecast on the coast,, west mayo offshore

OUCH! That was a bang! sudden shocks starting... ,background loud noise then a real crash.

Knitting and youtube!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anything happening in Dublin today or tomorrow of note?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

You could have picked several examples of misguided warnings BUT you went with the one that delivered several feet of snow drifts to plenty of the East?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Graces7 wrote: »
    They turned the volume and wind speed up out here. … getting very wild as they said it would.. Easier to forecast on the coast,, west mayo offshore

OUCH! That was a bang! sudden shocks starting... ,background loud noise then a real crash.

Knitting and youtube!

Keep us updated how you're doing Graces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If ME are looking here get George Lee of the radio Mr Doomsday Man

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Anything happening in Dublin today or tomorrow of note?

As I walked into work this morning there was a few leaves on the trees starting to twinkle.

Also I noticed an unusually high number of blackbirds around, they had formed a guard of honour style formation on the electricity poles and were looking anxious, maybe they're aware of whats coming.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Storm 10 wrote: »
    If ME are looking here get George Lee of the radio Mr Doomsday Man

He’s the RTÉ correspondent, nothing to do with Met Éireann. Not their call to make.

In fairness Evelyn was on the radio this morning and has made it clear this is not in the same league as Ophelia intensity wise. Not a whole lot more Met Éireann can do be be honest. Their warnings seem spot on to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Earthnull has it pretty much level with the south coast now, is this it?

Or will it go up and then across?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

lleti wrote: »
    Earthnull has it pretty much level with the south coast now, is this it?

Or will it go up and then across?

Up the west coast until mayo or donegal and then goes southeast across the country again.

Advertisement