Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Only thing I noticed in Newbridge was the wind getting up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

You know it's going to be a very minor event for most of the country when boards is this quiet. Usually when there's a major event I can't keep up to date with the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Remembering the metrical version of the Lorica, Breastplate of St Patrick...

"The whirling wind's tempestuous shocks... The deep salt sea around the old eternal rocks.."

Some things do not change .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

John.Icy wrote: »
    You could have picked several examples of misguided warnings BUT you went with the one that delivered several feet of snow drifts to plenty of the East?

Cork is not in the east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Cw85 wrote: »
    You know it's going to be a very minor event for most of the country when boards is this quiet. Usually when there's a major event I can't keep up to date with the thread.
    I think it's called the calm before the storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Windy in cork city, definitely yellow level though.

But as a i said in the technical thread it’s a different type of yellow. Saturated ground + leaves I’m still ok trees (more then Ophelia) can still cause plenty of trees down and possibly damage so just because it was downgraded still remain vigilant.

Some of the gusts are strong enough and meant to get stronger as the day progresses (though remaining in yellow level)

Couldnt have been calmer on my walk into town this morning, looking out onto Patricks Quay its a bog standard October morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sky in stunning. Such clarity to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I saw a leaf fall....is it Lorenzo?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

If only, however being in the South East I don't see it being any worse that earlier in the week when we had a lot of spot flooding. The storm seems now to have gone further north before taking a turn to the east so it's effect on the E/SE appears to be minimal. It's looking like it will be later this evening or tonight before we see any change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"stay back, stay high, stay dry"

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Steady increase in wind in Waterville. Sustained SE winds at about 45kish. Heavy rain to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Bloody recycling bin has to go out tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ZX7R wrote: »

Ours too. Ridiculous they haven't rescheduled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

CHealy wrote: »
    Windy in cork city, definitely yellow level though.

But as a i said in the technical thread it’s a different type of yellow. Saturated ground + leaves I’m still ok trees (more then Ophelia) can still cause plenty of trees down and possibly damage so just because it was downgraded still remain vigilant.

Some of the gusts are strong enough and meant to get stronger as the day progresses (though remaining in yellow level)

Couldnt have been calmer on my walk into town this morning, looking out onto Patricks Quay its a bog standard October morning.
    That's great news. Thing is the storm isn't really due until 6pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just got soaked walking in to college in cork city. Lashing:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Lorenzo reminds of the ABBA song Fernando.......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

signostic wrote: »

That’s nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

That's great news. Thing is the storm isn't really due until 6pm!

Thats my point, no need to be pin pointing any sort of standard weather as something to do with a storm that hasnt even arrived yet. Wind and rain on an October morning my god batten down the hatches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you follow the track on the timeline on ventusky it looks too far out to cause any major damage,

looks like bit of a damp squib tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The Nal wrote: »
    Ours too. Ridiculous they haven't rescheduled.

They'll probably cancel collections if it gets too bad, but the bin men are hardy creatures so i wouldn't bet on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

ZX7R wrote: »

**** I forgot to put the bins out this morning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

fryup wrote: »
    if you follow the track on the timeline on ventusky it looks too far out to cause any major damage,

It is far out now. Forecast is for it to take a hard right turn for the coast of Ireland later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

signostic wrote: »

Llorente.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

I do love the sense of anticipation of waiting for something that can be seen hundreds of miles away and watching it slowly track nearer and then the realisation "this is it".

It doesn't look like it will be so bad for a lot of the country but it's the sense of the unknown and the possibilities which grow the anticipation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CHealy wrote: »
    Thats my point, no need to be pin pointing any sort of standard weather as something to do with a storm that hasnt even arrived yet. Wind and rain on an October morning my god batten down the hatches.

depends where you are if you read the warnings carefully. West is being hit now. Then a pause, then the bigger storm later..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It is far out now. Forecast is for it to take a hard right turn for the coast of Ireland later.

....and that's why weather warnings only 'kick in' for/from 6pm this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Hoboo

lleti wrote: »
    I do love the sense of anticipation of waiting for something that can be seen hundreds of miles away and watching it slowly track nearer and then the realisation "this is it".

It doesn't look like it will be so bad for a lot of the country but it's the sense of the unknown and the possibilities which grow the anticipation.

Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

fryup wrote: »

thanks for not saying squid ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Getting pretty rough here in West Mayo from an unusual south east direction.

Advertisement