Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The cat is back in and has decided under the bed is the best place for a kip today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still raining in cork city but the wind that was there this morning has died down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Will there be any flooding today between Ringsend and Blackrock D4 please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

torres9kop wrote: »
    Will there be any flooding today between Ringsend and Blackrock D4 tonight please?

Welcome back.

I'd say you should get onto Noah, he'll have a fine auld ark to collect you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭sailing

I flew over Lorenzo this morning over the Atlantic. It tops out at 38000 ft, which is lower than was forecasted. It was further north than forecast and quite a good bit away from land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Definitely status Yellow weather in West Connemara... pressure dropping at a rate of 2mb per hour and a rain rate of 7.2mm per hour. Winds gusting to 45km/h and 10 minute sustained at 30km/h.

Not overly looking forward to this storms arrival later this evening.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Moaning because the storm is not bad enough, it hasn't started. Imagine the moaning if the warnings are not bad enough if the storm turns out to be worse then expected.
    The met office really cannot win.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Will there be any flooding today between Ringsend and Blackrock D4 please?
    Think the worst of it is from later tonight. Met Eireann forecast for Dublin looks fairly benign. https://www.met.ie/forecasts/dublin

Moaning because the storm is not bad enough, it hasn't started. Imagine the moaning if the warnings are not bad enough if the storm turns out to be worse then expected.
    It's actually the semi-deranged storm around these forecasts that sets people off. That and the often pretty OTT colour alerts we get.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's actually the semi-deranged storm around these forecasts that sets people off. That and the often pretty OTT colour alerts we get.

The colour alerts are for people's safety. I would rather caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

SE Winds calmed down a bit now that rain band has passed through. Can get the back door open now without too much difficulty :) NW Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Will there be any Dort trains cancelled today/tonight? Very close to uisce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Will there be any Dort trains cancelled today/tonight? Very close to uisce

All of them

Your boss just text me there to say you can head off home

The colour alerts are for people's safety. I would rather caution.
    Too many of them defeats the purpose, like the boy crying wolf. The only one of real consequence is the red one. The others are just the kind of weather we get quite regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

People are moaning because they heard Hurricane and expected a day or two off. Then harsh reality of just another generic winter wind storms hits and people start posting here.

The great obsession with Weather is used to flog news papers and website views with headlines like RECORD BREAKING HURRICANE which might HIT IRELAND etc etc

Too many of them defeats the purpose, like the boy crying wolf. The only one of real consequence is the red one. The others are just the kind of weather we get quite regularly.

Yes, the yellow warning means you should plan ahead so useful for people who work outside or are doing activities outside. So useful for people to know. That's why they have different colours.

Should they not have warnings? Surprise farmers/ hikers/ fishermen. Can't be shocking people who don't understand weather warnings.

Its the media causing the issues. They’re bigging this up to be a huge storm when in fact it’s a yellow warning for most, same as Monday.

A yellow warning is practically nothing. So I’m preparing based on that. Bit of wind and a bit of rain.

What’s bizarre is why the media are reporting as if it’s a countrywide red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Its the media causing the issues. They’re bigging this up to be a huge storm when in fact it’s a yellow warning for most, same as Monday.

A yellow warning is practically nothing. So I’m preparing based on that. Bit of wind and a bit of rain.

Reati wrote: »
    The great obsession with Weather is used to flog news papers and website views with headlines like RECORD BREAKING HURRICANE which might HIT IRELAND etc etc

It makes them money....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not out here is it so trivial by any means. west mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

live tracker here

• Advertisement

Yes, the yellow warning means you should plan ahead so useful for people who work outside or are doing activities outside. So useful for people to know. That's why they have different colours.

Should they not have warnings? Surprise farmers/ hikers/ fishermen. Can't be shocking people who don't understand weather warnings.
    I think they use them excessively, something even Evelyn Cusack did say they'd look at, for weather we've lived with most of our lives. Most people are capable of reading an actual weather forecast and seeing the implications. This is a winter storm and all that brings. You don't need colour codes to tell you it's a wild day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

The Nal wrote: »
    The cat is back in and has decided under the bed is the best place for a kip today.

My bed is a divan so the cats choose to share the bed with me... One well hidden at this time!

I just took a drive around Mullaghmore head. Sea is pretty flat still, no signs of any swell. I’ll pop back this late afternoon or early evening.

I love looking at rough seas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

See this is the exact ****e we have to put up with from sites like "Dublin live"

Met Eireann speak out about possibility of Status Red warning for Ireland as Storm Lorenzo hits

The ferocious beast's strong gales will see serious disruption all around Ireland with severe flooding and fallen trees expected.

And to cap it all, the storm will bring thunder and lightning over large parts of the country.

Many of us are very happy with the current system. And there is no need to listen to anything else but met.ie warnings and here. west mayo

I just took a drive around Mullaghmore head. Sea is pretty flat still, no signs of any swell. I’ll pop back this late afternoon or early evening.

I love looking at rough seas.

A majestic sight... Enjoy! I do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Graces7 wrote: »
    T
    Heard A COW bellowing. so went out but hidden by the old house! And the minibus to the pier but probably just to check all is well down there

Maybe Upright cow, or the bull, has escaped and they are sending out a search party! Who knows! Sheeting sideways and bitterly cold..

Crazy world.. just going to sit and let them at it ! Nothing to do with me!

I am rooting for Upright Cow to stay Upright! C'mon Upright Cow! Don't Let Lorenzo knock you down, be strong!

Graces7 wrote: »
    A majestic sight... Enjoy! I do here.

I will do!

Keep the narratives up, Grace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm starting to dread the power outages. Candlelight will be nice tonight, but tomorrow night when I'm on my own....meh.

Advertisement