Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

See this is the exact ****e we have to put up with from sites like "Dublin live"

Met Eireann speak out about possibility of Status Red warning for Ireland as Storm Lorenzo hits

The ferocious beast's strong gales will see serious disruption all around Ireland with severe flooding and fallen trees expected.

And to cap it all, the storm will bring thunder and lightning over large parts of the country.

Radio Nova have something similar up! Potential red warning for Ireland.

Then the actual article clearly states possibly in coastal areas.

Grace, if you knit a hat or scarf with upright cow on it, I’ll buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Birds have be going mad here in Sligo all morning. Gusty enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Driving conditions not pleasant on the South Link in Cork between the city and Mahon about half an hour ago. Not helped by the people who inevitably forget how to drive when it’s raining :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Wrong link both for the tutorial.
    Crikey you're quick :o and I edited it straight away
    Right link here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Radio Nova have something similar up! Potential red warning for Ireland.

Then the actual article clearly states possibly in coastal areas.

Don't mind them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

See this is the exact ****e we have to put up with from sites like "Dublin live"

Met Eireann speak out about possibility of Status Red warning for Ireland as Storm Lorenzo hits

The ferocious beast's strong gales will see serious disruption all around Ireland with severe flooding and fallen trees expected.

And to cap it all, the storm will bring thunder and lightning over large parts of the country.

Here is some from Google news:
    • Storm Lorenzo will be 'a different beast' to Ophelia
    • Hurricane Lorenzo: When will Hurricane Lorenzo hit?
    • “Violent” winds, lightning and heavy rain
    • ‘UNPRECEDENTED’ AND ‘FEROCIOUS’ STORM LORENZO TO BRING FLOODING AND THUNDERSTORMS (yes this one is in all caps)

etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The hype over this has been ridiculous. From a county cork point of view, it was never an orange warning, even going by the forecasts at the time it was issued. All week you have staff badgering businesses to close, teachers telling students they may have to close etc.What a load of ****e !!!
    Well Ned my collie is still curled up in bed. Usually when a bad storm is approaching he's up pacing around about 12 hours beforehand.
    Ned is still in the bed which suggests nothing going to happen for at least 12 hours.

Ned is still in the bed which suggests nothing going to happen for at least 12 hours.

I believe in Ned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

The Army have sent the Pilatus' up around Baldonell just now - seems to be great flying aside of the low level clouds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Reati wrote: »
    Here is some from Google news:
    • Storm Lorenzo will be 'a different beast' to Ophelia
    • Hurricane Lorenzo: When will Hurricane Lorenzo hit?
    • “Violent” winds, lightning and heavy rain
    • ‘UNPRECEDENTED’ AND ‘FEROCIOUS’ STORM LORENZO TO BRING FLOODING AND THUNDERSTORMS (yes this one is in all caps)

etc etc

I know, but.... Will there be thunder?
    Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reading the weather warnings there is some real justification for thinking the storm is on now. Yellow on now out here and they may just not take in the detail. Many of these are newbies to the met ie warnings and boards where as we have been at this for years. It is a little ambiguous.

Says yellow warning from 9 am ...
    John.Icy wrote: »
    I really want to believe some people are being deliberately obtuse...

But nah...some people need to learn how to read and tell the time.

Nothing is due in the East till much much later. How many people have to come on here to say it's not that windy in Dublin or other Eastern parts.

In saying that it's not going to get that windy here but if you read the official forecasts you'd have already seen that.

Get out of here looking for your hurricanes because your only source of weather is The Sun and their exaggerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grace, if you knit a hat or scarf with upright cow on it, I’ll buy it!

YOU ARE ON! Colour please! And every cent will go to the babies my faith family rescue in Nepal..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think social media is the culprit.

It is now so inaccurate with a lot of news it reports. And people on it often report nonsense as fact.

The news outlets have seen these people now as a target audience, and have to report in their terms. As a result we get the overhyped daily mail like headlines.

I seen plenty of photos and clips of Lorenzo in the Azores, but they didn't once say "but it'll not be this violent by the time it gets to Ireland" because it doesn't suit the narrative.

George Lee was case in point last night. Embarrassing. The national broadcaster shouldn't be allowed to do articles of such poor quality without being challenged.

Graces7 wrote: »
    YOU ARE ON! Colour please! And every cent will go to the babies my faith family rescue in Nepal..

What colour is upright cow?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Getting seriously windy in Dublin anyway. Not expecting anything serious but it's going to be very nasty out when the rain arrives.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still pelting down in cork city. Think it’s going to end soon though based on the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Dublin met.ie says 27km winds tonight? That's hardly a breeze?

That's a normal day for Ireland, a breeze is all it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Graces7 wrote: »

I will have one too, in Upright Cow colours to match her upright coat colour! :P

No Green - will look like grass stains which mean upright cow has not been upright at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Update from Nenagh:

Wind picking up a bit alright - I wouldn't go running in it but it'd be a great day for drying clothes if the rain holds off another bit

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

"Its a rather blustery day" said Pooh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Raining in Newbridge atm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Blowing fierce wind here on the Dingle Peninsula. Hard to keep upright in the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

"Its a rather blustery day" said Pooh

“It sure fcukin is said piglet.its the lorenzo don’t you know.boll1x to it said Pooh,boll1x to it”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

On a day off so brought the dog for a walk in the Phoenix Park. Nothing unusual at all, typical mid late Autumn day. I predict a non event for Dublin anyway. The media need to lay off the scare mongering on these things or when a real storm comes no one will believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Getting seriously windy in Dublin anyway. Not expecting anything serious but it's going to be very nasty out when the rain arrives.

Whereabouts? I've been out all morning and not seeing anything unusual, mild if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I see they are having to play the rugby under a closed roof because of the threat of this so called storm. I will believe there is a storm when I see a tree falling on top of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

From the Aberdeen Evening Express.......

At the height of the gale, the harbour master radioed a coastguard on the spot and asked him to estimate the wind speed.

He replied that he was sorry, he didn't have a gauge. However, if it was any help, the wind had just blown his Land Rover off the cliff.

Advertisement