Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Breezy in Galway thus far but nothing too strong. Seemed a little windier earlier. Not a bad day so far really. Some light rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Redo91 wrote: »
    With all due respect I don’t understand why people on the East coast are even commenting on here with weather updates. Saw a few posts on here from people describing the scene as they went to work. I’m guessing they do that every morning since essentially in Dublin the weather is not due to be anything out of the ordinary.

Sorry but the thread is just getting clogged up with weather updates from areas that aren’t due to be hit badly so what’s the point? It’s the west coast that will worse hit so it’s there that the updates of the conditions are actually relevant.
    Most inconsiderate of them. I'd try Met Eireann if you want updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

M6 Max Gust 55kn with a 10.5m wave at noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Raining here in Cork...Wind picking up a little bit. Feeling ok so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

61km/h the Max gust so far at my Waterford station

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

Youtube Stream https://www.youtube.com/c/WaterfordMeteo/live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Travelled to West Galway city from the East this morning and back again, it was fine on the way over and traffic was notably quieter enroute. Definitely more gusty on the way back, not consistent, just isolated bursts of gusts that aren’t too bad at all yet thankfully. A few wheelie bins have been knocked over on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Southeasterly gales in Sligo. Strong enough to bend trees. The problem is when it switches to the Northwest the trees will be looser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Redo91 wrote: »
    With all due respect I don’t understand why people on the East coast are even commenting on here with weather updates. Saw a few posts on here from people describing the scene as they went to work. I’m guessing they do that every morning since essentially in Dublin the weather is not due to be anything out of the ordinary.

Sorry but the thread is just getting clogged up with weather updates from areas that aren’t due to be hit badly so what’s the point? It’s the west coast that will worse hit so it’s there that the updates of the conditions are actually relevant.

This is a chat thread, just skip by the ones that mention Dublin. It's hardly that much of an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Mid Mayo area. Wind fairly picking up the last couple of hours.
    Dog wont go out to do her business.

It's now a staring match with 2 min intervals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Graces7 wrote: »
    Opening a separate chat thread was a dire mistake. At least when the charts etc were in it diluted the *****. Has made it into an AH type thread. with a few wonderful genuine posters fighting a rising tide. And no meaningful moderation?

Off back to the real thread!

The other thread is for technical analysis as per title. This is a chat thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

pauldry wrote: »
    Southeasterly gales in Sligo. Strong enough to bend trees. The problem is when it switches to the Northwest the trees will be looser.

in sligo too....coolaney...so mayo side of sligo....very surprised how strong wind has been already (2pm now)...10 hours to go before landfall off coast of mayo...this could be a tricky one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Also in Sligo. Not sure how they’ve taken us off the yellow warning later looking at charts? Seems bad enough already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

North Kerry windy but nothing exceptional yet.
    Been raining on and off all morning

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lleti wrote: »
    So now we've gone from countrywide warning to "only the west" according to people on here. Way to make people not heed warnings in future if it's true..

It was always a west event. Lorenzo coming in from the Atlantic... As the warnings clearly said,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

So now we've gone from countrywide warning to "only the west" according to people on here. Way to make people not heed warnings in future if it's true..

Still a national yellow warning. In case you are not sure, a yellow warning is a "Be aware" warning. It does not forecast damage but aims to let people who may be more exposed or involved with weather dependent activities that they may need to take additional precautions etc.

If you go to https://www.met.ie/ you can click on your area on the map and get a decent forecast of how you may be affected. Joe.ie or "my-mate-said" is probably not the best way to inform yourself.

Getting fiercer out here. Stronger and more sustained gusts.

So this will continue until the Orange warning takes over at 6 pm? Long night ahead. west mayo

Looks like Mayo coastline is going to get s serious battering around mid night. Achill and belmullet circled

Getting much more intense out here. Heard a loud bang outside and when I went out, the gale had torn the big metal sign off my gate.

One of my cats is taking refuge in my bed, emerging for food. Never seen him do that before. He is terrified.

Feels bad. Very bad and, we will it seems go from this into the orange warning until 6 am … Long night ahead

West mayo offshore island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Still a national yellow warning. In case you are not sure, a yellow warning is a "Be aware" warning. It does not forecast damage but aims to let people who may be more exposed or involved with weather dependent activities that they may need to take additional precautions etc.

If you go to https://www.met.ie/ you can click on your area on the map and get a decent forecast of how you may be affected. Joe.ie or "my-mate-said" is probably not the best way to inform yourself.

A yellow warning = be aware?

There was extremely heavy rain last weekened yet there was no yellow warning or newsheadlines about it?

If it's not going to really affect people day to day then don't be giving countryside warnings. I've seen my workplace prepare big precautions, cancelling roof works etc and it's going to be no worse than any random ****ty day.

As for your comment about joe.ie etc.

From RTE:
    The National Emergency Co-ordination Group has reiterated serious concern about the impact of Storm Lorenzo, particularly in coastal areas along the west and southwest coast.

Soo....which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ventusky is showing its forecast position based upon models output. Sat24 is where it actually is. To my mind it’s north of where most forecasts put it

Remember that "up" isn't north on Sat24 images, which can confuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

In Sligo , dead right to remove the warning average windy conditions here,
    I’m off for a walk.
    Non event and correctly called as such by Met Éireann

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

LastLagoon wrote: »
    I’m off for a walk.

Seems very windy and wet in my part of town at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

LastLagoon wrote: »
    I’m off for a walk.

A non event?? You do know it's due from 6pm yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OldRio

I guess After Hours must be having a very slow day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Blue sky visible over north Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

A non event?? You do know it's due from 6pm yeah?

I'd pay no heed, you get people falling over themselves on here to scoff at the severity of every notable weather event. You'd think there was a prize for the person who can downplay it most.

[
    I'm as calm as this "storm"

Then you are not calm at all; raging gale, deluges hitting the windows horizontally... Nothing but noise and water... Yep, calm as this storm.. and still only a yellow warning.

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

West - Don't wear a hat, unless your a fast runner.
    East - Don't wear a hat, you don't need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There are times when I am dismayed by the average standard of reading comprehension in the UK and Ireland.

People are judging the strength of the storm hours before it arrives. The mind just boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Has calmed down somewhat in West Mayo compared to earlier,

though still wild,

I shall be out later to video conditions.

winds ramping up again as i type.

Advertisement