Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

A non event?? You do know it's due from 6pm yeah?

I'm confused about the whole thing. For the yellow alerts it says:

Valid: Thursday 03 October 2019 09:00 to Thursday 03 October 2019 18:00

But everyone keeps saying it's not due to start till later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Wet and windy here in North Galway. Have heard from friends in Connemara that it's wild enough to be concerned that it's suppose to get worse from 6pm. Also looks to be moving slower with the warnings extended from 3am to 6am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lleti wrote: »
    So we shouldn't believe our state broadcaster now?

Yes but read the locality of events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

All eyes on when its gonna make that turn eastwards

Watch it if you want but I doubt most people are bothered. Nothing major is expected from this, maybe the usual few pictures on the news of trees down and the odd power cut, happens regularly during winter in Ireland.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Wet and windy here in North Galway. Have heard from friends in Connemara that it's wild enough to be concerned that it's suppose to get worse from 6pm. Also looks to be moving slower with the warnings extended from 3am to 6am.

The same here in west mayo. This is far worse than was expected so early. Great concern - and look! The sun it trying to come out!

But fierce already

west mayo offshore island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Reati wrote: »

It depends where you are. The yellow warning was nationwide. The storm was moving up our west coast impacting those areas first. Then it is due to stall, turn east or south-easterly and affect other areas.

The east of the country will not see much until the early hours of the morning and even then it will not impact much.

Some of the issues however are that the trees are in full leaf and the ground is already very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

The Orange warning for higher gusts up to 130km/h starts from 6pm for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Kerry and Limerick.

Yellow warning is nationwide but for gusts up to 100km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

There is an orange warning for a large chunk of the Atlantic coast valid from 6PM this evening until tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

adox wrote: »
    There is an orange warning for a large chunk of the Atlantic coast valid from 6PM this evening until tomorrow morning.

There is and I explicitly said Yellow warning for the reason I'm not referencing the West.
    It depends where you are. The yellow warning was nationwide. The storm was moving up our west coast impacting those areas first. Then it is due to stall, turn east or south-easterly and affect other areas.

The east of the country will not see much until the early hours of the morning and even then it will not impact much.

Some of the issues however are that the trees are in full leaf and the ground is already very wet.

That's what I was expecting as I assumed it's not really going to affect the East coast very much given the warnings end at 6. So I don't expect there will be much (My highest gust was 64kph an hour ago).

I was just confused by the "It's not going to start till later on the East coast" comments as, while technically true, it's not going to be much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes but read the locality of events

There's a status yellow for Dublin where the sun is shining and a lovely sunny afternoon and there's a yellow warning in Sligo where trees are getting bent over and it's pissing rain.

• Advertisement

Has calmed down somewhat in West Mayo compared to earlier,

though still wild,

I shall be out later to video conditions.

winds ramping up again as i type.

Yes some very wild strong gusts coming in now. West mayo offshore. Looking forward to the videos. Take care,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭tphase

Wompa1 wrote: »
    not particularly bad in west Connemara yet (worse in south Connemara according to a delivery driver). WInd has gone S, looks like about a F6 and rain has stopped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes some very wild strong gusts coming in now. West mayo offshore. Looking forward to the videos. Take care,,

Stay safe, you are in for a long night from the looks of it.

I'd pay no heed, you get people falling over themselves on here to scoff at the severity of every notable weather event. You'd think there was a prize for the person who can downplay it most.

Appropriate prize would be to sit the storm out out here.... Or in the observation bunker at Downpatrick Head..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

VinLieger wrote: »
    I dunno what Dublin your in but its completely overcast and wet in the city right now

Sunny in Rathfarnaham now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

SJW Lover wrote: »
    The storm makes landf?all at midnight somewhere around Killala, County Mayo. And then moves southeastwards across the country. Seeing as you live in the future, how is the sun shining in the middle of the night where you are?

The yellow warning is in place since 9am today in Dublin?

I see the posters point. There is a nationwide warning since 9am but for most people there seems to be nothing at all out of the ordinary 6 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

In Dun Laoghire Harbour all morning. Overcast and windy all day. Around 30kts now and gusty. Picked up a lot in the last 30 mins. Up near the church in Dun Laoghire it feels like a normal day but there is nobody on the piers because it's too windy so don't assume Met Eireann because your street is sheltered.

SJW Lover wrote: »
    The storm makes landfall at midnight somewhere around Killala, County Mayo. And then moves southeastwards across the country. Seeing as you live in the future, how is the sun shining in the middle of the night where you are?

The yellow warning finishes in less than 3 hours buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

easypazz wrote: »

I see the posters point. There is a nationwide warning since 9am but for most people there seems to be nothing at all out of the ordinary 6 hours later.

It's a yellow warning - a "be aware" advisory in other words. Doesn't guarantee you are going to get anything adverse. Limerick is included in the orange for tonight and it's been a very strange day here - we go from near still wind outside to some stronger gusts and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

All sound NE Galway. Awaiting 6pm developments.

• Advertisement

8mEZdGT.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

easypazz wrote: »

They are their own worst enemies.

There is no point having a yellow warning at 9am when the storm is hours away.

It is raining now in North Donegal. Not heavy but steady
    Still no increase in winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Wind steadily rising here in Ballina. Drove to Enniscrone at lunchtime. Tide well out but boats moored further up the Moy are already being tossed about. I would not be downplaying this at all. Trees are fully laden with leaves and on the drive back in, the roads are littered with Glass-Shattering-sized chunks of wood.
    I'm a horticulturlist and trust me, winds of this intensity and duration this early in Autumn as forecasted will absolutely result in fallen trees. It does not take much LB/Ft pressure from a good gust of wind to shift a fully laden Beech in saturated ground.
    For anyone driving home this evening after 6, change your route to avoid any roads with long stretches of over-hanging Beech, Oak, Sycamore etc. Plus, expect fallen Trees and Large branches around any corner.

P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Galway city - just getting out first decent gusts now. Nothing happening until that point as expected.

NIMAN wrote: »
    They are their own worst enemies.

There is no point having a yellow warning at 9am when the storm is hours away.

It is raining now in North Donegal. Not heavy but steady
    Still no increase in winds.

It weather it isn't like trains in Japan

Stay safe, you are in for a long night from the looks of it.

Indeed yes. My home is interesting. A sealed unit so the roof would not come off... ( A demountable dwelling they call it) Aluminium, and very well concreted in. Cannot thus come apart. I keep imagining it taking off whole! Beware low flying Graces! NO DANGER OF THAT!

Poor cat is terrified; hiding in my bed or dragging the sheet off to wrap round him. No idea where the other four are. Plenty of safe crannies out there.

But this afternoon has been worse than we anticipated. Now they say stronger gales from 4 p;m. The images of Lorenzo tracking in are quite.....and nothing can stop it,

Off to sleep a while.

Stay safe out there all …

Wetter than an otter's pocket here in Waterford City but quite mild and zero breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

Judging by my phone the worst winds are after dark. 8pm to midnight seems dodgy in Sligo. 50knot gusts on top of all day blowing may shift a few trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Getting quite blustery now in South Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Corbally wrote: »
    In Dun Laoghire Harbour all morning. Overcast and windy all day. Around 30kts now and gusty. Picked up a lot in the last 30 mins. Up near the church in Dun Laoghire it feels like a normal day but there is nobody on the piers because it's too windy so don't assume Met Eireann because your street is sheltered.

Recent gust of 50kts in DunLaoghire Harbour.

Advertisement