Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

very calm with little to no wind in West Cork and quite warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Recent gust of 50kts in DunLaoghire Harbour.
    So about Force 9 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Graces7 wrote: »
    Indeed yes. My home is interesting. A sealed unit so the roof would not come off... ( A demountable dwelling they call it) Aluminium, and very well concreted in. Cannot thus come apart. I keep imagining it taking off whole! Beware low flying Graces! NO DANGER OF THAT!

Poor cat is terrified; hiding in my bed or dragging the sheet off to wrap round him. No idea where the other four are. Plenty of safe crannies out there.

But this afternoon has been worse than we anticipated. Now they say stronger gales from 4 am. The images of Lorenzo tracking in are quite.....and nothing can stop it,

Off to sleep a while.

Stay safe out there all …

Whatever about Upright Cow, I am now rooting for Upright Graces - and Upright Graces House, and Upright Cat.

Sleep well!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Apparently Sligo and Donegal County Council have been told they won't be in a yellow warning zone much longer as almost calm conditions expected there as the storm centre will be to their south. I heard that from a reliable source..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Leaves are starting to come off mildy swaying trees fairly regularly now here at work in Mulranny. Definitely picking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Strong gusts now in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Kutebride wrote: »
    All sound NE Galway. Awaiting 6pm developments.

Definitely picked up in North Galway in the last 30 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Was windy earlier but now not a gust in limerick. Calm actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

What I really want to know is, is there going to be thunder and lightning? I love a bit of thunder and lightning. Of course it'll be a bit rubbish if it's at 3am, or whatever time the storm passes over Dublin. 7am would be perfect, with it all passed overhead by the time we have to walk to school at 8.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Tefral wrote: »
    Was windy earlier but now not a gust in limerick. Calm actually.

Same here in Westport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

JDD wrote: »
    What I really want to know is, is there going to be thunder and lightning? I love a bit of thunder and lightning. Of course it'll be a bit rubbish if it's at 3am, or whatever time the storm passes over Dublin. 7am would be perfect, with it all passed overhead by the time we have to walk to school at 8.30.
    Doesn't seem to be any in the storm out at sea at the minute, but have a look at this later on: http://map.blitzortung.org/#4.51/53.71/-14.33

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ASCAT winds at 0942 and 1024Z this morning.

492183.png

492184.png

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

https://www.windy.com/?53.334,-6.249,5

Good site to help visualise it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Half the problem here is that it was a named hurricane long before Met Eireann would have named it with one of their own names. The media ramped it early, and there were some juicy graphics from the hurricane centre in the US to feed people with.

A perfect storm for the media, excuse the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Apparently Sligo and Donegal County Council have been told they won't be in a yellow warning zone much longer as almost calm conditions expected there as the storm centre will be to their south. I heard that from a reliable source..

south of sligo ?....it hasnt been calm on west side of county sligo...ballina, co. mayo side of sligo so far......easkey / enniscrone.

so is the path different now with new updated info ?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bunderoon

trihead wrote: »
    https://www.windy.com/?53.334,-6.249,5

Good site to help visualise it

Looks like a good find.
    Midnight to 4 am seems like when lands properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Sligo and Leitrim to go to Orange it seems. Thought it looked to be tracking more north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bunderoon wrote: »
    Looks like a good find.
    Midnight to 4 am seems like when lands properly.

You can change the model on the bottom right to see the different tracks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

NIMAN wrote: »
    That's everything round house sorted.

All drains cleared of leaves.
    Car in garage
    Clothes line down
    Swing on its side with boulders on it
    Football nets on side chained to big tree
    All planters in garage too

Hopefully it will all be unnecessary.

You’re better safe than sorry anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s actually dropped the wind a bit in Galway compared to early this morning and it’s misting.
    After supper tonight she will get right bad I’d say.
    Stay safe let ye and if ye have old people living near ye check are they alright and do they want anything from the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sligo to go orange,your reliable source not that reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

For the uninitiated why does it not keep heading northeast what causes it to veer to the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

So it’s not going to make landfall now until 5 or 6am tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Cycled home across Dublin. Enjoyable and fast when the wind behind me. Not so great when in front. I’d say there will be a few branches down on the Malahide road in the morning. Still nothing worse than a bad winters day that if the media didn’t mention it nobody would notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

I didn't realise you can zoom in so far on windy.com
    It even has dwellings highlighted. I can see my gaff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Sligo to go orange,your reliable source not that reliable

Will they drop Limerick and Kerry down to yellow at the last minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

UrbanFret wrote: »
    For the uninitiated why does it not keep heading northeast what causes it to veer to the right?

When it's over water it's spinning like mad anti clockwise, but water is fairly slippy so it doesn't get a grip and only gradually curves to the right in our neck of the planet.
    As soon as it's over land, much better grip and it curves waaay more dramatically to the right.
    But land is kryptonite to hurricanes.
    Kills them dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

josip wrote: »
    When it's over water it's spinning like mad anti clockwise, but water is fairly slippy so it doesn't get a grip and only gradually curves to the right in our neck of the planet.
    As soon as it's over land, much better grip and it curves waaay more dramatically to the right.
    But land is kryptonite to hurricanes.
    Kills them dead.

Surely it’s just the jet stream pushing it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

83 days to Christmas for the survivors.

Advertisement