Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

BarryD2 wrote: »
    They should abolish those yellow warnings - serve no useful purpose other than to remind people to bring a rain coat in winter.

I disagree. I think the country should be on a PERMANENT Yellow. That way we would always be in a state of readiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

LastLagoon wrote: »
    I’m making a serious point, the ramping and over dramatisation that goes on in these threads is insane. People actively rooting for the worst case and over dramatising it when it does hit. Met say peak is 6-7 tonight. It’s gonna be a big fat nothingburger

It depends where you live.
    I’m in Galway and you wouldn’t be going out walking here now and it’s promised worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i think met E. should just stick to the bare facts, they need to stop getting sucked along by the press and call it as it is.

the worst reporting was george lee who was pathetic on rte news last night.

the weather warnings and storm naming make it easier for the press to exaggerate, although considering im in the direct line of landfall which its not made yet we shall see whether its hyped up

George Lee doesn't work for met eireann. There is no facts with weather. Weather does it's own thing. It's already moved further North than expected. The facts are the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If people took the time to look into what the warnings actually mean instead of believing media hype, none of this would be an issue.

Yellow warnings aren't meant to indicate severe weather. This is explicitly stated on Met Eireann's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Carol25 wrote: »
    No?! I’ve no time to hunt through Met Eireann’s Weather forecasts daily and hourly to see what the winds will be. A simple yellow wind warning is useful and also quite windy if you actually have the conditions that require it.
    Fair enough. It only takes a few seconds on the app BTW, to read a whole week's worth of forecasts. Far more information than bandying colours about IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

If people took the time to look into what the warnings actually mean instead of believing media hype, none of this would be an issue.

Yellow warnings aren't meant to indicate severe weather. This is explicitly stated on Met Eireann's website.

99% of the whingers here clearly have trouble with basic english. It’s sunny in Dublin so this is loike a total non event you goys - **** OFF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I said a few days ago about how so many people were larping and fantasizing about fearsome winds, howling storms, epic floods, battening down the hatches, bravely trying to keep hopes up, knowing that with this storm only the strongest would survive.... proven right. And that I excepted a small breeze.

I'm just back from the shops and god you couldn't even call it a breeze! It's the calmest day, hardly a whisper, you can scarcely feel anything at all. Literally everyone was out and about as normal, if anything I saw more people walking the dogs right now than on a sunny day. Old people, young people, all taking a **** on the big warnings because they heard it all before and it never turns out bad. The fearsome Lorenzo... what a joke! yeah like I know the main of it hasn't hit yet but there's literally nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

99% of the whingers here clearly have trouble with basic english. It’s sunny in Dublin so this is loike a total non event you goys - **** OFF!!!

Indeed. All whining because they didn't get a day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Where do you live might I ask? Wind yellow is a useful warning with quite high gusts of between 90-110km/h. Why on earth would that be scrapped? I always have to put things away and secure the garden during a yellow warning.

Because that's what was called a bog standard gale for many years, nothing exceptional, quite common. In old money, the forecast would simply have said 'gale force winds' for a time in xyz and people understood that. These colour warnings should be confined to events of more possible significance, not precautionary warnings to roll up your parasol. Causes unnecessary confusion.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Indeed. All whining because they didn't get a day off.

Nobody got a day off, Lorenzo is a slimeball in that regards - waits till evening time to arrive :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

It depends where you live.
    I’m in Galway and you wouldn’t be going out walking here now and it’s promised worse.

Not ideal for a walk maybe but its hardly going to be a severe storm or weather event (compared to what we have seen over the last 5 or 6 years anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

If yellow is considered to be the best of a bad lot,.then yellow weather warning will be issued.....
    If yellow is considered to be the worst of an average lot,.then yellow weather warning won't be issued...
    Quite simple really and very understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Westport 03/10/19
    VtrqSiT.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

this thread is nastier than Lorenzo :)

Hi guys

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, I wasn’t getting a straight answer, just glib comments in the other one.

Our shift in Galway city is finishing at 12am. It looks like we’ll be expected to stay until finish, no scope to leave early. I have to drive to the midlands on the motorway. An option is to shelter in place at work until the weather lifts. I’ve worked nights before, we wouldn’t be working on but resting here, our shift starts late enough tomorrow that we could stay until 6 and still have enough rest for the next one, though I’d expect only to stay an hour or two.

While I do expect to travel, and for it just to be a bad drive home, I don’t know what to base that on. I’m not asking “will i be ok?”. What I’d like to know is what windspeeds would the go/stay decision need? I’ll be going off windspeed reports local to here, but without a baseline of what’s safe & what’s risky, I have no idea what to risk & what to wait for. Even if windspeeds go nowhere near it, I’d like an idea of “stay put if it’s X or above” so I can decide.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

m17 wrote: »
    Roonagh pier co mayo 03/10/19
    Qr2KYpY.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

is_that_so wrote: »
    Fair enough. It only takes a few seconds on the app BTW, to read a whole week's worth of forecasts. Far more information than bandying colours about IMO.

The app just gives general wind speeds for a given day, it doesn’t specify for say 3 hours of gales, etc. That’s why I find the warnings useful. I don’t think met eireann hyped up this event. They just did their job. Can people not read, comprehend where the warnings are for, and what is involved...if they can’t they certainly wouldn’t be able to live without the colour coded weather warning system. I suspect without it we’d have people jumping onto these threads saying why wasn’t there a warning issued...etc.
    Maybe the weather warning system needs to be dumbed down even more? Something like red=really really bad weather, orange=bad, yellow=not great..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

TV3 News trying to brew up a storm, literally. Makes sad viewing Scarlet for Colette.

Hi guys

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, I wasn’t getting a straight answer, just glib comments in the other one.

Our shift in Galway city is finishing at 12am. It looks like we’ll be expected to stay until finish, no scope to leave early. I have to drive to the midlands on the motorway. An option is to shelter in place at work until the weather lifts. I’ve worked nights before, we wouldn’t be working on but resting here, our shift starts late enough tomorrow that we could stay until 6 and still have enough rest for the next one, though I’d expect only to stay an hour or two.

While I do expect to travel, and for it just to be a bad drive home, I don’t know what to base that on. I’m not asking “will i be ok?”. What I’d like to know is what windspeeds would the go/stay decision need? I’ll be going off windspeed reports local to here, but without a baseline of what’s safe & what’s risky, I have no idea what to risk & what to wait for. Even if windspeeds go nowhere near it, I’d like an idea of “stay put if it’s X or above” so I can decide.

Thank you.

In fairness motorways are wide open and its hardly like a tree can fall on you. That would be the main issue I think, along with flooding. I would be avoiding narrow country roads myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Calm in Limerick city.

• Advertisement

Hi guys

Thank you.

I feel for you man, we are in an orange warning area and were told yesterday to make sure we are home by 6 - that’s just a company being considerate but your place sound like assholes. You “should” be ok traveling motorways apart from the cross winds, but as previous poster said avoid back roads if you can. It’s very likely trees will fall given the ground saturation at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Reporter in Galway on V.M. News a.t.m. reporting that winds are picking-up significantly now.
    Well, he must be using STRONG hair gel! Not even one hair bobbing in the gale/ breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

TV 3/Virgin Media would make you sick with their pathetic ramping up of a breezy afternoon. 5 or 6 reporters based around the country ala Fox news style reporting.
    All of them standing out in the 'storm', but hardly a hair moving on their heads..

If the Irish media want to encourage viewership, they need to stop with this fake news clickbait style and ramping up of non events. No wonder younger people are opting for Netflix, Amazon prime etc..

So we're about to hit the worst of it? :D

well actually the worst of it is about to hit US. ;)

The app just gives general wind speeds for a given day, it doesn’t specify for say 3 hours of gales, etc. That’s why I find the warnings useful. I don’t think met eireann hyped up this event. They just did their job. Can people not read, comprehend where the warnings are for, and what is involved...if they can’t they certainly wouldn’t be able to live without the colour coded weather warning system. I suspect without it we’d have people jumping onto these threads saying why wasn’t there a warning issued...etc.
    Maybe the weather warning system needs to be dumbed down even more? Something like red=really really bad weather, orange=bad, yellow=not great..
    Each to their own. It gives enough weather information to do what you've done. As I've already said I think they are overused, often far too wide in their predicted effect and a lot of the time they just describe normal weather at particular times of the year.

Graces7 wrote: »
    well actually the worst of it is about to hit US. ;)
    In a pincer movement?:)

UsBus wrote: »
    TV 3/Virgin Media would make you sick with their pathetic ramping up of a breezy afternoon. 5 or 6 reporters based around the country ala Fox news style reporting.
    All of them standing out in the 'storm', but hardly a hair moving on their heads..

If the Irish media want to encourage viewership, they need to stop with this fake news clickbait style and ramping up of non events. No wonder younger people are opting for Netflix, Amazon prime etc..

What don’t you understand about the warning? 6pm-6am is the orange warning time. You are writing it off here now because its 5:42pm and a bit breezy....

I feel for you man, we are in an orange warning area and were told yesterday to make sure we are home by 6 - that’s just a company being considerate but your place sound like assholes. You “should” be ok traveling motorways apart from the cross winds, but as previous poster said avoid back roads if you can. It’s very likely trees will fall given the ground saturation at the moment.

Are you seriously suggesting a total shutdown every time there is an orange warning. Close schools, cancel non urgent hospital ops, shops closed, close airports, pay everybody who can't get to work?

Totally unworkable.

Each to their own. It gives enough weather information to do what you've done. As I've already said I think they are overused, often far too wide in their predicted effect and a lot of the time they just describe normal weather at particular times of the year.

Maybe they need a simple level called “Not Dublin”, so the whingers can all take their heads out of their assholes and stop complaining about something they won’t see anything out of? The current system is a bit too complex for them to understand it seems.

• Advertisement

A lot more of that to come yet.

There won’t be a kettle boiled in the west come morning.

The wind is whipping mad here now
    Chimney howling like a soon to be released Irish wolf

oh yes there will! My trusty gas cooker...;)

Does this ….. intruder not have a volume control? Some of us would like to sleep.. banging at the window and banshee wailing..

Advertisement