Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

m17 wrote: »
    Westport 03/10/19
    VtrqSiT.jpg

Looks like that tree had already been uprooted and moved there, the roots look finely cut. If so, it was always falling over with a bit of wind and no real root system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

YFlyer wrote: »
    Calm in Limerick city.

Yeah in Limerick myself wet and grant really...but a few stores are closed early in the Cresent due to the "Storm"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

can anyone clarify what gerry murphy said on the afternoon show on RTE ONE,

something about leitrim and roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Met Eireann employees seeking media attention, an all too willing media, and people who have grown up fearful and anxious have all led to a weather warning system that is not fit for purpose. I remember winter after winter when I was a nipper watching the weatherman on TV using his pointy stick to tell us to expect strong gales. I do not remember my father ever getting a day of work as a consequence or ever missing a day from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Maybe they need a simple level called “Not Dublin”, so the whingers can all take their heads out of their assholes and stop complaining about something they won’t see anything out of?
    It's more about how they pitch the warnings and where they determine their effect. This one has not been helped by the extreme advance warning and it being a hurricane to start off with, never mind the wild media coverage of it. Even on this thread very few bar Grace have seen much evidence of the thing. One might call it the Ophelia Effect for a lot of people. It may cause problems or it may be just fairly normal winter weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Yeah in Limerick myself wet and grant really...but a few stores are closed early in the Cresent due to the "Storm"
    The trees arent even blowing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Will there be any snow with this storm? Freezing out Dublin bay south

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

So this is where they throw all the rejects that disrupt the main storm thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hooter23 wrote: »
    So this is where they throw all the rejects that disrupt the main storm thread;)

Yeah somehow lumped in with after hours morons aswell, you can take my place. I'm out of this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

https://blackfield.com/webcam/

For those oddballs who want a live stream off the situation on the west coast (while its still bright)

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting a total shutdown every time there is an orange warning. Close schools, cancel non urgent hospital ops, shops closed, close airports, pay everybody who can't get to work?

Totally unworkable.

Can we keep Money’s row about shutting down in the chat thread?

To the rest of ye, I appreciate the “should be fine”, but it’s my light car in the wind I’m worried about. That’s why I’m looking at windspeeds. I need an over-under number.

Update: those concerned about long journeys are being allowed leave early. Unpaid, but I don’t mind. Looking at the conditions coming up now, happy to stick it out for a bit before I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

things would want to get very serious in the next 60 seconds.

The trees arent even blowing yet

I know, it's absolutely bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭freesia1

Very calm in Dublin 7 at the moment. Could this be the calm before the storm. !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Looks like that tree had already been uprooted and moved there, the roots look finely cut. If so, it was always falling over with a bit of wind and no real root system.

can trees of that size be moved? I doubt it. And why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Starting to pick up in Galway. Could be wishful thinking though. Breezy but no rain.

Latest situation.

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/meteorologists-commentary
    At 6pm, the orange level wind warning for western coastal counties of Galway, Mayo, Clare, Kerry and Limerick will come into operation, and the yellow wind warning will become confined to Sligo, Leitrim, Cork, Waterford, Tipperary and Wexford.

pauldry wrote: »
    50knots still seems the highest gust so far

Belmullet hit 49knots just now

A tame affair so far. Wel see what night brings

nothing tame out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Can we keep Money’s row about shutting down in the chat thread?

To the rest of ye, I appreciate the “should be fine”, but it’s my light car in the wind I’m worried about. That’s why I’m looking at windspeeds. I need an over-under number.

Update: those concerned about long journeys are being allowed leave early. Unpaid, but I don’t mind. Looking at the conditions coming up now, happy to stick it out for a bit before I go.

So you are going to take some number off a complete stranger on the internet and make your decision on that. Okaay.

PS this is the chat thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

On the coast, Donegal, maybe peaked at 30 knots, over and done with.

Whole lot of hype over nothing, yet again.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

323 wrote: »

Whole lot of hype over nothing, yet again.

6-6am.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

https://blackfield.com/webcam/

For those oddballs who want a live stream off the situation on the west coast (while its still bright)

bridie forgot to bring in the washing there.:D:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

323 wrote: »

Storm has not arrived yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Graces7 wrote: »
    nothing tame out here.

How is it out on the island?

bridie forgot to bring in the washing there.:D:D:D

But there's great drying out there tho

It depends where you live.
    I’m in Galway and you wouldn’t be going out walking here now and it’s promised worse.

same out here. These folk are out of touch with reality. I had to go out and check the gate a while ago and it was a struggle getting there and back
    could hardly get the door open to get back in

west mayo offshore island

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Storm has not arrived yet.
    Donegal doesn't look like it'll be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What a waste of a good storm if it’s only gonna be here while we are all asleep in bed. It reminds me a bit of the Super Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

That's mad. Maybe business in the city centre would benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,528 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Not sure too bad in Galway city atm.

Advertisement