Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

endainoz wrote: »
    Yeah somehow lumped in with after hours morons aswell, you can take my place. I'm out of this one!

What exactly are you expecting from this thread?

It has been designated for chat, with the technical aspects being discussed in the other.

You can't expect every member of boards to rock up with a weather chart, these are real people discussing their experiences of this storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Graces7 wrote: »
    same out here. These folk are out of touch with reality. I had to go out and check the gate a while ago and it was a struggle getting there and back
    could hardly get the door open to get back in

west mayo offshore island

Stay safe out there and stay indoors if you can. I enjoy your posts here but I would not fancy being where you are this evening - how far offshore are you? Highest winds seem to be sustained off the coast around the islands tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I see Tipp, Cork and Waterford are off yellow alert on the latest map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

What don’t you understand about the warning? 6pm-6am is the orange warning time. You are writing it off here now because its 5:42pm and a bit breezy....

I understand clearly what the warning is. I've gathered that from the more intelligent posters you may have seen with knowledge of weather systems who have shared their expertise here. I also understand not to take any notice of some halfwit with a microphone who's only brief is to ramp the agenda of their employer, not to seriously advise those who aren't capable of distinguishing between either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I said a few days ago about how so many people were larping and fantasizing about fearsome winds, howling storms, epic floods, battening down the hatches, bravely trying to keep hopes up, knowing that with this storm only the strongest would survive.... proven right. And that I excepted a small breeze.

I'm just back from the shops and god you couldn't even call it a breeze! It's the calmest day, hardly a whisper, you can scarcely feel anything at all. Literally everyone was out and about as normal, if anything I saw more people walking the dogs right now than on a sunny day. Old people, young people, all taking a **** on the big warnings because they heard it all before and it never turns out bad. The fearsome Lorenzo... what a joke! yeah like I know the main of it hasn't hit yet but there's literally nothing at all.

YOU WILL HAVE TO SPEAK UP , YOUNG PERSON! Lorenzo is howling and shrieking and throwing cold water at the windows so I can hardly hear myself think! and this is to go on all night here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Teresa mannion playing a blinder again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

In Sligo at the mo, a bit of drizzle, a little wind, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. We're in the yellow warning area.

These weather warnings are getting a little tiresome, I have lost count of the catastrophes that have been predicted that have not actually happened.

Two events I had been planning to go to tonight have been cancelled because of "fear of people's safety". It's a normal autumn day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Mannion giving it welly on the news now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Varta wrote: »
    Met Eireann employees seeking media attention, an all too willing media, and people who have grown up fearful and anxious have all led to a weather warning system that is not fit for purpose. I remember winter after winter when I was a nipper watching the weatherman on TV using his pointy stick to tell us to expect strong gales. I do not remember my father ever getting a day of work as a consequence or ever missing a day from school.

Tell that to the people who have died in storms here in the past because they had to turn up to work.

The emphasis on safety at work has improved massively and people shouldn't be in danger at work these days. The same goes that they shouldn't be in danger getting to work/school either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The weather on teh Aran islands is bi-lingual.

• Advertisement

UsBus wrote: »
    I understand clearly what the warning is. I've gathered that from the more intelligent posters you may have seen with knowledge of weather systems who have shared their expertise here. I also understand not to take any notice of some halfwit with a microphone who's only brief is to ramp the agenda of their employer, not to seriously advise those who aren't capable of distinguishing between either.

Dunno what the **** you are rambling on about here, would you mind clarifying? Where are you exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

SeaFields wrote: »
    Teresa mannion playing a blinder again.

Had to laugh when she said the prom is closed yet there were cars parked and driving past her

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

easypazz wrote: »
    Mannion giving it welly on the news now.
    Pah, that's a breeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Had to laugh when she said the prom is closed yet there were cars parked and driving past her

Is a promenade not where people walk not where cars drive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

Graces, do you think you're a bit more sheltered where you are than some other parts of the Mayo coast that would be fully exposed to the Atlantic?

I'm guessing that the winds will be just as high, but do you expect your island to be impacted by the storm surge?

fisgon wrote: »
    In Sligo at the mo, a bit of drizzle, a little wind, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. We're in the yellow warning area.

These weather warnings are getting a little tiresome, I have lost count of the catastrophes that have been predicted that have not actually happened.

Two events I had been planning to go to tonight have been cancelled because of "fear of people's safety". It's a normal autumn day!

Must be great to live in a simple black and white world where subtlety of thought is entirely absent.

YOU WILL HAVE TO SPEAK UP , YOUNG PERSON! Lorenzo is howling and shrieking and throwing cold water at the windows so I can hardly hear myself think! and this is to go on all night here

Ah would you stop. If you live on the west coast that's nothing unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

are u in the same general area that webcam is ??

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Is a promenade not where people walk not where cars drive

Not in Galway where up is down, right is left, women are men and men are women, and the wind blows from the ground up

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Teresa mannion ranting about the strong winds as she stands on beach in salthill , yet the seaweed in the background is barely moving .
    She loves the bit of drama .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Must be great to live in a simple black and white world where subtlety of thought is entirely absent.

?????

No idea what this is trying to say....

Stay safe out there and stay indoors if you can. I enjoy your posts here but I would not fancy being where you are this evening - how far offshore are you? Highest winds seem to be sustained off the coast around the islands tonight.

Oh I am not budging from my warm bed tonight now! Nor are my cats.. Lorenzo can huff and puff as he likes! And yes, in the hot zone here. Life out here is an adventure and a sheer miracle . Keeps me young!

and yes the sheer power of it all. Nothing we can do to tame it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Look, lots of frail and elderly people like the Bingo so it's hardly a shock they've postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

YFlyer wrote: »
    That's mad. Maybe business in the city centre would benefit.

Town closes at 6 on Thursday for the most part. I'm in work till 7 tho👎 but not customer facing tonightðŸ‘

Tell that to the people who have died in storms here in the past because they had to turn up to work.

The emphasis on safety at work has improved massively and people shouldn't be in danger at work these days. The same goes that they shouldn't be in danger getting to work/school either.

Ah stop. If that's the case nobody should be expected to go to work or school anymore because they put their lives in danger of being killed in a car crash every single day trying to get there.

?????

No idea what this is trying to say....

You are saying that because the wind isn't very strong where you are and events shouldn't have been cancelled. You are not thinking of the subtlety of the situation where the forecasters have to forecast on possibilities not on certainties.

There was/is the potential for severe weather where you are so it is better to act like there will be instead of not doing so and people getting hurt.

Laurali wrote: »
    How is it out on the island?

LOUD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Dunno what the **** you are rambling on about here, would you mind clarifying? Where are you exactly?

No I didn't think you would..ignorance is bliss I believe. Stay safe in the storm out there & watch out for the mind your head signs...

easypazz wrote: »
    Ah stop. If that's the case nobody should be expected to go to work or school anymore because they put their lives in danger of being killed in a car crash every single day trying to get there.

No that is a reasonable risk - whatabout answer and the roads are a lot safer now as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

People have been spotted in the water both today and yesterday. Don't take risks on treacherous roads

Advertisement