Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

are u in the same general area that webcam is ??

The webcam is in Achill. While an island it's not really off shore it's got a bridge.

Grace is probably on an island with boat only access and there is a few populated islands like that off mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Going by sat24 Id say it will fairly pick up here in Westport in 30/45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

There was/is the potential for severe weather where you are so the it is better to act like there will be instead of not doing so and people getting hurt.

What's going to happen - or what is already happening - is that these weather warnings are losing all credibility - they have become meaningless.

The forecasters are so paranoid about being blamed for not predicting bad weather that they are constantly erring on the side of caution - causing half the country to panic over nothing.

Eventually there will actually be a serious weather event and people will ignore the warnings because they have been so used to the worthlessness of the yellow and orange warnings. The forecaster who cried wolf....

Going by sat24 Id say it will fairly pick up here in Westport in 30/45 minutes.

Sadly sat24 is about to be put out of action from the arrival of the pitch darkness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The reporters on 6-One news were struggling to make a story out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

No that is a reasonable risk - whatabout answer and the roads are a lot safer now as well

naturally cause there is no cars on it & even the sun is out where i am & hardly any wind & we are suppose to be in an orange warning then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

fisgon wrote: »
    What's going to happen - or what is already happening - is that these weather warnings are losing all credibility - they have become meaningless.

The forecasters are so paranoid about being blamed for not predicting bad weather that they are constantly erring on the side of caution - causing half the country to panic over nothing.

Eventually there will actually be a serious weather event and people will ignore the warnings because they have been so used to the worthlessness of the yellow and orange warnings. The forecaster who cried wolf....

These posts are getting boring tbh, I dont know why Im even replying. But, what have they done wrong in this case so far? People are getting so mixed up with Met Eireann/reputable Forecasters and media hype cr*p and cannot seem to differentiate between the two....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

fisgon wrote: »

The forecaster who cried wolf is the one who reds everything that comes. The orange and yellow status areas will likely deliver the wind gusts you'd expect from those warnings. Only thing I'd change is the wind speeds in each colour slightly to make them slightly less common which probably would still produce the orange wind speeds in the areas pegged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

irishgeo wrote: »
    Sadly sat24 is about to be put out of action from the arrival of the pitch darkness.

Only if you are looking at the visual. Go to IR. That works in the dark and is clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

UsBus wrote: »
    No I didn't think you would..ignorance is bliss I believe. Stay safe in the storm out there & watch out for the mind your head signs...

Still no clearer what you are on about, and it appears neither do you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

No that is a reasonable risk - whatabout answer and the roads are a lot safer now as well

Roads around me are same as they were 20 years ago, but way more traffic. So far more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

m17 wrote: »
    Westport 03/10/19
    VtrqSiT.jpg

My comment about this tree was moved to the chat discussion because it wasn't technical but the photo of the fallen tree remains..

People are getting well confused. The initial warning for the first wave of wind and rain generated the orange warning has passed for most of the country. That was the initial wind and rain today.

The passing of the storm tonight is going hit North Western counties worst. Winds while high for the rest of the country probably aren't going to reach warning levels.

Rain warnings are still in effect for the whole country.

That's my reading of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What is with people who are dismissing this storm before it has even made landfall ? Surely people can understand the need to warn people and keep people safe before the sea becomes a danger ?

dsmythy wrote: »
    The forecaster who cried wolf is the one who reds everything that comes. The orange and yellow status areas will likely deliver the wind gusts you'd expect from those warnings. Only thing I'd change is the wind speeds in each colour slightly to make them slightly less common which probably would still produce the orange wind speeds in the areas pegged.

I AM SUPPOSED TO BE IN AN ORANGE ALERT AREA & wind is hardly moving & even the sun was out. (sorry capslock was on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

easypazz wrote: »
    Roads around me are same as they were 20 years ago, but way more traffic. So far more dangerous.

Boring and off topic debate- my turn :D- but cars are a lot safer these days, less drink driving

The reporters on 6-One news were struggling to make a story out of this.

RTE news look gutted that its turning into a flop.

Hypocrites too. Standing along the coast telling us not to stand along the coast...……….

I AM SUPPOSED TO BE IN AN ORANGE ALERT AREA & wind is hardly moving & even the sun was out. (sorry capslock was on)

It's only half six. The warning us running until 6am

RTE news look gutted that its turning into a flop.

Hypocrites too. Standing along the coast telling us not to stand along the coast...……….

How is it turning in to a flop when the orange warning is in effect 40 mins now and has another 11 hours 20 mins to go????

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What is with people who are dismissing this storm before it has even made landfall ? Surely people can understand the need to warn people and keep people safe before the sea becomes a danger ?

The sea only effects a tiny part of the orange alert area.

Its trees down and power cuts that would be a bigger issue. And I can't see much of that happening in the Limerick and Kerry orange alert areas.

• Advertisement

The sea only effects a tiny part of the orange alert area.

Its trees down and power cuts that would be a bigger issue. And I can't see much of that happening in the Limerick and Kerry orange alert areas.

You’d be surprised, ground saturation makes it lot easier for posts and trees to fall over in strong winds.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Not if they are just scare mongering (like if u cut your hand & the doctor said we might have to amputate that & u have only a minor cut.) thats what they are doing sometimes with the weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yeah orange alert here and dead calm right now but looking at hourly forecasts it won't kick off properly until midnight and then it will pretty much rage through the small hours of the morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nice sunny evening out there.
    Little bit of a breeze.

We could do with more of these hurricanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Started at 6pm the warning. It depends where exactly you are too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jasus RTE really have feck all else to talk about this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

GooglePlus wrote: »
    My comment about this tree was moved to the chat discussion because it wasn't technical but the photo of the fallen tree remains..

The tree did, technically, fall over.

How is it turning in to a flop when the orange warning is in effect 40 mins now and has another 11 hours 20 mins to go????

that will be up the other end of the country by then up the north end of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Will there be an orange warning in Dublin 4 later tonight please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looking at the visible satellite...

It's still off the west coast?
    Did it not track inland at all?

Advertisement