Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

nmacu wrote: »
    I hope that the media realise that this fear mongering is probably causing more harm than this fairly average storm. I'm in Galway and am getting texts from elderly relatives in Dublin that they're praying for us ... FFS ... it's obvious that the RTE newsroom are raging that this didn't go red.

In all the official and social media commentary on this non-event there is a serious side.
    I have no problem with giving advance warning of potentially major weather events.
    I have no problem with making preparations for potentially dangerous conditions.
    What I have a problem with is the failure to inform the public when it becomes clear that the danger is minimal or non-existent. Media and government organisations just continue with unnecessary hype and pretence simply to justify the 'investment' that they made in the response to the original predictions.
    Met Eireann are also to blame with their silly colour coded warnings and even sillier giving names to what are no more than routine Atlantic depressions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Hooter23 wrote: »
    She said "Wnds of 100mph" see people still dont know the diiference between kmph and mph...what a joke of a programme lol :rolleyes:

The local paper here (Limerick Leader) said we were getting 250MPH/~400KPH winds! They even doubled down on this by demonstrating an example of 74mph being 120kph which is the speed on a motorway :D 2+2 is 5 quick maths

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

sugarman wrote: »
    What fear mongering? Weather changes, its unpredictable to an extent. It wasnt known if it was really going to hit us or not until a few hours ago. Luckly it didnt.

Is it scare mongering when theres hurricane warnings in Florida and they end up not hitting? No. Its public being warned in advanced in case it does.

Obviously a lot less extreme here, but imagine there was no warning and everyone was going about their business getting caught out.. there would be uproar about no warning! You cant win.
    I'm not questioning ME's here but are you seriously suggesting that RTÉ have handled this with balance? Have you been following RTÉ's coverage and most of the rest of the media? Older people take what the likes of George Lee has been spouting as gospel. Do you think that his delivery was reflective of what Met Éireann were forecasting? We have a number of orange warnings here every year and sure, people need to take these warning seriously ... but why did this one warrant a week's worth of headline news ... it seems to me that they cynically jumped on the word "hurricane" and decided to go massive on it irrespective of what the forecasters were reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In all the official and social media commentary on this non-event there is a serious side.
    I have no problem with giving advance warning of potentially major weather events.
    I have no problem with making preparations for potentially dangerous conditions.
    What I have a problem with is the failure to inform the public when it becomes clear that the danger is minimal or non-existent. Media and government organisations just continue with unnecessary hype and pretence simply to justify the 'investment' that they made in the response to the original predictions.
    Met Eireann are also to blame with their silly colour coded warnings and even sillier giving names to what are no more than routine Atlantic depressions.

I think that’s it nail on the head, they’ve invested so much in it that by backing down and saying actually there’s nothing to worry about folks after whipping up the country into a frenzy is not a good look and is serious egg on their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hooter23 wrote: »
    She said "Wnds of 100mph" see people still dont know the diiference between kmph and mph...what a joke of a programme lol :rolleyes:

Gerry Murphy didnt even bother to correct her, I'd say he couldn't wait to get off air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Stand your ground Gerry.

Met Eireann do great work.

I wouldn't blame them a bit. The problem is the disconnect between them and most other media. My day was ruined by listening to utter crap from people. My actual work performance was below what it usually is due to baloney spouted by colleagues.:(

It worries me that some people fail to be able to read an official forecast - one that early today clearly explained the situation and higher risk areas. My daughters school acted like feckin arseholes today, despite me knowing at 8am this morning what the weather situation would be locally.

Drama drama drama:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kite surfer having to be rescued on Wexford coast and people swimming in the sea in Galway after all the warnings???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What we really need is a version of the UK COBR
    Something like SWARM -Some Wind and Rain Maybe
    Something the reporters can really get their teeth into

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Most worrying thing is who will take them seriously next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I think that’s it nail on the head, they’ve invested so much in it that by backing down and saying actually there’s nothing to worry about folks after whipping up the country into a frenzy is not a good look and is serious egg on their face.

Gerry Murphy did a bit of backtracking on the 9:00 news. Basically admitted that outside of the 5 Orange warning counties - its pretty much a regular breezy autumn night.

He looked quite uncomfortable saying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

NIMAN wrote: »
    Dee Forbes, have a look at all those reporters, news crews, camera men etc sent out tonight around the country to report a non event.
    How many hotel roomts are booked now tonight by Rte to put them all up?
    And she's asking us for more money for their debts.

The cynic in me said they were hoping for a major event to match their major coverage... cue demand for licence fee increase because the public relied on rte for news during a crisis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Kite surfer having to be rescued on Wexford coast and people swimming in the sea in Galway after all the warnings???

Darwinism. We should really leave these fcukers there and not risk anyone elses lives

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Gerry Murphy did a bit of backtracking on the 9:00 news. Basically admitted that outside of the 5 Orange warning counties - its pretty much a regular breezy autumn night.

He looked quite uncomfortable saying it.

He wasnt backtracking. He said the same in the 6 news and met eireann have been consistent in saying this would be a west coast event for a few days now. RTE's desperation to hype things up is to blame, not met eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Bens Surf Shop says all his stock was destroyed in 2014 becauce it got wet lol !

Where were 123.ie when Ben needed them.......:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So forget about reporting real news.
    That makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Speak Now wrote: »
    Gerry Murphy didnt even bother to correct her, I'd say he couldn't wait to get off air.

Tv presenters and media are seriously stupid why cant they just listen to what they are saying...they are so stupid he just couldnt be bothered to even correct her anymore...he should have just slapped her:mad:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just watched that RTE Primetime. What rubbish and what a waste of public money. The cynic in me says that the hype about this storm is to soften the blow for a 5c-10c hike in carbon taxes on road fuel next Tuesday - sure Miriam even announced that their next big show is to discuss the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Is it actually going to cross Ireland from West to East or just piss off towards Greenland?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Are/when are we expecting the worst winds to hit the Dublin area?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No sign of Lorenzo down here in Ballincollig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Storm, what Storm.
    Seems every time it's breezy out the whole of Ireland has a hissy fit.

https://twitter.com/Malaecah267/status/1179602517698711554

Windy in Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Darwinism. We should really leave these fcukers there and not risk anyone elses lives

What has this to do with technical discussion? There’s a chat thread for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

6 wrote: »
    Starting to get windy here in Galway. Gusts probably not far off 90kph, and will probably hit 120kph at 2/3am.

Gusting 90? :eek:

Jaysus I take you are a lot closer to Mace Head than Ballinasloe!

Low 30s here in E. Clare and gusting 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

NIMAN wrote: »
    So forget about reporting real news.
    That makes sense.

Reporting real news is reporting things that have actually happened, not reporting things that you expected to happen, but didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Calmest night ever, I would have expected even a light breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is it actually going to cross Ireland from West to East or just piss off towards Greenland?!

It's going to move over our north coast and then just die out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

We arent under any warning..

we were yesterday - and as a result companies took precautions.. all for nothing..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Shambles from Rte. George lee needs a good kick in the ballix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd forgotten about this,so I'm watching it on +1 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

I remember back around the time of Ophelia, we weren't affected in Mayo, but a couple of weeks after it, we had the worst storm, huge trees blowing like flags, even by my standards it was very scary....and not a pip from the national media about it that evening.

Advertisement