Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

topper75 wrote: »
    It's going to move over our north coast and then just die out completely.

Calm here on the north coast at minute and no wind forecast until 7 in the morning and then nothing severe looking. Lorenzo might of got lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Met Eireann has done nothing wrong, they only issued an yellow advisory for most the country. The orange warnings just for coastal areas that may have had the potential for stronger gusts.

Its the media that has over hyped this event up and people loosing the run of themselves because they heard the words hurricane and Ireland together.

Sorry but the yellow warning was absolutely not required in most of the country. If it was, there'd be 30 or 40 yellow warnings a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

To me it will turn out like the lad that called wolf to often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

He wasnt backtracking. He said the same in the 6 news and met eireann have been consistent in saying this would be a west coast event for a few days now. RTE's desperation to hype things up is to blame, not met eireann.

Cork was included originally. There has been no justification for an orange warning in Clare, Limerick or Kerry that I have seen or heard of.

The coastal surges were nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Can't believe RTE are doing a special programme on this in the morning. Small bit of wind in EAST GALWAY here that it. Scandalous

^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

lleti wrote: »
    Sorry but the yellow warning was absolutely not required in most of the country. If it was, there'd be 30 or 40 yellow warnings a year.

A yellow warning is described as not unusual, locally dangerous conditions on the met eireann website.

The issue here is absolutely with the media, not met eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Danno wrote: »
    Just watched that RTE Primetime. What rubbish and what a waste of public money. The cynic in me says that the hype about this storm is to soften the blow for a 5c-10c hike in carbon taxes on road fuel next Tuesday - sure Miriam even announced that their next big show is to discuss the budget.

This this this ..... it’s part of a bigtime push by Rte, they are even doing a bunch of climate programs right around budget time.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭inajock

A lot of disruption caused

lleti wrote: »

They should have downgraded Limerick to yellow at a minimum. Also Clare and Kerry, although they may all have scraped the requirements for an orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Guys I'm confused. Everyone is joking about how weak the storm is. But is it not due to hit full strength after midnight?
    I do think RTÉs performance in particular is ridiculous but I still think there's plenty to come from this storm.
    The only thing that annoys me is its a relatively standard bad winter storm for the west coast but to justify the nonsense RTÉ will focus on any small bit of damage done tomorrow and hype it up. They are in to deep now. No going back. Storm Special, the prime time guy deployed.

Totally agree. Note how they (RTE) cancelled their reporter who was here in Donegal after the 6 news. Its so calm up here tonight it's laughable what they are doing.

• Advertisement

inajock wrote: »
    A lot of disruption caused

Yeah, I heard the seafront at Lahinch was blocked with all the RTE vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

No wind in Sligo yet but a power of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

More people will die from the hype than the actual storms:rolleyes:

easypazz wrote: »
    Cork was included originally. There has been no justification for an orange warning in Clare, Limerick or Kerry that have seen or heard of.

The coastal surges were nothing out of the ordinary.

Changing a warning to remove areas as a result of updated forecasts isnt backtracking. Its issuing updated information in like with up to date information. The warning for the other counties you mention is still in effect until 6am.

Met eireann have consistently updated their forecasts in line with the information they have. It's not their fault RTE have been trying to hype this beyond belief. Weather forecasting is never an exact science.

Can't believe RTE are doing a special programme on this in the morning. Small bit of wind in EAST GALWAY here that it. Scandalous

2 hours later you are now reporting “extreme gusts”
    Scandalous ......

Extreme gusts of wind now in Galway.

Big change from 2 hours ago so when you called the forecast “scandalous”?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

492227.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Businesses throughout the country should be looking to sue RTÉ for loss of earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Has there ever been a cat 5 storm that hit ireland before? I know it's not a cat 5 now but has a system that used to be a cat 5 and downgraded ever made its way here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The ESB grid graphic shows very little activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Some posters on this thread are like stroppy teenagers sulking because adults are trying to keep them safe

Changing a warning to remove areas as a result of updated forecasts isnt backtracking. Its issuing updated information in like with up to date information. The warning for the other counties you mention is still in effect until 6am.

Met eireann have consistently updated their forecasts in line with the information they have. It's not their fault RTE have been trying to hype this beyond belief. Weather forecasting is never an exact science.

How have they? I've seen or heard no evidence to suggest Clare, Limerick or Kerry have achieved the criteria for an orange warning?

In particular Met Eireann said:

Storm surges will produce coastal flooding and damage.

Has there been any flooding or damage of note? High tide has passed so the risk has subsided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Businesses throughout the country should be looking to sue RTÉ for loss of earnings.

Why ? If people could actually read warnings, know that the forecasts can change. I have a few mates working in Dublin from home tomorrow yet Dublin was never an orange warning and never looked like getting one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It really does feel like an RTE/ Government agenda to hype up "climate change" ahead of the Budget,so that Pascal can screw us further with carbon tax.They got an opportunity to jump on a Hurricane that was thousands of kilometres from Ireland,but happened to be on a track towards us and hyped it literally out of existence.Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Strong enough wind here in Galway but whats freaking me out is the amount of people on here watching RTE!! FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Shocking journalism and reporting all round. Click bait followed by senior reportes actually on the tv getting hard at the thought of a storm that was never going to have any impact on most of country. No need for any warnings at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

piplip87 wrote: »
    Why ? If people could actually read warnings, know that the forecasts can change. I have a few mates working in Dublin from home tomorrow yet Dublin was never an orange warning and never looked like getting one ?

Don't feed the troll. The same poster posted about the Ireland/Russia rugby game being played indoors because of storm lorenzo, the game that was played in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In all seriousness, this is going to be a big issue in future

Social media followers will be badgering their employers for time off everytime there are warnings issued, but after debacles like this employers won't be too fond of listening to them.

easypazz wrote: »
    How have they? I've seen or heard no evidence to suggest Clare, Limerick or Kerry have achieved the criteria for an orange warning?

In particular Met Eireann said:

Storm surges will produce coastal flooding and damage.

Has there been any flooding or damage of note? High tide has passed so the risk has subsided.

Maybe they haven't, and wont, reach the orange criteria. That doesnt change the fact that the information available indicated that they would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wind picking up in North Kerry and it's gotten cold.

Advertisement