Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

easypazz wrote: »
    How have they? I've seen or heard no evidence to suggest Clare, Limerick or Kerry have achieved the criteria for an orange warning?

In particular Met Eireann said:

Storm surges will produce coastal flooding and damage.

Has there been any flooding or damage of note? High tide has passed so the risk has subsided.

As someone posted earlier,the tide was gently lapping behind David McCullagh and those he was talking to in Lahinch.There also was no sound of wind.Major fail and major waste of tax and licence payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Some posters on this thread are like stroppy teenagers sulking because adults are trying to keep them safe

Rather than a typical catch-all begrudging comment, could you be more specific and call these 'stroppy teenagers' out?

Reading back through the thread it seems that most posters are commending Met Éireann's coverage while castigating RTÉ's skewing of their forecasting. Is that what your beef is with or what exactly is it?

Your own comment is hardly an exemplar of mature adult debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The tonight show on Tv3/virgin media 1 intro "as the country battens down for Lorenzo are the strong winds actually going to come to pass".

The biggest problem here is when during a disturbed Atlantic pattern occurs and a sneaky low pressure develops,Met eireann will issue warnings and not a one will take heed.
    Met eireann are not to blame on this one, Media, especially RTE on all their media platforms are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Joanna on Virgin media 1 now from met eireann. Knew she would appear somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

MJohnston wrote: »
    What has this to do with technical discussion? There’s a chat thread for this!

This is the chat thread ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ivan looking very pleased with himself on the tonight show after confirmation it doesnt look like this will come to much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Maybe they haven't, and wont, reach the orange criteria. That doesnt change the fact that the information available indicated that they would.

The warning is active until 6am. They could drop the orange warning for at a bare minimum Limerick now, its inland and won't see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Some posters on this thread are like stroppy teenagers sulking because adults are trying to keep them safe

If Eoghan Murphy is trying to keep us safe then we need far more severe warnings than a code red.

Need defcon 8 or some craic if this Wally is going to try to keep a pair of his own socks safe
    never mind anybody else .

Hes as inept as a Queen wasp on Christmas eve

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

The warnings from ME were fairly spot on. It’s just the media that made it out to be doomsday.
    I was wondering why the reports were so sensational but I guess they just have to get viewers etc

Not sure a warning was even needed in Leinster. Weather was worse on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Joanna on the tonight show said " We dodged a bullet" after she went off air Ivan said " fake news"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Here's the story of the hurricane that just seems to have forgot to came talking about it's something RTE shouldn't a done their scare tactics always the never fun.

Bob Dylan better not sue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The warnings from ME were fairly spot on. It’s just the media that made it out to be doomsday.
    I was wondering why the reports were so sensational but I guess they just have to get viewers etc

Well you know these days they have to compete with Trump, Love Island, the Kardashians, they have to spice it up a little or noone would watch.

Thing is this is exactly the sort of toxic situation that causes people to completely ignore warnings in the future. Like how Chernobyl happened - a culture of automatically ignoring protocols or disabling safety procedures without a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

The weather in Laois Monday was absolutely shocking, torrential rain. Far worse than anything today has brought. There's hardly a breeze out there right now. Better safe than sorry I suppose. Always interesting to follow its development nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AloneInTheDark

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Joanna on the tonight show said " We dodged a bullet" after she went off air Ivan said " fake news"
    Bullet dodged by not having her doing the met.ie forecasts leading up to this. She's as bad as the George Lees and others on RTE if not worse for hype.

That sort of sensationalism makes me turn it off.Just one point about Met.Eireann they did extend the Orange warning from 3am tonight to 6am tomorrow morning,so not very spot on there.

Bullet dodged by not having her doing the met.ie forecasts leading up to this. She's as bad as the George Lees and others on RTE if not worse for hype.

Glad herself and Siobhan Ryan were not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Going to bed now but I fully expect to wake up tomorrow morning on the yellow brick road in Australia being chased by a green headed witch and a herd of flying monkeys. Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Farce of a storm. You couldn't fly a kite in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

Just landed in Dublin. Heading to mayo . Should be there for 3ish
    Will report in the morning of any weather events along the way.
    Breezy and dry here ATM.

Here's the story of the hurricane that just seems to have forgot to came talking about it's something RTE shouldn't a done their scare tactics always the never fun.

Bob Dylan better not sue

Here comes the story of the hurricane
    The storm the authorities came to blame
    For something that he never done ...
    He wasn't red but orange
    and thereafter the rhyming wasn't
    Champion of the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

nmacu wrote: »

Bob Dylan better not sue[/

Here comes the story of the hurricane

The storm the authorities came to blame
    For something that he never done ...
    He wasn't red but orange

and thereafter the rhyming wasn't

Champion of the world

Not bad but needs more harmonica

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

I am in Dublin and was expecting even a drop of rain ? Bit of a breeze ? Nothing. I know I am on the east coast but expected even a token prize to back up the hype. To say I am dissapointed is an understatement. I was expecting something.
    Media ****:mad:

Lorenzo's on harmonica!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Question: Has there ever been such a Scheiße storm of media bluff over a NON hurricane storm.

It's October.
    Rain will fall
    Wind will blow
    Temps will drop
    The media will bullship.

A harmonica is a wind instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Agree. Cannot warm to her particular presenting “style”.i always get the feeling it’s more about her than the weather when she’s on tv. She’s full of it.

Cycled home in that uphill, not a bother. Starting to sound windy now but I'm expecting to be able to cycle tomorrow again no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Cycled home in that uphill, not a bother. Starting to sound windy now but I'm expecting to be able to cycle tomorrow again no issue.

Greta would be proud of you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭Jeff2

RTE have some shows setup tomorrow to report on this starting at 7am and onwards.

For anyone interested.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Jeff2 wrote: »
    RTE have some shows setup tomorrow to report on this starting at 7am and onwards.

For anyone interested.
    Did nobody shout stop ?

Advertisement