Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I hate these morning downgrades. You go to bed thinking exciting weather is coming and then you wake up to downgrades. We're well used to it now.

Is it really a downgrade though? Was anything stronger ever really likely or were people just hyping it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Dont Make any unnecessary journeys and certainly don't swim in the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭kerryjack

not looking great now for a lad that wants a few old sheds taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Stunning morning in west Cork. More of this please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How many will swim at the diving boards in salthill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I was talking to a neighbour who works in a supermarket,she was telling me that people were in asking are they open tomorrow.
    I actually blame Facebook,one person sees the word hurricane and goes bananas sharing it on social media then have people following like sheep rather than checking the actual forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Graces got barred from weather for writing a poem.its all kicking off

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

On Newtalk just now they spoke about the warning systems. They said that there will be a general countrywide warning issued but also to tune into warnings from local authorities which will cover specific areas. Also they pointed out that the timing of Lorenzos worst effects will be at a time that lots of people will be already home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'd ban the ones being smartasses to her,lads thinking that they are funny and smart, it's not AH. I wouldn't mind but you won't see them in the weather forum again unless it snows or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

492065.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

The technical thread was only tidied up......a storm in a tea cup, much like this hurricane looks like being.

If your reading this Grace, please keep posting, look forward to your vivid descriptions of the wild and wonderful west coast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I didn't think that Cork would be included in the orange alert. I suppose to cover western areas of the county.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

No one got barred from weather , off topic posts were removed and instructions given as to where posts should be . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I didn't think that Cork would be included in the orange alert. I suppose to cover western areas of the county.

Yeah i’d say coastal areas of cork it could be quite windy but east/north cork shouldn’t be too severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

No one got barred from weather , off topic posts were removed and instructions given as to where posts should be . :rolleyes:

Any chance you could put back up my trampoline for sale post?
    I need it sold by evening.ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

I was talking to a neighbour who works in a supermarket,she was telling me that people were in asking are they open tomorrow.
    I actually blame Facebook,one person sees the word hurricane and goes bananas sharing it on social media then have people following like sheep rather than checking the actual forecast.

Really nobodies fault other than the sheep.

Facebook is rampant with empty vessels. The independent or someone will put a clickbair article up about a hurricane and you'll have thousands of comments of people tagging other people. Empty.Vessels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Any chance you could put back up my trampoline for sale post?
    I need it sold by evening.ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

adverts is your only man for that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

lleti wrote: »

Facebook is rampant with empty vessels. The independent or someone will put a clickbair article up about a hurricane and you'll have thousands of comments of people tagging other people. Empty.Vessels.

THREE WARNINGS issued for ENTIRE COUNTRY as ferocious HURRICANE rapidly approaches Ireland.

The same people seeing these headlines and panicking will be complaining about Met Eireann overhyping in a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

lleti wrote: »

The expectation now when there is any bit of storm hype is a free day off and your employer is expected to pay for it. That's all people care about, the possibility of a free day off.

Weather can never be predicted. Anytime we get a red warning, it’s always last minute.
    I’ll have a look in the morning to see what the actual warning is.

Expecting yellow.

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    The expectation now when there is any bit of storm hype is a free day off and your employer is expected to pay for it. That's all people care about, the possibility of a free day off.

I left my last job because my employer was not sympathetic to weather warnings. He didn’t see why “a bit of wind” would prevent you from being at your desk.

A day off is nice, but I think people are also interested in knowing what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

THREE WARNINGS issued for ENTIRE COUNTRY as ferocious HURRICANE rapidly approaches Ireland.

The same people seeing these headlines and panicking will be complaining about Met Eireann overhyping in a couple of days.

Nearly right :D

THREE WARNINGS issued for ENTIRE COUNTRY as FEROCIOUS HURRICANE rapidly approaches IRELAND. Read our complete SURVIVAL GUIDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone know when High Tide on Galway Bay is going to be within the orange warning window?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

flazio wrote: »
    Anyone know when High Tide on Galway Bay is going to be within the orange warning window?

high tide in galway on thursday is 9.20pm 4.13m with low tide at 3.30am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I left my last job because my employer was not sympathetic to weather warnings. He didn’t see why “a bit of wind” would prevent you from being at your desk.

A day off is nice, but I think people are also interested in knowing what to expect.

If I owned a business in Ballinasloe (for example) when the main storm is hitting Clifden I'd be pretty pissed at being expect to shut up shop for what everybody knows will be a non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Does a red warning legally oblige employers to give a paid day off to employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not. they changed the header on me! literally!

It was not a poem; it was a very detailed assessment of prestorm weather conditions that was relevant unless you are a complete tech addict.

The crazy thing is that the thread is full of nasty comments re forecasters and presenters anyways. Inconsistent .. will probably get banned for asking the mods that!

ah well! dreading the next while out here frankly .. hibernation?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pay your TV licence and they might have the technical capabilities to forecast this is the end and be able to pay Jim Morrisons estate the royalty fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

flazio wrote: »

Have a look at my thread re tides? There are links there that will tell you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

mojesius wrote: »
    I've hired a mini cooper to test out its sub-aquatic capabilities under crashing 15ft waves at Salthill, see you there!

I want to see the video of you catching a perfect tube the full length of Salthill prom.

Advertisement