Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty cabin

Options
  • 01-10-2019 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Liveline today (not Joe Duffy in the chair).

Listener reported a filthy cabin on flight from Dublin to Izmir in Turkey. Rubbish everywhere and scummy toilets. CC apologised to him but they told him that the airline had changed its policy and does not clean aircraft between flights anymore. He also mentioned that he could have travelled to Bodrum instead with another airline for 30 Euro cheaper.

I thought it strange that the name of the airline wasn't mentioned but I am aware that Ryanair doesn't fly to Izmir (only Dalaman and Bodrum).

However, we got more clues. He said it was the only Irish airline that "flies direct to Izmir, that speaks a lot of Irish onboard" and he regularly flies the same airline to Heathrow.

Now I wonder who could that be :)?..and why the name (on this occasion) was not allowed.

You can listen back here. https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21628345

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The gentleman deserves a mention for best 1st world problem aired on Da Liveline in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Sounds like a MARIO sketch🤪go on go on.....terrible Joe📺📺

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Perhaps Aer Lingus is a sponsor or major advertiser and they did not want to rub them the wrong way?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Comhra wrote: »
    The gentleman deserves a mention for best 1st world problem aired on Da Liveline in recent times.
    I don't think you can dismiss the complaint that easily.

When you go onboard any aircraft at the very least you expect it to be clean and have every right to complain if the condition is as was described and the more so where the airline involved is "Ireland's only 4-Star airline".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We flew to Prague last April with aer Lingus from Dublin and the plane was filthy half eaten lunches and empty bottles on seats ,it's like they don't give two fecks anymore it's akin to traveling on Dublin bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I don't think you can dismiss the complaint that easily.

When you go onboard any aircraft at the very least you expect it to be clean and have every right to complain if the condition is as was described and the more so where the airline involved is "Ireland's only 4-Star airline".

I agree it's not good enough, especially for the "4-star airline" concerned and I think a written complaint to the company would have been appropriate but ringing Joe and going on the national airwaves was, I thought, a bit of an over-reaction. He came across as a bit of a moaner, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

It's pretty poor, personally I've never experienced anything but a spotless cabin and I fly regularly enough but it's obviously an issue. I know it was a decision based on faster turn arounds and has yielded good results in that respect but it doesn't look good and isn't how a "4-Star Airline" should present itself. 

It wouldn't be so bad if people weren't such animals! Passengers seem to treat aircraft cabins terribly and have zero respect for the environment they're travelling in, some of the mess left behind is disgusting to be honest. Aer Lingus will need to find a balance between cleaning and on time performance, the shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Have noticed this more and more with EI lately. Most times I get on a plane now there’s rubbish either in the seat pocket or just thrown on the ground that hasn’t been cleaned up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I was told that the recently resigned COO was the instigator of the no cleaning on turnarounds process. The theory was that it improved punctuality and that was more important to the customer than clean cabins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Tenger wrote: »
    I was told that the recently resigned COO was the instigator of the no cleaning on turnarounds process. The theory was that it improved punctuality and that was more important to the customer than clean cabins

My last few EI flights have all been >30 mins late.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you board a dirty aircraft the blame is on the airline.
    No use their saying previous passengers caused the mess.
    You paid for a clean seat and that's what you should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

People are ****in animals. Ye pay to sit on a airplane. Throw yer **** in the bin when the crew go through the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

In view of
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/manners-maketh-japan-frank-mcnally-on-the-unparalleled-politeness-of-tokyo-1.4036660
    I'm wondering if internal flights in Japan ever need a cabin clean :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Noxegon wrote: »
    Tenger wrote: »

My last few EI flights have all been >30 mins late.

In fairness it did yield very positive results during its first summer of operation, it was part of a wider programme aimed at improving on time performance. The airline got tough with outstation handling agents, axed cleaning etc. and it resulted in Aer Lingus placing top for punctuality at Dublin Airport every month of 2016 and comfortably beating the "on time airline" Ryanair.  

The strong performances continued into 2017 but have slipped in the past year or two, congestion at Dublin being a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

...Whereas in the Japanese capital, where 10 million commuters use the Metro daily, nothing notable happens for years on end...

LOL, I guess they haven't been there very long! Because trains being delayed due to "personal injury" (which can mean suicide) are a daily occurrence in Tokyo...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The whole ranking concept for airlines is BS, the airlines pick the staff, the service and the ground staff to support this concept. If you dont participate, you get fe..ckeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

In fairness it did yield very positive results during its first summer of operation, it was part of a wider programme aimed at improving on time performance. The airline got tough with outstation handling agents, axed cleaning etc. and it resulted in Aer Lingus placing top for punctuality at Dublin Airport every month of 2016 and comfortably beating the "on time airline" Ryanair.  

The strong performances continued into 2017 but have slipped in the past year or two, congestion at Dublin being a big problem.

We'll get you there on time, but ignore the mess? We can't do both like.. :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kona wrote:
    People are ****in animals. Ye pay to sit on a airplane. Throw yer **** in the bin when the crew go through the cabin.

This. Sick to death of people not taking responsibility for their own filth.
    Parenting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

I think it's shocking leaving rubbish on your seat on a plane.

The cabin crew go's around at lest 2 times during the flight with a plastic bag to pick up your rubbish so there is no reason to live rubbish around.

However fly Ryanair only time you get a clean plane is the 2st flight in the morning ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

i often take the last flight back from Brussels and by that time the AL plane looks like it hosted a 3 year olds birthday party. Filthy Carpet, mashed crips, rubbish in seats, crumbs all over the place etc.... It is the new normal for AL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

eusap wrote: »
    i often take the last flight back from Brussels and by that time the AL plane looks like it hosted a 3 year olds birthday party. Filthy Carpet, mashed crips, rubbish in seats, crumbs all over the place etc.... It is the new normal for AL

It’s not good enough and they need to compromise somewhere, either every second flight or select proper cleaning for “select routes” that are more notorious than others for messy pax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

For info, EI's aircraft get a deep clean inside and out about every six to eight weeks; that's carpet changes, every seat cushion taken up and the seat structures deep cleaned and quite a few seat covers and cushions replaced and the interior, including all overhead bins and toilets sanitised to professional standards. If you saw the sheer volume of discarded wrappers, dropped food etc that is removed from under the cushions and under the seat base, you'd never fly again. When you think that an average day's work for an airliner means that four or five hundred people pass through that aircraft and leave their waste behind, it's a lot of graft for the cleaners and if the punters want a 25-minute turnaround, then you will get a barely cleaned aircraft, so if someone tips their sticky drink on the floor or soils a seat or leaves a toilet looking like an away day in Calcutta, it adds to the workload and the pax have to be kept waiting while the damage is cleaned up. passengers seem to think that behaviour that they wouldnt dare do at home or in a restaurant is acceptable in an aircraft, such as breaking seat pockets, writing graffitti on window blinds, messing up the toilets, casually dropping all kinds of food and liquids on the floor and mashing it in with their shoes yet expecting the interior to be as clean as a surgery inside a 25 minute turnaround. Not going to happen unless people change their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

I wonder how the cloth seats on the A321LR will fare on short haul sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

They won't last. Expect a change to leather. It survives much longer, is easier to clean, except for chewing gum of all things. When I become dictator for life, I'll ban chewing gum on aircraft on pain of instant death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

kona wrote: »

I was on a flight recently with a well known Irish airline. Cabin crew came through the aisle with the bin and I went to put a magazine in to it. She told me I couldn’t put rubbish in the bin that hasn’t been purchased on the plane. I laughed and she caved and let me bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

faceman wrote: »
    I was on a flight recently with a well known Irish airline. Cabin crew came through the aisle with the bin and I went to put a magazine in to it. She told me I couldn’t put rubbish in the bin that hasn’t been purchased on the plane. I laughed and she caved and let me bin it.

Was she joking? Because that makes no sense on her part.

faceman wrote: »

I think that was probably an attempt at humour

orionm_73 wrote: »
    I wonder how the cloth seats on the A321LR will fare on short haul sectors.

Same way the a330 fabric seats do on short haul sectors

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

kona wrote: »

This. Part of our business involves servicing machinery from home offices. It's large expensive equipment so not the kind of thing your average Joe has sitting at home. Some of the dirt and filth we find attached to items handed over to us beggars belief. How somebody wouldn't be embarrassed to hand it over I'll never know.

A decent percentage of people live in pigsty's and must be oblivious to it. They treat other people's property in a similar manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The airline industry is fascinating as an opportunity to study anthropology. Yeah the airline needs to clean the aircraft but different cultures definitely have different approaches and sadly you can say from flying out of Dublin we don’t have anything near a Japanese “clean the stadium after the match” type of mentality as punters.

That being said, I’ve heard the stories of ME3 crews on certain types of legs into Asia and it’d make you never want to fly again.

Advertisement