Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty cabin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nothing worse than a disgusting filthy plane in my experience. I think some people feel it’s ok to behave like pigs onboard, perhaps airlines need to provide more bins and encourage people to clean up more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

tototoe wrote: »
    Laughable to put the onus on the passenger to keep an aircraft clean, so the airline can have a quick turn around or get there on time.

It's a.complete copout and says more about aerlingus than any passenger

The onus is on the passenger to not be a dirtbird.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Laughable to put the onus on the passenger to keep an aircraft clean, so the airline can have a quick turn around or get there on time.

While I’m tending to side with the “yes they need to provide more cleaning” camp here I don’t think it’s really “laughable” that grown adults could be expected to dispose of their own rubbish. They’re not asking you to get up and hoover the thing, just simply leave it as you found it. There’s a fine for throwing your chewing gum on the street in public, is this policy also laughable because it put the onus on the public to keep the footpaths clean?

kona wrote: »
    The onus is on the passenger to not be a dirtbird.

The onus is on the service provider to offer the service in a presentable state, or else I'll take my cash elsewhere.

Are you genuinely saying that if you went to sit on a plane and there was crumbs and chocolate and empty crisp wrappers all over your seat that you'd be angry at the previous guy for leaving it like that and wouldn't hold the airline responsible in any way?

What if it was a 4 star hotel and there were stains in the bed and on the towels?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They are going around with bags asking for rubbish.

Yes too I would expect an inspection on landing and them to clean as best as they can.

If I’m eating in a McDonalds I don’t just pile my rubbish on the tray and leave it there, I don’t throw it on the floor I take it back to the bin.

On an aircraft I hand my rubbish to the Cabin Crew when they solicit it or take it with me, I don’t just fûck it on the floor or mash it into the seat pocket.

• Advertisement

The onus is on the service provider to offer the service in a presentable state, or else I'll take my cash elsewhere.

Are you genuinely saying that if you went to sit on a plane and there was crumbs and chocolate and empty crisp wrappers all over your seat that you'd be angry at the previous guy for leaving it like that and wouldn't hold the airline responsible in any way?

What if it was a 4 star hotel and there were stains in the bed and on the towels?

Yes i would. When the hell do you think they will get a chance to clean the plane of 200 animals making bits of the place? Suppose you and your 250 notes will be happy so sit around waiting hours for a plane to be cleaned after these cretins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

[quote="Strumms;111432338"

If I’m eating in a McDonalds I don’t just pile my rubbish on the tray and leave it there, I don’t throw it on the floor I take it back to the bin.
    [/quote]

Some people do, some don't. Quite often people do exactly that, just leave it there. Mcdonalds clean their restaurants though if the customers don't. They don't say we're not cleaning it to get you a quicker burger.

It's nonsense from EI not to clean an airplane to get a quicker turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Yes i would. When the hell do you think they will get a chance to clean the plane of 200 animals making bits of the place? Suppose you and your 250 notes will be happy so sit around waiting hours for a plane to be cleaned after these cretins.

You mean like they did back in the old days...?

Some people are animals, that's a fact and there's nothing anybody can do that will change that but no airline (or service provider) should be allowed to hide behind that fact as an excuse for saving money or cutting corners.
    I never asked for a twenty five minute turnround, I don't care if they turn it around in twenty five minutes or two hours and twenty five minutes so long as it's fit for habitation when I get on.
    It's a facile argument anyway, it doesn't add any additional time to the turnround if you do it properly as every airline did in the past and many airlines still do. A small team of cleaners walk through the cabin and clean the obvious mess, it doesn't have to be a deep clean every time but on the rare occasions it might need a deeper clean they should be able to deliver it. The crew can still do the pass(es) through the cabin collecting rubbish and the ground cleaners could do whatever remains.
    I wouldn't accept a dirty table in a restaurant or a dirty hotel room if they tried to absolve themselves of blame by blaming it on the previous guest and I certainly wouldn't accept it on an aircraft.
    I travel quite regularly and often in a suit, I wouldn't sit on a dirty park bench in my suit so I'm not going to sit in a dirty aircraft seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

So not every six weeks then.

Like I said, whatever part of the carpet needs to be removed to be replaced or deep-cleaned outside will be removed. Sometimes, the carpet can be successfully cleaned, off the aircraft and is refitted in the same inspection. Other times, it's sent to an outside firm to be done. We've put in new carpet only to have to replace it within days. It all depends. We hired in 2 A320s from an Italian airline and you could see the floorboards through, it was that threadbare, and the overhead bins were filthy and pax started to complain, until we made it clear that it was not one of ours, just a hire-in and we weren't going to change the carpet because ours didnt match and the Italians wouldn't pay for it. We did clean the bins, as they were caked with a summer of spilt liquids and other substances. The two aircraft had done a tough summer schedule but hadn't bothered their lazy arses to clean them before we got them.

You mean like they did back in the old days...?

Some people are animals, that's a fact and there's nothing anybody can do that will change that but no airline (or service provider) should be allowed to hide behind that fact as an excuse for saving money or cutting corners.
    I never asked for a twenty five minute turnround, I don't care if they turn it around in twenty five minutes or two hours and twenty five minutes so long as it's fit for habitation when I get on.
    It's a facile argument anyway, it doesn't add any additional time to the turnround if you do it properly as every airline did in the past and many airlines still do. A small team of cleaners walk through the cabin and clean the obvious mess, it doesn't have to be a deep clean every time but on the rare occasions it might need a deeper clean they should be able to deliver it. The crew can still do the pass(es) through the cabin collecting rubbish and the ground cleaners could do whatever remains.
    I wouldn't accept a dirty table in a restaurant or a dirty hotel room if they tried to absolve themselves of blame by blaming it on the previous guest and I certainly wouldn't accept it on an aircraft.
    I travel quite regularly and often in a suit, I wouldn't sit on a dirty park bench in my suit so I'm not going to sit in a dirty aircraft seat.

The crew go though the cabin with a bin. Usually before landing. Whats so hard to either throw yer ****e in the bin or hand it to the crew on the way out?.

People shouldnt accept sitting in filth but likewise people creating filth shouldnt be tolerated. A few crisps and boxes are the lighter end of the scale. Ive seen some planes look like long kesh in the 70s after a 5 hour flight. Its a health and a fire hazard.

• Advertisement

People trying to justify this approach by EI are hilarious.

Imagine going into a restaurant and being seated at a table that the cutlery has been taken away but the table hadn't been wiped
    and is covered in crumbs and soup and wine stains because they need a fast turnaround of tables.

Or getting a hotel.room where the sheets hadn't been changed so they could get you into the room quicker.

It's bull crap, and as said earlier it says a lot about EIs current approach.

Why should the passengers coming on to a flight put up with that approach or those standards because the person before them didn't clean the plane, for aer Lingus. Because that's what people are suggesting here. It's Aer Lingus responsibility to present a clean plane to its passengers not the other way around. To suggest otherwise is utter horse manure.

I'm sure it suits Aer Lingus, but that's frankly not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

On Ryanair they come around with the bags immediately after they finish the trolley service which is useless if you're down the back and have only just been served.

Haven't been on an EI flight for a while but can't say I've noticed dirty cabins on other airlines and I'm on about 30 flights so far this year

People trying to justify this approach by EI are hilarious.

Imagine going into a restaurant and being seated at a table that the cutlery has been taken away but the table hadn't been wiped
    and is covered in crumbs and soup and wine stains because they need a fast turnaround of tables.

Or getting a hotel.room where the sheets hadn't been changed so they could get you into the room quicker.

It's bull crap, and as said earlier it says a lot about EIs current approach.

Why should the passengers coming on to a flight put up with that approach or those standards because the person before them didn't clean the plane, for aer Lingus. Because that's what people are suggesting here. It's Aer Lingus responsibility to present a clean plane to its passengers not the other way around. To suggest otherwise is utter horse manure.

I'm sure it suits Aer Lingus, but that's frankly not good enough

Comparing it to a restraunt and a hotel is rediculous. Apples and oragnes stuff. Its comes down to money and time on the ground is Money lost.
    So if people want aircraft to be cleaned on each turnaround or even at every time it comes back, your gunna have to dig deeper and pay more.

If people were able to dispose of their ****e then it makes the whole game easier on everybody. Its also a matter of having some respect for yourself and others. The fact crew actually go through the cabin sometimes more than once with a bin and ask people do they have any rubbish, yet the place is still a disgrace after.
    A few bits here and there is fine, but when you have **** walked into the ground and chocolate smeared all over seats and chewing gum just spat out anywhere its taking the piss really.

Theres a difference between cleaning and people putting their rubbish in a bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Comparing it to a restraunt and a hotel is rediculous. Apples and oragnes stuff. Its comes down to money and time on the ground is Money lost.

It's a perfectly valid comparison. Empty tables don't earn money for restaurants.

So if people want aircraft to be cleaned on each turnaround or even at every time it comes back, your gunna have to dig deeper and pay more.

It's perfectly valid. Do you think restaurants or hotels don't operate on the same terms or tight profit margins.

The arrogance around this is kind of astonishing, but in some ways not surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Do you think restaurants or hotels don't operate on the same terms or tight profit margins.

They categorically do not and you comparing the industries is utterly ridiculous.
    ...I never asked for a twenty five minute turnround, I don't care if they turn it around in twenty five minutes or two hours and twenty five minutes so long as it's fit for habitation when I get on.
    It's a facile argument anyway, it doesn't add any additional time to the turnround if you do it properly as every airline did in the past and many airlines still do.

A small team of cleaners walk through the cabin and clean the obvious mess, it doesn't have to be a deep clean every time but on the rare occasions it might need a deeper clean they should be able to deliver it. The crew can still do the pass(es) through the cabin collecting rubbish and the ground cleaners could do whatever remains..

On the first point unfortunately the likes of FR and low fares airlines have created a market where aircraft utilisation is required to be high (at least operating six sectors per day) which means in crowded skies and in busy airports - turnarounds are under increased pressures. Most competitive airlines have turnarounds less than 45 minutes.

I don't disagree at all with you final point, it's something long asked for in EI to be returned have cleaners board at the back and as the pax move forward begin a thorough walkthrough checking seat pockets, floor area, seat and overhead bins and servicing of toilets. That takes a team of two. To ensure clean tabletops etc you need a third body and that's not happening anytime soon.

EI's aircraft were always well cleaned at outstations by the likes of Iberia etc... it's been a long time since crossed seatbelts were seen in DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Quite simply, if you want it to change, start hitting social media and emailing the CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

One big advantage Ryanair has is that they don't have 189 seat pockets to check for rubbish. I don't know why other airlines bother with them at all. They seem like a useless accessory that actually invites rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mebuntu wrote: »
    One big advantage Ryanair has is that they don't have 189 seat pockets to check for rubbish. I don't know why other airlines bother with them at all. They seem like a useless accessory that actually invites rubbish.

They invite rubbish yes, but they provide comfort and convenience too. You can stow a magazine, iPad, drink and snacks etc all in there and within easy reach whenever you want them without having to have the tray in your lap constantly or rummaging under your seat...

It's perfectly valid. Do you think restaurants or hotels don't operate on the same terms or tight profit margins.

The arrogance around this is kind of astonishing, but in some ways not surprising

No pal a aircraft doesnt operate on the same terms as a hotel.

For **** sake.

• Advertisement

No pal a aircraft doesnt operate on the same terms as a hotel.

For **** sake.

It's exactly the same, it's a service provided to make money.

Are Lingus are just being tight arses and people here as usual can't and won't accept criticism of the airline. The arrogance is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

It's exactly the same, it's a service provided to make money.

Go educate yourself before you comment flippintly. There are much bigger economics involved.

It's exactly the same, it's a service provided to make money. .

Ok juan trippe!

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Go educate yourself before you comment flippintly. There are much bigger economics involved.

You have no idea of my background so you should practise what you preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

The crew go though the cabin with a bin. Usually before landing. Whats so hard to either throw yer ****e in the bin or hand it to the crew on the way out?.

People shouldnt accept sitting in filth but likewise people creating filth shouldnt be tolerated. A few crisps and boxes are the lighter end of the scale. Ive seen some planes look like long kesh in the 70s after a 5 hour flight. Its a health and a fire hazard.

You're conflating the issues, you're suggesting that people shouldn't be too upset at having to put up with a dirty aircraft because a completely different set of people can't be arsed to use the bins provided.

I don't usually generate too much rubbish when I fly but I have no problem handing my rubbish to the crew when they come round or even taking it with me but I'm not going to put up with a dirty seat because someone on a previous flight doesn't feel the same way.

You're conflating the issues, you're suggesting that people shouldn't be too upset at having to put up with a dirty aircraft because a completely different set of people can't be arsed to use the bins provided.

I don't usually generate too much rubbish when I fly but I have no problem handing my rubbish to the crew when they come round or even taking it with me but I'm not going to put up with a dirty seat because someone on a previous flight doesn't feel the same way.

Agreed, hopefully enough formal complaints will be registered and someone with the say in EI will at the very least seek the provision of some kind of quick rubbish pick up on selected routes.

No they should be upset, why should anybody sit in a mess?

Im just making the point that people should throw their **** in the bin when they are asked to if its convienient.

If people want the aircraft cleaned by a cleaner then expect to have a more expensive ticket and longer waits.

Obviously some people think they shouldnt have to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ryanair despite their restrictive rules etc. are a better short haul airline than Aer Lingus, they don't have places for people to stash rubbish in their seats and they do a decent job cleaning the aircraft. Personally I only differentiate between them on price.

Aer Lingus are also shíte on long haul, everything comes at a cost including a beer and AA are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

So if you saw somebody leaving rubbish behind them would you challenge them about it?

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Ryanair despite their restrictive rules etc. are a better short haul airline than Aer Lingus, they don't have places for people to stash rubbish in their seats and they do a decent job cleaning the aircraft. Personally I only differentiate between them on price.

Aer Lingus are also shíte on long haul, everything comes at a cost including a beer and AA are cheaper.

Ryanair have some shockingly dirty cabin floors, what’s not put into the seat pocket is dumped onto the floor, only last week a friend tried to shame them on Facebook over what appeared to be biscuits danced into the carpet. Again quick turns are a priority and no proper cleaning is done only overnight

Advertisement