Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardboard boxes for moving house

Options
  • 01-10-2019 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Apart from getting some from a local supermarket - where would be cheapest / best place to get or buy some cardboard boxes for packing up the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Diceicle wrote: »
    Apart from getting some from a local supermarket - where would be cheapest / best place to get or buy some cardboard boxes for packing up the house?

Ikea

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Banana boxes. Traders in moore st go through dozens in a day between them, but if you need a lot, ask them to hold some for you as they are collected by the street cleaner throughout the day. Some miserable traders will charge you but mostly they are happy to oblige, since they are thrownout anyway. If you have a local street market, ditto, otherwise ask you local aldi or lidl manager early inthe day to save them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

If you're after slightly smaller boxes for more fragile items be sure to check out off licences as well, the boxes loose bottles come in are sturdy.

I've used prosecco boxes in the past and still have them stored away. Some might have dividers which come in handy for glasses as you don't have to individually wrap each glass with a sturdy divider.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Ikea packing boxes are great! Much much better than flimsy supermarket left overs. No comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I know you said 'apart from local supermarket' so forgive me if this is of zero value to you.

Buying boxes, as you've probably seen is very expensive.
    My local lidl get specific shipments on Sundays and Wednesdays meaning they are the best days to get boxes.
    By calling in earlier on the day or the previous day and asking someone to put some aside I got exactly what I wanted.
    Bear in mind what weight you can actually lift when the box is full, there is a fine line between big enough and too big.
    Some big boxes are actually quite weak so be careful of the bottom falling through if over packed.
    Some boxes from super markets have a rectangular opening in the bottom which can be very annoying if packing small items.
    I recently packed up my own place and learnt the above through some trial and error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Also, relatively few things actually need boxes. Clothes for example are much better off in black bin bags

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah argos as mentioned have a pack up the house range.

I found the blue bags you can buy in ikea great for soft stuff, also vacuum packs.

Best of luck... I don't envy you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

TSQ wrote: »
    Banana boxes. Traders in moore st go through dozens in a day between them, but if you need a lot, ask them to hold some for you as they are collected by the street cleaner throughout the day.

Banana boxes have rectangular holes in the centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Dunne Stores , the clothing/household department . The boxes are large and super strong , ideal for delph/pictures/ornaments etc . Basically whatever you choose to pack into them tbh !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

I used boxdepot.ie to get boxes when moving. Lots of choice depending on your requirements. Boxes are typically 2 euro or less and the biggest benefit for us was that we could get a lot of boxes all the same size which was great for medium term storage while we waited for the new house. I also managed to sell on all the boxes once done for practically the same amount I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Caranica wrote: »
    TSQ wrote: »
    Banana boxes. Traders in moore st go through dozens in a day between them, but if you need a lot, ask them to hold some for you as they are collected by the street cleaner throughout the day.

Banana boxes with a bit of light ply.

Just packed the house OP was torture as did it all while loading into cars and trailers. As above lot of stuff went into bags. Clothes, bedclothes in strong refuse bags. Tesco sell large durable ones for gardening and such.

Then the bags for life took anything a bit heavier.
    Finally banana boxes for the whole kitchen.

You'd be surprised how many bags you own too, gym bags etc.

Hardest packing were 2 flatpack wardrobes. Should have just sold them prior. And that brings me to last point. If you have a few weeks yet get rid of everything you're dubious about.

Feels so futile wasting an hour sorting and packing stuff you know will never see the light of day the far end.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Caranica wrote: »

Just put some cardboard on bottom if packing small and/or heavy things. Friends who do markets use them all the time, and re-use them again and again. Very strong, stackable, have cut out handles, and are a handy size for lifting. And once you no longer need them, are totally recyclable.

Advertisement