Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I can't get a job

• 01-10-2019 10:18pm
    Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭

I've been searching for a job for months and I've barely been getting a reply. I got professionals to sort out my CV but still nothing. I'm looking for jobs in many areas, my only requirement is that it's above minimum wage. I've been self employed prior to this. I have no degree but plenty of experience. What are the best websites to search for jobs and are agencies any good? I'm desperate here, thanks for any tips and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Experience in what?

• Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭whatcanidonow

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Experience in what?

Different areas in the past, retail, warehouse but I was self employed in the education sector. I'm looking for anything really. I thought it was meant to be full employment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

In my experience if you want to earn above minimum wage without being qualified in something then the building site is the place to go. You can get experience in a non trade job and get a decent wage out of it after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you looked on LinkedIn and Indeed?

In my experience if you want to earn above minimum wage without being qualified in something then the building site is the place to go. You can get experience in a non trade job and get a decent wage out of it after a while.

How do you get a job on a building site? Haven't seen any online, you have to head down to the site? And can you get permanent contracts when working on the buildings?

• Advertisement

Have you looked on LinkedIn and Indeed?

Honestly didn't know there were jobs advertised on linkedin but I have been on indeed.

Different areas in the past, retail, warehouse but I was self employed in the education sector. I'm looking for anything really. I thought it was meant to be full employment?

It's maybe your different areas thats going against you. Employers think you lose focus and jump to a different industry. That can be a misguided opinion I know, but it happens.

We are not full employment but we are getting close, but that doesn't mean companies will give jobs to just anyone.

You said you had professionals look at your CV but you also said you are looking for anything. What that means, is you have to have multiple CVs for the different jobs you are going for, each accentuating the given required skills.

So, lets say you apply for a job in Subway, then you use your deli experience CV, with your personal details, and the next section is "Relevant experience" detailing your previous deli experience, and the the rest of your experience follows. However, if you apply for a job in woodies, you use your warehousing CV in your relevant experience section, as well as a cover letter mentioning your love of gardening. And so on.

You won't get a job using the one CV and one cover letter while trying to get any kind of job.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jay1988

How do you get a job on a building site? Haven't seen any online, you have to head down to the site? And can you get permanent contracts when working on the buildings?

Speak to your local intreo office about getting a safe pass first of all, after that go to your local jobs or something similar you should see loads of labouring jobs about the place, most would pay between 450-550 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Nobbies

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Experience in what?

That was helpful to op.

It's maybe your different areas thats going against you. Employers think you lose focus and jump to a different industry. That can be a misguided opinion I know, but it happens.

We are not full employment but we are getting close, but that doesn't mean companies will give jobs to just anyone.

You said you had professionals look at your CV but you also said you are looking for anything. What that means, is you have to have multiple CVs for the different jobs you are going for, each accentuating the given required skills.

So, lets say you apply for a job in Subway, then you use your deli experience CV, with your personal details, and the next section is "Relevant experience" detailing your previous deli experience, and the the rest of your experience follows. However, if you apply for a job in woodies, you use your warehousing CV in your relevant experience section, as well as a cover letter mentioning your love of gardening. And so on.

You won't get a job using the one CV and one cover letter while trying to get any kind of job.

Oh yes, I've been trying to tailor my CV's but maybe not enough, good advice and yes, that's been said to me too. My CV shows a few different areas I've worked in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭20/20

How old are you ? What would you expect to earn per annum ?

jay1988 wrote: »
    Speak to your local intreo office about getting a safe pass first of all, after that go to your local jobs or something similar you should see loads of labouring jobs about the place, most would pay between 450-550 a week.

Sounds good. I will do that. Do you know about permanent contracts though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Do the Safe Pass course, it's a basic requirement. If you know anyone in the building game ask them do they know if there is any labouring jobs going.
    You could ask at the sites alright but that could be tough. Also get yourself a pair of steel toe cap safety boots and be willing to work hard.
    Good luck.

20/20 wrote: »
    How old are you ? What would you expect to earn per annum ?

Mid 30's and I was earning around 30k when self employed. Anything around 25k would suit me fine, I'm not after more than that, I just need something permanent.

Do the Safe Pass course, it's a basic requirement. If you know anyone in the building game ask them do they know if there is any labouring jobs going.
    You could ask at the sites alright but that could be tough. Also get yourself a pair of steel toe cap safety boots and be willing to work hard.
    Good luck.

Great, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jay1988

Sounds good. I will do that. Do you know about permanent contracts though?

In my experience construction works a little different than most other sectors, most jobs would be permanent, with the exception of a few casual labouring jobs, all depends how much work the whatever company you ended up with had on.

Seems to be a busy sector at the minute, ive noticed the amount of lads on the dart in the morning in snickers gear etc has increased dramatically compared to say 7 or 8 years ago.

jay1988 wrote: »
    In my experience construction works a little different than most other sectors, most jobs would be permanent, with the exception of a few casual labouring jobs, all depends how much work the whatever company you ended up with had on.

Seems to be a busy sector at the minute, ive noticed the amount of lads on the dart in the morning in snickers gear etc has increased dramatically compared to say 7 or 8 years ago.

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot of questions but it's just I'll be looking to get a mortgage in the near future. Do you mean that you sign a contract straight away when you start that states that you're permanent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Nobbies wrote: »
    That was helpful to op.

No point in giving generic advice if there's something specific the OP is after.

OP if you're interested in construction then look at safepass and any other courses SOLAS are running. Anything trades oriented will seriously increase your chances.
    They do things like carpentry, welding, basic electrical test stuff, definitely worth looking.

Good welders in particular make savage money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot of questions but it's just I'll be looking to get a mortgage in the near future. Do you mean that you sign a contract straight away when you start that states that you're permanent?

If you get a permanent contract it will likely have a probation period of at least 6 months. Regardless, if you haven't income for at least a continuous year you're unlikely to get a mortgage.

Many people who are unemployed apply for short-term contracts in the hope that the contract becomes a permanent job or leads to a permanent job.

Maybe look into a training role? though a lot of times they can be contractor roles.

Why not go for some of the Public sector roles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Places like Lidl and Aldi are always looking for staff and the wage is slightly above min-wage.
    Aldi = 11.70 outside Dublin and 12.20 if working in a Dublin store. While Lidl is 11.90. Depends on how much sales the store makes in regard to how many hours.
    Do either for a few months while you try to get a job else where. They are flexi-time so you can swap shifts easily to do interviews.

You can also spin the narrative of how being self-employed didn't work out but you took Aldi/Lidl to earn a wage while you look to "progress your career" in a chosen field. etc etc. Yadda yadda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you want security for a mortgage I would stay away from building. The sector haemorrhaged jobs in the last recession. With the current economic uncertainty even a permanent construction sector job may not me looked on favorably by lenders.

I'd be looking at civil/public service roles, above CO if possible. Lack of a qualification might hinder you initially but I know people who have been promoted internally very quickly in the past year due to internal competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

That was helpful to op.

I thought it totally fair and constructive question.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 seaniewicklow

Where are you located or wiling to work? Loads of retail jobs going at the moment.

Maybe look into a training role? though a lot of times they can be contractor roles.

Why not go for some of the Public sector roles?

I looked up publicjobs.ie but there's no jobs available that I'd qualify for.

Places like Lidl and Aldi are always looking for staff and the wage is slightly above min-wage.
    Aldi = 11.70 outside Dublin and 12.20 if working in a Dublin store. While Lidl is 11.90. Depends on how much sales the store makes in regard to how many hours.
    Do either for a few months while you try to get a job else where. They are flexi-time so you can swap shifts easily to do interviews.

You can also spin the narrative of how being self-employed didn't work out but you took Aldi/Lidl to earn a wage while you look to "progress your career" in a chosen field. etc etc. Yadda yadda.

That's a good idea.

Caranica wrote: »
    If you want security for a mortgage I would stay away from building. The sector haemorrhaged jobs in the last recession. With the current economic uncertainty even a permanent construction sector job may not me looked on favorably by lenders.

I'd be looking at civil/public service roles, above CO if possible. Lack of a qualification might hinder you initially but I know people who have been promoted internally very quickly in the past year due to internal competitions.

I went through all the jobs. I don't think any CO or EO positions are available at the moment. Not sure when they'll become available.

Where are you located or wiling to work? Loads of retail jobs going at the moment.

But are they 12 euro per hour or above? I'm in Kildare, can travel to Dublin if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 seaniewicklow

But are they 12 euro per hour or above? I'm in Kildare, can travel to Dublin if needed.

Check this out, couple of part and full time jobs. Wages would be discussed at interview etc. but commission on top too

https://www.rezoomo.com/company/synchro/jobs/

• Advertisement

I looked up publicjobs.ie but there's no jobs available that I'd qualify for.

http://kildarewicklow.etb.ie/kwetb-vacancies/

there are 4 jobs going live tomorrow in Kildare with a training/education emphasis:

Adult Literacy Organiser
    Community Education Facilitator
    VTOS Coordinator
    Grade IV

Keep an eye on those and see if you meet the criteria

You said that you are desperate. If i was desperate for a job then i'd work for minimum wage. Beggars can't be choosers as they say. I'm sure something will turn up if you keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

An Bord Pleanála are looking for an Administrative Assistant. Starting wage is 23K but jumps to 25K in year two:

http://www.pleanala.ie/careers/AA%20booklet.pdf

And the Mental Health Commission are looking for Clerical Officers at the same payscale:

https://www.mhcirl.ie/File/mhc_co_CandBooklet.pdf

An Bord Plean are looking for an Administrative Assistant. Starting wage is 23K but jumps to 25K in year two:

They're also looking for EOs, no harm in applying for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I would have thought you'd be fine for a call centre job.
    Have you tried them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

I work for Dixons Carphone. They're looking for store, warehouse and admin staff. Money is good for drivers/ installers.
    https://careers.dixonscarphone.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

I would suggest grabbing a CV and going to some business park, e.g. i work in greenogue business park and there are so many businesses that does logistics, building, hire etc. I’m sure you’d find something if you spent a day

Thanks everyone for the advice and links to jobs. I've applied and am in the process of applying for all the jobs mentioned above. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

keep it up and you will get sorted

- hopefully very soon.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I would have thought you'd be fine for a call centre job.
    Have you tried them?

I haven't seen call centre jobs advertised in a while, I think the bulk of them have been outsourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

You just be the best whatcanidonow you can be. It'll all be fine.

In the meantime find yourself. Do DIY jobs around the house. Go fishing. Go mountain walking and connect with nature. Start going to the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

OP..out of interest what age group are you?..cause im in my 40's can't get a job or even response no matter what.

Read my thread

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057937114/1/#post108854220

frosty123 wrote: »
    OP..out of interest what age group are you?..cause im in my 40's can't get a job or even response no matter what.

Read my thread

You just be the best frosty123 you can be. It'll all be fine.

In the meantime find yourself. Do DIY jobs around the house. Go fishing. Go mountain walking and connect with nature. Start going to the gym.

Would something like working in Dunnes or SuperValu or Penny's do? I know people who are in those places and are quite happy. I think a lot of it is down to who your manager is.

frosty123 wrote: »

Read my thread

First of all, I'm glad I asked for advice here. Could only read the first few pages of that. Not very helpful too you. Yes, barely getting a response. I don't know what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That was helpful to op.

Your were expecting advice given entirely without context or relevance?

An entirely reasonable and appropriate question to ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Looking online will get you nowhere unless you've skills in demand.

Get your CV printed and get knocking on doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

What age are you OP ?

Advertisement