Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or new build

Options
  • 02-10-2019 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,
    Always found you guys so helpful. Time to upgrade or if necessary start from scratch. Pc is only used for gaming and starting to struggle with newer titles.
    Current build = ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.1, i5-2500K, Gtx 970, Samsung Evo ssd, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X, Corsair Gold AX850 Psu,
    Hoping to not spend too much but up too €1000 if needed. Thanks for any help or advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

You can probably keep the PSU, Case, and SSD, but the guts of your system needs replacing.

Get a Ryzen 3600, mobo, 16gb RAM and a 5700XT - probably cost you around €700ish. If you don't want to spend that much the base 5700 is still good enough for 1080p gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£187.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£93.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£72.26 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card (£389.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £744.21
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-02 10:57 BST+0100

As above.
    Hardly seems worth it to downgrade to RX 5700.
    Alternatively get Nvidia RTX 2070 Super (best buy RN: Gigabyte Gaming 3X @ £500). Slightly better performance & drivers than AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Interestingly I built about the same time as you.
    I went with a 2700k and more RAM though but same mobo and PSU!

About 2 years ago I simply upgraded my GPU to a 1070 and that has kept me going fine.
    I'm planning on a rebuild next year hopefully at the end of the year.

I tend to re-deploy old systems rather than re-use after getting 5+ years out of them.
    So my current rig will become a new NAS and VM host leaving no parts available except maybe an SSD.

Always better to replace after a certain age to get a technology uplift (PCIe generation, NVMe support, RAM speed, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Redhood

Thanks everyone. Oc'ing has got me to now so time to tear it apart I think

Advertisement