Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nest thermostat

• 02-10-2019 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭

hi

I have a nest third generation thermostat installed in my house which can control the heating and the hot water on and off. ever since it was installed by electric Ireland the boiler has fired intermittently. the rads don't get warm when it does this and no water is heated in the tank.
    the pump which sits beside the boiler outside is also constantly running and it hot to touch.
    I have had a boiler guy come and look at the boiler but he said it is working fine from that end.
    I have been onto nest numerous times and they sent out a replacement thermostat which didn't fix the problem.

I am kind of at the end of my tether with the whole system and may just get rid of it altogether and maybe get a hive installed instead. however I really don't want to do this because when I had the nest first generation installed it worked perfectly.

does anyone have any suggestions? every single setting that can be switched off its switched off such as auto schedule, legionnaires setting, time to heat etc.

incidentally when I turn off the power directly to the nest, the boiler doesn't fire, so I presume it has to be something to do with the wiring?

edit: electric ireland refuse to come and look at it because the 3 month warranty that they provide has expired

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

What boiler do you have?
    Explain 'fires intermittently' as you see it?

When the boiler if not firing, and the rads are only luke warm, what does Nest indicate, boiler firing? or heat satisfied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

I have a grant vortex and when I say intermittently it fires at random. could be 10 at night or 2 in the morning, there doesn't appear to be a pattern and when it fires it doesn't heat the rads or the water. it literally fires for up to 3 mins at a time.

the nest does not register this in it history.

it is a weird situation, I have had a nest pro from electric Ireland come and look at it and he said it was fine, no issues with wiring etc and google replaced the nest for me and that didn't work either.

I have an electrician coming to trace the wiring to ensure that everything is connected up properly so hopefully that will find something wrong

DGOBS wrote: »
    What boiler do you have?
    Explain 'fires intermittently' as you see it?

When the boiler if not firing, and the rads are only luke warm, what does Nest indicate, boiler firing? or heat satisfied?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Outside those intermittent firings, does the boiler heat the rads when you request it?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

__oc__ wrote: »
    hi

I have a nest third generation thermostat installed in my house which can control the heating and the hot water on and off. ever since it was installed by electric Ireland the boiler has fired intermittently. the rads don't get warm when it does this and no water is heated in the tank.
    the pump which sits beside the boiler outside is also constantly running and it hot to touch.
    I have had a boiler guy come and look at the boiler but he said it is working fine from that end.
    I have been onto nest numerous times and they sent out a replacement thermostat which didn't fix the problem.

I am kind of at the end of my tether with the whole system and may just get rid of it altogether and maybe get a hive installed instead. however I really don't want to do this because when I had the nest first generation installed it worked perfectly.

does anyone have any suggestions? every single setting that can be switched off its switched off such as auto schedule, legionnaires setting, time to heat etc.

incidentally when I turn off the power directly to the nest, the boiler doesn't fire, so I presume it has to be something to do with the wiring?

edit: electric ireland refuse to come and look at it because the 3 month warranty that they provide has expired

There's a setting on the Nest to heat the water to a certain temperature to kill legionaries disease. I'm not at home at the moment to see what the setting is called but try a quick Google to see what you need to turn off on the Nest.

Wearb wrote: »
    Outside those intermittent firings, does the boiler heat the rads when you request it?

it heats the water and the rads when I ask it to and if I put it onto a schedule

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There's a setting on the Nest to heat the water to a certain temperature to kill legionaries disease. I'm not at home at the moment to see what the setting is called but try a quick Google to see what you need to turn off on the Nest.

thanks for that but I have switched that settling off, also have disabled auto schedule and time to heat

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

__oc__ wrote: »
    it heats the water and the rads when I ask it to and if I put it onto a schedule
    Sounds like something in the boiler itself, because when the Nest calls the boiler, it's either for heat or hotwater. Perhaps a faulty frost stat?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Could be a dodgy frost stat?

DGOBS wrote: »
    Could be a dodgy frost stat?

I will ask my boiler guy to have a look at it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ExEmployee

Hi Folks,

New to thread and Nest 3rd Gen Learning Thermostat. This may sound stupid but.....

I have a standard Oil-Fired heating system with radiators just with one zone :
    a run of the mill control unit will heat water when you program it to.....or should you ask it for HEAT - it will automatically heat the water but also turn on the PUMP so as to push the hot water around the radiators.

Am I missing something here as it appears to me (from trying it....) that I need to schedule BOTH the HOT WATER and the HEAT (separately) on the NEST so to get it to heat radiators...??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 CandyWhistles

Hi OC

Did you ever get this issue resolved. Im curious because I am having the exact same issue? Thanks

Hi OC

Did you ever get this issue resolved. Im curious because I am having the exact same issue? Thanks

Hi candywhistles

I got my uncle who is an electrician to have a look at it for me. He traced all of the wires for the heating from the boiler outside to the hot press upstairs and back down to the heating controls. Found absolutely no issues with the wiring but weirdly enough it worked perfectly from then on.
    Then one day it decided not to work so I am back to square one with it which is extremely annoying because I have to leave it switched off at the mains at the moment, only switching it on when I need to heat the water.

What issues are you having?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CandyWhistles

Hi OC

I have 2 Nest 3rd gen thermostats installed.I have never had a single heating issue in my home until I decided to upgrade to the Nest from Electric Ireland. Ok so €99 for each Nest including Installation from Electric Ireland may seem like a great deal but its not really in the long term. I got the first nest installed and a few weeks after I noticed that the pump from my Stove was no longer working. When they came to install the second upstairs nest I made the same installer aware of this and he spent almost a day trying to figure out the issue. A week later I had to get the installer back because the boiler was not firing at all. ( Freezing cold Jan/feb) The installer returned after I asked KN networks to escalate the call. I had to take another unpaid day off work. All the wiring had to be undone and diagrams drawn to resolve this tricky issue with relays from the stove etc. Finally that evening everything seemed fine until the weekend and the water in the hot water cylinder was only luke warm. I didnt light the stove for a few days and the water that was heated at 6pm was only luke warm the next day. This was never an issue before. Again I had to get the installer back and take another unpaid day off work. The new installer could not find anything wrong but reset a thermostat on the cylinder and that resolved the issue. I contacted Electric Ireland to make a complaint by phone but i never heard from them again.

Now my problem is that the boiler is staying on full time at night I have to manually power it off. Electric Ireland are looking to charge me for a callout on a 5 month old Nest.( Fair enough if it was more that 12 months ) I would not recommend this product to anyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Not sure if this is the best forum. I had an old school heating setup in my old house, nothing zoned. I added salus smart controls and was able to split hot water and central heating into separate zones with motorised control valves.

Just into a new (old) house and back where I was, no zones. I bought a 3rd gen nest thermostat this time as I wanted to upgrade from the salus setup but from what I'm reading now, I can't just plug in the nest in the same way that I had the salus in my old house? Do I need another separate nest to control hot water only?

Basic ideal gas boiler.

Hi guys. I really appreciated all the replies.

I did actually find a solution to the issue. It turns out that when the nest 3rd generation was being installed wiring in the main hot press was altered to accommodate it (so my electrician said) so it was wired in such a way that the constant live was going to the boiler.

The electrician switched this to call only and it now works perfectly.

I am beyond relieved as this has been going on for well over two years with various electricians, boiler repair guys, nest and electric ireland all blaming the other for the fault.

Pretty much a simple fix in the end but I’m extremely glad I can now use my heating and nest as intended.

Advertisement