Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating / Re-engaging service provider

Options
  • 02-10-2019 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Hopefully the right forum for a question I have - i'm aware that there are vendors I could ask in the 'talk to' forums, but would rather a 'neutral' answer if possible :)

If you are contracted with ABC Internet for their internet package, but note that they're offering a better deal for new customers, can you terminate your contract with them (within the provisions of said contract, obviously) and then two days later pick up the phone and 're-sign' with them?

Feel free to direct me elsewhere if this is the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In a similar situation we had to change the name on the account in order to be considered a new customer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

As Caranica said, you would need to change the account holders name to be considered a new customer. There's nothing stopping you from wanting to cancel your account and somebody else in your household signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Most have a clause requiring a minimum of 30 days cessation of service before you can return as a "New" customer.
    Easiest way round that is to swap the name on the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Thanks, all. Changing the name might be problematic as I live on my own, and if the 30 day cessation is a thing I'm not sure I can do without internet for the long :)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thanks, all. Changing the name might be problematic as I live on my own, and if the 30 day cessation is a thing I'm not sure I can do without internet for the long :)

Thanks again.

I can't remember if they ask for proof of identity. If not, just make up a name :D.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks again.

Could you get on to their loyalty/cancellations team and tell them you're considering moving your account because of the difference in what they're charging new customers vs what they're charging you.

I did similar and they moved me on to the new customer offer, to keep the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I can't remember if they ask for proof of identity. If not, just make up a name :D.

They do not. You can register as Mickey M. Mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Double check there is no cancellation fee firstly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Double check there is no cancellation fee firstly

I'm well outside the contract term, so i'm on the rolling contract now. I like the service, but the price for a loyal customer v a new customer is scandalous, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks again.

Do you have a "middle" name...?

• Advertisement
Advertisement