Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My local GameStop is closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

CEX are miles better though. They give more trade in credit and the games also cost less, broadly speaking. I think the last time I bought/traded at Gamestop was about 10 years ago. If I'm buying a brand new game, Argos or Smyth's always have it significantly cheaper. As in, sometimes €15-20 cheaper....the one near me hardly even sells games anymore, just merchendise and accessories. The last time I was in there, the 2nd hand prices in the small bin for PS4 was eye-watering. Games that are €10 in CEX, €25 in Gamestop. In fact most of the 2nd hand games were more expensive than buying the games new elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Ugh this attitude really irritates me. If you don't like it, don't shop there but wishing it shuts down is so shïtty.

I traded in PES2019 a month or two ago (a game a year old with its sequel nearly out) and got a preorder on Luigis Mansion 3 for €10. Earlier this year I bought Little Dragon Cafe for 20 in Argos, traded it into GS for 60 credit and got Days Gone for free. I think I upgraded my PS4 to a PS4 Pro for about €100 last year. Some unbelievably good deals. They are so good for some trade in deals if you're clever with your trades.

Less competition is always a bad thing.

I agree. I would sorely miss their upgrade deals.

I've done very well with OG Xbox - Xbox One S - Xbox One X and PS4 Slim - PS4 Pro at the right times.

Also took advantage of upgrading my daughter's OG Switch to a Switch 1.1 for €30.

Yes, they can be gougers ... but they can also be offering things at next to nothing if you work it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Oh no....I won't be able to buy second hand games for a shocking €54.99...... Sob.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    That’s the problem. Do more buying :D

Nah. Number one gouging store in Ireland. Can't say I am surprised and I can't say I am sorry to see them close.

I do feel sorry for the staff that are affected by job loses, but gamestop can **** right off.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They have their issues and are generally anti consumer in a lot aspects but at the same time if they do go under I will miss their ridiculously good value trade in deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Can a PS4 preorder be moved to a switch game? Hopefully I can switch my 4 pre-orders to upcoming games, just in case. Surprised the never got into selling Vinyl, the sold CDs for a while.,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tweaked the thread title a little just to emphasise it’s not all Gamestops closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,085 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sweetie wrote: »
    Can a PS4 preorder be moved to a switch game? Hopefully I can switch my 4 pre-orders to upcoming games, just in case. Surprised the never got into selling Vinyl, the sold CDs for a while.,

Yup it can. I've moved Switch to Xbox before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

For Ireland a combination of loosing some of its bigger competition in the market place and it's inability to grow it's online web front in a meaningful way is doing the damage.

I wanted to order the recent links Awakening limited edition but they weren't selling online. I don't trust the stores to honor them after being burnt a few times.

Hopefully they can turn it around but I feel for it to survive it will have to be a bit more innovative and cut more underperforming stores .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Cant remember the last time i set foot in a game store. Sure why would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just because you don't have a need doesn't mean others don't, not everyone has a decent internet connection to download games. Whilst I won't be losing any sleep over GameStop disappearing (no one to blame but themselves) physical stores are needed by some people.

Just because you don't have a need doesn't mean others don't, not everyone has a decent internet connection to download games. Whilst I won't be losing any sleep over GameStop disappearing (no one to blame but themselves) physical stores are needed by some people.

It's not only the physical need but with the right team they can become a social hub for gamers which is an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I never said it was all GameStops so calm down. It's a few. Over on Reddit a few other people have said their shops up and closed over night. That's shocking. They moved everyone's preorders to other stores without telling them.

I never bought a game from them or a console until it was an amazing deal. Got my X for 90. My pro for 50 and my Switch 2 weeks ago for 30. Then the countless games for free or €10.

And sooooo many pops. I'll kind of miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its easy to look at a gamestop closing , and take a smug kind of pleasure in it, but you know who its really going to hit?
    The kids, who head in with their mam on a saturday morning, after the grocery shopping is done, with a few games to trade in against something new (or used) to play for a week or two before repeating the process. I don't buy much in our local one, but saturday mornings see a brisk trade in the above type of customer
    Its grand being 'woke' on the internet, and saying to go to CEX or buy online, but those alternative outlets just arent availble to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

How many stores are in Dublin City? Think there's 3 on the Northside city centre alone. Can see Liffey st going at the very least. Got some good deals in there last Xmas on labos and a few games.

Its easy to look at a gamestop closing , and take a smug kind of pleasure in it, but you know who its really going to hit?
    The kids, who head in with their mam on a saturday morning, after the grocery shopping is done, with a few games to trade in against something new (or used) to play for a week or two before repeating the process. I don't buy much in our local one, but saturday mornings see a brisk trade in the above type of customer
    Its grand being 'woke' on the internet, and saying to go to CEX or buy online, but those alternative outlets just arent availble to everyone.

I don't think it has anything to do with being woke, when all other competition left the market they acted as most companies would and they upped their prices. They also have fairly bad practices when it comes to some of their selling practices.

Sure it sucks for the local children but a think of the children defense will not protect them from a declining customer base due to digital sales and online retailers. I would go as far as saying in the scenario you described they are heavily taking advantage of those kids.

I think the only thing that will save them is if they can somehow come up with a better online market place and reduce store numbers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

To be fair it’s a VERY small minority who don’t have access to internet these days.

I take no joy at all in seeing GameStop close, job losses etc but it’ll make zero difference to my life as I buy everything online.

They didn’t move with the times, similar to hmv, xrtravision etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Cant remember the last time i set foot in a game store. Sure why would you?

I can't trade up my PS4 to a PS4 pro by post? I can't trade in my game against an offer to get a new game for €10. The reasons are numerous.
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Is less competition really a bad thing when the cheaper, better rivals are the ones left over? .

Yes. It is categorically a bad thing. If a store has no competition, there is no reason to undercut prices or offer brilliant deals.

And as has been mentioned over and over again, Gamestop have offered some incredible deals that Smyths or CEX cannot compete with.

Jesus the attitude from other posters of 'well I hate it so close it down' is shockingly narrow minded. Nobody's forcing you in the door but there are people who have a use for it whether it's a necessary or opportunistic use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Can't say I'm surprised to hear this at all - Gamestop kept their prices as high as they possibly could while the likes of Argos and even Tesco were cutting them out of the picture for new releases by about 15-20e. Even their pre-owned games are generally more expensive than can be found in Smyths or others.

It's a relic now and passed saving if you ask me. CEX have the 2nd hand market sown up now and with a move to online downloads, Gamestop's days are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Will there be any list released of closing down stores?

Have cyberpunk pre-ordered in Patrick street in cork. Bit worried now, it seems busy enough.

Have to say similair to other people the trade in deals can be great but the pricing of the games even used are extortionate, when you get them online/smyths/argos way cheaper.

On a different note the three main websites I use thegamecollection, base and simplygames are all Uk based. Gonna be limited post brexit.

• Advertisement

Will there be any list released of closing down stores?

Have cyberpunk pre-ordered in Patrick street in cork. Bit worried now, it seems busy enough.

Have to say similair to other people the trade in deals can be great but the pricing of the games even used are extortionate, when you get them online/smyths/argos way cheaper.

On a different note the three main websites I use thegamecollection, base and simplygames are all Uk based. Gonna be limited post brexit.

Ugh. I use TheGameCollection for most of my games and hadn't even thought of Brexit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Ugh. I use TheGameCollection for most of my games and hadn't even thought of Brexit :(

Used to be big fans of them but found simplygames cheaper and in fact quicker with delivery at times. More limited selections at times.

Yeah its gonna be a mess, no cheap games anymore or reasonably priced

Why do people keep saying CEX is better, it is in my hole, you get more money off them trading in but I've never bought a game off them. Way over priced.

Also Argos and Smyths are cheap so if Gamestop did ever go under we've plenty of selection still. GameStop never saw Argos or Smyths as competition as they're not really for gamers... idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying CEX is better, it is in my hole, you get more money off them trading in but I've never bought a game off them. Way over priced.

Also Argos and Smyths are cheap so if Gamestop did ever go under we've plenty of selection still. GameStop never saw Argos or Smyths as competition as they're not really for gamers... idiots.

If you are only interested in cash trade in then they are unbeatable, I wouldn’t ever get store credit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

If Gamestop go under, I'll be there to p1ss on their ashes. Absolute rip off for EVERYTHING. If ever I buy CD games, it's always Smyths I'll go to. My sympathies to the workers, but good riddance to the company.

If you are only interested in cash trade in then they are unbeatable, I wouldn’t ever get store credit though.

Oh I know but that's all. Not for buying anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

And as has been mentioned over and over again, Gamestop have offered some incredible deals that Smyths or CEX cannot compete with.

OK, but the odd good deal can't sustain a business which is 90% crap value. It's like a local pub having a good deal on Vodka/Red Bull but every pint is 50% more expensive then every other local pub. EG...their actual bread and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I like them I hope they don't close would like them to extend the amount of action figures and stuff they get in was very surprised to see Neca stuff in there last year , didn't last long though pop's are everywhere though

Homelander wrote: »
    OK, but the odd good deal can't sustain a business which is 90% crap value. It's like a local pub having a good deal on Vodka/Red Bull but every pint is 50% more expensive then every other local pub. EG...their actual bread and butter.

I never once said that an odd good deal sustains a business. Never.

I said that claiming that Gamestop is absolutely useless, pointless and overpriced in everything they do, is factually incorrect. It was supporting my statement that people do get good value out of it being an active store occasionally so it falling off the face of the earth is a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I used to do a bit of promo work for game stores and found that gamestop had a really good targetted niche market of non-gamer parents. If you didn't play games and your kids were at you to get something, gamestop was a logical choice. Especially for the Dads :D Men who are well trained to go "if I need X I go to THIS store".

I have used gamestop for hardware pretty much consistently for the last 10 years without issue. I'll be sad to see them go, but I have to admit, they haven't really evolved to keep my interest.

Advertisement